Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

think OH is having an affair

(35 Posts)
domesticgoodness Thu 29-Nov-12 20:57:42

OH and I have been married for 10 years with 2 DC (6 and 4). I thought we were very happy, but last few weeks have been snippy with each other. i have put this down to both being busy and tired and have started looking forward to Xmas, our first with just the 4 of us. Anyway, decided to look through his work mobile yesterday and found a message he had texted to a lady saying "hi baby, this is my work number if you need to get hold of me xxxxxx" she then responds saying something about you don't want my voice bouncing around the car and he says "i can't think of anything better". She signs off with lots of hearts.
I don't know how to confront him, the number has been sent to his phone from his personal mobile, which he ALWAYS has on him. Idon't want to confront him and find out its true and he leaves before Xmas. sorry, but I'm too stuck here. please don't just tell me to ask him about it. I am so scared, and can't imagine being without him. We literally did our wills 2 weeks ago, how can I be in this situation?

EdithWeston Sat 01-Dec-12 09:31:25

OP: how do things seem now you've had a couple of nights to sleep on it?

puds11 Sat 01-Dec-12 09:20:03

Hissletoe your last sentenced made me larf! I see what you mean now.

HisstletoeAndWhine Fri 30-Nov-12 12:15:06

I know the accidental word is a little odd! smile

I meant it as opposed to a serial adultered thsat feels entitled to shag eveything that moves, and therefore wouldn't give a shit about OP's feelings as long as he got his jollies.

I agree it's not a case of losing one's footing and landing Dick-deep in some random woman, it's unacceptable. Utterly so.

MrsMelons Fri 30-Nov-12 10:46:42

Definitely don't call the OW - IMO your issue is with your DH at the moment. He has the responsibility and commitment to you.

I am not sure I could not say anything as it would wear me down. I may be inclined to look for further evidence but I am sure that is not really the right thing to do - I just don't think I could help it.

My DH is sometimes over friendly with people but not in a flirty way but he still would never call someone else baby. Maybe hun or something equally as ridiculous as that but baby seems quite personal.

I totally understand about not talking to people in RL but MN is great and everyone will be hear to support you!

EdithWeston Fri 30-Nov-12 10:28:22

If he is being uncharacteristically withdrawn and is fault finding, then this could be another bad indicator (sorry). It is a device for giving yourself "permission" to be with someone else on the (spurious) grounds that things are bad at home (because he's making it that way).

puds11 Fri 30-Nov-12 10:26:27

Erm... whats an accidental adulterer? Surely they all know what they are doing? Having prevented the physicality of adultery doesn't change the intent.

puds11 Fri 30-Nov-12 10:25:13

Don't call other women!!! NO NO NO.

HisstletoeAndWhine Fri 30-Nov-12 09:51:07

The OW doesn't matter, your issue is with H.

Sort it out, be tough, be relentless and refuse to listen to him unless he's begging YOUR forgiveness.

He needs to know that if he screws up, he's OUT.

That's usually enough for the accidental adulterer to get back to heel.

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Fri 30-Nov-12 09:50:54

Dont call the woman! But can you google her phone number and see if anything comes up?

NotQuintAtAllOhNo Fri 30-Nov-12 09:50:28

I suggest confronting him sooner rather than later, before the two of them are totally hooked on each-other. Before he can take for granted that he can move on from you and straight into her home.

Asking him to leave while you get your head together and seek legal advice might shock him into reconsidering.

Cherylkerl Fri 30-Nov-12 09:43:24

For the love of god, don't confront the woman. If he is playing away, that'll confirm the rot he's fed her or she's conjured up.

Ask him and ask him face to face. His reaction will tell you everything. Don't give him an opportunity to delete the evidence and tell you the minimum which he can get away with.

dinkybinky Fri 30-Nov-12 09:26:54

I would call the woman! Im sorry you are going through this.

HettySunshine Fri 30-Nov-12 09:15:35

Anyway I decided to look through his work mobile

Was there a reason for this? Have you done this before? I'm not judging you at all, i'm just trying to gauge if something had raised your suspicions.

It does sound pretty bad but not necessarily a full blown affair - it might just be that he has a bit of an attraction to this woman and is indulging himself. It doesn't mean he wants to break up his home life.

I do think you need to speak to him about it. He may be mortified that you have seen the messages and this could spur him on to break off contact with her.

Of course you have to do what is best for you but keeping it inside is not going to stop you wondering.

(Hug)

HisstletoeAndWhine Fri 30-Nov-12 07:39:51

If this is a new thing, as you suspect, you confronting him early, cool, matter of fact, telling him to go will be just the thing to snap him back into sharp focus.

He needs to think about his life without you, and being an every other weekend dad.

Shock him to the core. Zero tolerance.

You have more of a chance salvaging this if you react, than if you enable, cling and beg.

Be strong.

AlienRefluxLooksLikeSnow Fri 30-Nov-12 07:25:47

confront him OP ffs, you need to know what's going on, for your health, your self respect and your future happiness, just ask him.

MadAboutHotChoc Fri 30-Nov-12 07:16:40

I know you have said that you do not want to confront him, but if he is having an affair, he could move out any time and there is nothing you can do about it sad

Your only chance is really to talk to him now and nip things in the bud (if it has not gone any further) - the longer you leave it, the more addicted he will be to OW.

MadAboutHotChoc Fri 30-Nov-12 07:11:31

Don't beat yourself up for snooping - I always say listen to your instincts.

It could be the beginning of an affair or a stupid flirtation - the latter is still disrespectful, show poor boundaries and it is often how an affair begins - crossing several lines down the slippery slope of an affair.

I would look at this link and have a discussion with your DH about boundaries, appropriate behaviour etc so that he is fully aware of what you consider to be acceptable.

www.shirleyglass.com/book.htm

ATourchOfInsanity Thu 29-Nov-12 23:37:17

Out of interest, did you see his Will? I know they have to be independent, but just wondered if he is not perhaps planning on doing a runner...trying not to be negative here, but it's a bit of a no brainer that it is a negative situation.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 29-Nov-12 23:33:02

"don't let others talk you into confronting him"

Yes... just listen to the ones that would prefer you to be meek and subordinate, never challenging this man about his behaviour.... hmm

LadyLapsang Thu 29-Nov-12 23:15:13

OP, why were you checking up on him by looking through his phone messages? Does he do this to you?

You don't have to confront him if you don't want to; likewise, if he were having an affair you don't have to take any particular action. It's your choice.Of course, that does not mean that he may not take unilateral action himself.

I would say, however, that it's not a great place to be in when you feel so dependent on someone that you don't think you will manage without them - needy is not attractive. I would concentrate on doing whatever suits you and don't let others talk you into confronting him if you don't want to. Of course, if you do think he is having an affair you will need to make sure you get yourself checked and protected from STIs.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 29-Nov-12 22:53:08

" please don't just tell me to ask him about it. I am so scared, and can't imagine being without him."

Then do nothing. Nothing at all. Ignore it, put your head in the sand and forget you saw those messages.... Trouble is that what will actually happen is that you won't be able to ignore or forget. Every time he walks out of the door you'll be convinced he's on his way to someone else. Every minor problem day to day you'll attribute to the affair. By Christmas you'll be a bag of nerves. I'm sorry your self-esteem is so low and I'm sorry that independence scares you so much. But I'm also sorry that you're opting to dodge the issue because your life will only get worse if you do.

ATourchOfInsanity Thu 29-Nov-12 22:39:59

I was thinking the same, but doesn't hurt to try to guilt him into an admission. Or perhaps lead him to draw his own similarities if it hasn't (which it probably hasn't) crossed his mind.

dequoisagitil Thu 29-Nov-12 22:18:13

People often talk a good game about other people's infidelity, but can at the same time not apply those standards to themselves. Don't take any of his posturing about your BIL's ex as proof he wouldn't cheat.

ATourchOfInsanity Thu 29-Nov-12 22:15:44

Could you use his brother's situation to get the ball rolling? Not questioning him as such, but perhaps just say something like "I was thinking how sad it was that your brother is alone and was expecting to be so happily married for the rest of his life. I really didn't see it coming, did you?" - perhaps he will let some tell tale signs slip or at the very least think about if he is being as dishonest as his brother's ex?

Only way I can think of gauging a reaction without being direct.

fengirl1 Thu 29-Nov-12 22:11:38

OP - staying together 'for the sake of the children' doesn't work, believe me! All it does is prolong the agony. Ask him - and expect an adult sensible response. If he can't give you one, then take it from there. My XH (note no D) would not leave for three months and it was the most miserable time of my life. I hope this is all innocent for your sake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now