Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Quick Condom Query

(51 Posts)
CSIScunthorpe Thu 29-Nov-12 18:28:35

So let's say you found a packet of Durex Extra Safe condoms in someone's overnight bag, would you jump to any conclusions about any particular sexual activities someone had been involved in ?

( Name-changing regular )

mathanxiety Mon 03-Dec-12 03:46:33

Sounds so like my exH.

Looking back, I wish I had confronted him with what I knew and told him I expected him to stick around and support me while I went back and retrained, with the promise that we could divorce when I had a decent job and childcare sorted. We could have had some sort of open relationship while I got back on my feet. I wouldn't have cared one bit if he was out living it up to his heart's content with men or women for that matter -- I knew when I found the evidence I found that there was no way I was ever going to remain married to him.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, and he might have baulked because it obviously meant a lot to him to present himself as a straight married man -- supporting me through retraining with the promise of divorce once I was set up would not have had any obvious advantage to him. I doubt if appeals to his integrity would have worked as the man had none, or appeals to his sense of fairness, since he was the most self centered and selfish and self absorbed individual I have ever known, but maybe an appeal based on him having to pay less alimony or getting 50/50 on the house sale instead of 55/45 because I had a job might have been successful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now