Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DH - emotional affair with someone else - gutted!

(40 Posts)
printmeanicephoto Tue 04-Dec-12 17:29:40

We have been married nearly 20 years and have 2 kids at primary school. I recently asked DH if there was somone else as he kept on disappearing off in the evenings for two or three hours at a time! He said there had been (he is generally incapable of lying when asked something directly) but he said it was going to end. Turns out it was an "emotional affair" - a friendship that had blossomed over the last year and had culminated, two months ago in several kissing bouts - no sex apparently (btw I do believe him re: the no sex). As far as I know there have not been any other women.

Apparently, according to his parents (who are also generally incapable of lying) he had been to see them in tears the day before I asked him if there was someone else. He was struggling with guilt and his parents urged him to break off the affair. The day after I found out he ended the affair via email and copied me in. I vaguely know who the woman is as I've met her once.

Am really struggling with my feelings over all this. Feel devastated. We had grown apart I guess but I feel so betrayed. He is sorry that it happened but somehow that doesn't seem enough - I need to feel loved by him again. I know the affair is over now and it is early days - but is it possible to rebuild things after this or for you would it result in the end of the marriage? What would you need in order to rebuild trust? I just can't think straight about it all. We are trying to rebuild things and talking things over alot (he is still here at home, I didn't kick him out) but it all seems so hard! Going to counselling helps - but is not a magic bullet!

Has anyone else come out the other end after something like this, happier with a stronger marriage (after a lot of graft obviously)? Any tips?

Xales Tue 04-Dec-12 20:18:49

So he told her it was over and then the next day went to see her to end it face to face. Why? Because he owed her? Because he cared about her? What about what he owed you? What about how he is supposed to care for you?

He put her feelings over yours straight away.

He lasted less than a day saying it was over and there would not be anything between them any more didn't he!

Will he need to go and see her again if she is upset or needs him?

He has to prove that you can trust him. Great way to start already going to see her the day after ending it sad

Xales Tue 04-Dec-12 20:20:06

Unfortunately you can't police him as that will kill anything left stone dead.

And he can easily meet her in lunch hours...

Doha Tue 04-Dec-12 20:20:20

Not sure l would have emailed OW to be honest-it wasn't her who cheated on your wedding vows your anger is directed at the wrong person.
Your H seems to have got off lightly. I think he should be asked to go stay with his DP's for a while until you really get your head clear and work out what you want.
I would be surprised if it is really all over especially after their meet up. Your H really has to be made aware of just what he stands to loose if he carrys on with the OW and just now all he is really thinking about is himself.
He broke off the most likely sexual affair at his parents suggestion -it was NOT his idea, he just couldn't cope with the guilt. Where was the remorse there OP. IT is all about him.
If his parents had suggested leaving you and going to the OW would he have taken there advice???? Just asking......

Wishingforthesun Tue 04-Dec-12 20:20:46

It's an affair simple I also would bet he has done more! But how have you been in the relationship have you become "settled" I see so many people on here and around who say they can't be arsed to treat there dh. and constantly bash them ( don't think I'm saying you do, more a reflection on so many!)
Relationships if wanted can be fixed but we do neglect them! This happened to someone I know and they have now remembered why they are together and have moved on fine.

suburbophobe Tue 04-Dec-12 20:25:00

Sounds like he has checked out -sorry.

Up to you now what you want to do with your life and that of your children.

I couldn't stay in a marriage/relationship like that cos the trust has gone.

suburbophobe Tue 04-Dec-12 20:25:29

<speaking as a LP>

Charbon Tue 04-Dec-12 20:31:41

I don't imagine the difficulties in the relationship were one-sided or that any neglect of the marriage was the sole province of the OP's. Often it's a good question to ask when did he last make you feel cherished, desired, loved and respected? And if that's a long time ago, why didn't you have an affair?

If he went to see her after the E mail, I understand why he did that but it just demonstrates that his feelings for her are very strong. And you'll never really know what was said. Why he was ending the relationship and why he is staying with you. The E mail is now worth nothing.

It's very important that he's staying for the right reasons and because he hasn't had to face any losses with you yet, he might not know that. Instead his focus will be on the loss of this other woman and that relationship.

It's also really important that you want to stay for the right reasons. If you are so different and the marriage was bad, why do you want to stay in it? Especially now that he has done this?

Abitwobblynow Tue 04-Dec-12 20:42:06

Wishing although I agree with what you say (I got 'bashy') you are kind of missing out the other side of it, the bit we have no control over: and that is the bashy stuff happens only after husbands have consistently ignored any attempt on our parts to be heard, raise issues and move forward on stuff.

It really isn't as simple as 'treat him nice and then he won't stray'. We have needs to be nurtured and cherished too you know.

Distrustinggirlnow Tue 04-Dec-12 22:05:00

Oh OP it's horrible isn't it, I feel your pain, I really do.
What I wished someone had of told me when I found out about DH's flings, is that they are capable of lying. Mine did and I never knew, I really had no idea at all. Yours has been lying too, probably every day, about where he was going etc.
Has he been possessive over his phone? Does he have to work late, start earlier sometimes. Does he have to stay away occasionally, with a very plausible reason?
I've also found that they drip feed. Little bits of information. They'll tell you the least they think they can get away with.
And if you ask, for example, so did you just meet her at lunchtime, the answer will be yes, as that's what they think you want to hear.
I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I would say its gone further than kissing.
What is he doing to try and make amends.
Yes you can recover, but its a long road and needs total transparency from him.
Good luck!
Xx

printmeanicephoto Tue 04-Dec-12 22:51:11

Not bashy, but our house had become a battleground over last 2 years . He would say something insensitive, bordering on unkind IMO and I would react.

Charbon Tue 04-Dec-12 22:54:20

How sure are you that this relationship only started in the past year? How long has he known her?

EdithWeston Tue 04-Dec-12 23:18:13

It's the emotional content of affairs and the inherent dishonesty towards a spouse that is often the most devastating part of an affair. Taking emotional intimacy out if a marriage is every bit as bad as profligate physical intimacy.

He has his parents available to him (and tough love from them might help him sort out his priorities). Do you have RL support?

AgathaF Wed 05-Dec-12 08:31:13

he did go and see her to end it properly the day after email was sent. He rang me to say he wanted to say goodbye face to face and that he was on his way, but he wanted to clear it with me first.

He wanted to go to say goodbye. He wanted to clear it with you first (permission to ease his conscience). He, he, he. What about what you wanted? What about putting you first? Is he now walking around with a face like a wet weekend grieving the loss of his lovely 'friendship'?

Does he really, really want your relationship to work? Has he spelt out some of what he will do to try to make that happen? Has he given you transparency over his phone, emails etc? Do you know where he is whenever you want to?

MadAboutHotChoc Wed 05-Dec-12 08:42:11

You say things have been less than great for two years - would that be when OW first came onto the scene? Often the cheater will become distant, withdraw from family life, become critical etc in order to create emotional space - so that they can have an affair.

The fact that he is putting her needs first show how attached he is to her and he will stay in this fantasy fuelled bubble for a while.

To burst this bubble, he needs a hard dose of reality to hit him and that means you need to get tough and tell him you need space and time to consider your future and whether you still want to be married to him.

Please do not go round being the perfect wife - this is guaranteed to fail as the only thing that will motivate him is LOSS.

JustFabulous Wed 05-Dec-12 13:37:42

Maybe your relationship only started to fall apart when he started snogging another woman...sad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now