Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Brave Babes Battle Bus - Spicing Up The Winter Nights With Rich Hot Chocolate And Thermal Tights!

(1000 Posts)
Mouseface Tue 27-Nov-12 21:13:48

Hello, I'm Mouse smile

I'm one of the Brave Babes travelling on this fantabulous Bus, on it's journey to the wonderful world of sobriety. smile

The great thing is, that the people on here are a real mixed bunch. Some are drinking regularly, some aren't. Some are sober and have been for any number of days, some weeks, months and yep, some even for years.

There's no judging pants allowed, no savoury flans either wink, just lots of unconditional support from many varied sources. Yes, some of us have been here from the start but please don't let that stop you posting, this thread is for EVERYONE and it always has been smile

If you'd like to have a look back, here are some links. One to the previous thread and one to the very first, and the reason we are all still here.

See you soon,

Mouse xx

PREVIOUS THREAD

FIRST EVER THREAD

babyjane1 Thu 13-Dec-12 17:32:54

help and venus can you move in with me????? Great words of wisdom from 2 very calm sounding babes. Just been swimming, having a cappuccino and heading to pick up pizza (well need to treat myself) and I reckon I can say tonight I will not drink, thank god for you all x x x

LRDtheFeministDude Thu 13-Dec-12 17:32:57

Good luck with that then choc - will be thinking of you, see you later this evening!

venusandmars Thu 13-Dec-12 17:35:53

soma well done on missing out the the Xmas do - they are awful things. Bad food, bad dancing, cheap drinks, terrible behaviour. Are you back on your antabuse yet?

Re anxiety or depression. I'm really fortunate in that I'm not a long-term sufferer, but I do remember the massive difference in anxiety levels if I'd had a lot to drink. I have a minor phobia but I found that the day after a binge that had changed into a massive phobia.

helpyourself Thu 13-Dec-12 17:49:56

That's brilliant Soma and baby you're addressing every part of HALT!

SobaSoma Thu 13-Dec-12 17:53:06

Yes back on antabuse Venus while I try to sort my head out. Not a solution by itself so thinking of going back to AA.

venusandmars Thu 13-Dec-12 17:57:48

soba no, maybe not a solution, but a damn good sticking plaster for you in the meantime. And think about how much good you are doing for your body and your mental health when you are taking it smile

kotinka Thu 13-Dec-12 18:12:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PurpleWolfe Thu 13-Dec-12 19:37:32

Thanks Faire I like the bowling (and other) ideas but dancing, in the past, has HAD to be after a few glasses of wine. It strikes me, the realme, is so much more introverted than my drinking alter-ego! I'm facing having to re-learn who I am and how to deal with almost every social occasion. sad Fuck, this is hard.

Your kind word were heartening Soma. I find myself frightened to face life, new relationships, new experiences without alcohol. It's been such a big part of my life so far - a bit like stabilisers on a bike (don't worry, I know the irony of that particular simile). The Tasty Farmer seems like a 'normal' drinker but then, I guess, so do I until you get to know the 'real' me. I suppose I viewed alcohol as the 'oil' for the wheels of life. I'm pretty sure I've scared a few chaps off by my excesses. I just want, so much, to be different - normal. I, too, have made some bad choices under 'the influence'. I've put myself in, potentially, dangerous situations due to alcohol - and vowed the next day to never to that again. Sigh.

Joey It is a mad time of year and we seem to have to be all things to all people! Had to 'man' two stalls at the school Christmas Fayre today - but - enjoyed it! Who knew!

The Good News Bit. The Tasty Farmer had someone crash into him in his Land Rover this morning (that's NOT the Good News bit!!) and he text me to tell me (THAT'S the good news bit!). Maybe, just maybe, I'm creating a Wolfe sized patch in his life?!

Baby and Ma Sending you heaps of hugs. I'm doing really crap at the moment and have no idea how I have fallen so far from how well I was doing 7 days ago. I suppose it's about perseverance. My weight is going up and my self esteem is going down and I don't understand how I seem to have so little hold on the whole friggin' process. I wish us all the courage and strength to get back to a better place - really soon. xxx

Thanks Green I'm really trying to be good to myself but really struggling! During my drinking 'lifetime', I've been pregnant 3 times and each time I've managed to give up totally. It seems as if giving up for someone else is more important than giving up for me?!

I have sooo much to do before my friend turns up tomorrow for a sleep over. Why do I do this to myself?

Pissed off with myself, very unhappy and in need of answers. x

aliasjoey Thu 13-Dec-12 19:52:09

wonderful wise words from Venus as always

I haven't walked the dog, I have to phone my mother and have another gp appointment tomorrow. many triggers, but no wine in the house. gosh I wonder how long it will take before alcohol is not the automatic response... months? years?

kotinka Thu 13-Dec-12 19:53:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PurpleWolfe Thu 13-Dec-12 19:57:48

Hey Koti I know how you feel but sometimes, that's just how it goes, don't think it's personal at all. I totally know what you mean about the adverts. It seems so bloody unfair - here are we, trying to resist, and there they are, promoting lovely looking booze!? Bastards!

Sending hugs, Koti xxxxx

LRDtheFeministDude Thu 13-Dec-12 19:59:04

Well, I've barely got back on here, but I saw your posts, kot, and posted back.

I hope you're ok, love.

greeneyed Thu 13-Dec-12 20:14:31

Sorry if I've made you feel that way koti I'm conscious I don't name check or respond to evryone - it's hard to keep up and I'll generally only namecheck if I have something to add or suggest to someone -hence usually a wave to all the babes out there - please don't take it personally babe x

shaketheshame Thu 13-Dec-12 20:20:00

Hi all !

shaketheshame Thu 13-Dec-12 20:27:33

Sorry sent it too early ! I need to chat tonight. I went out tonight and I had two glasses of mulled wine. I just love mulled wine si much, I was not after getting tipsy or else. I just wanted a hot drink with a lovely sugary taste. I don't even like red wine. Do you think I'm in trouble ? I have no inclination of resuming regular drinking as I get my kicks in other way. One minute I'm worried, the next I'm not. I'm just debating with myself and making a bug deal out if it. What do you think ?

babyjane1 Thu 13-Dec-12 20:28:45

kotinka thank you thank you for your advice earlier, I actually typed you a big long message earlier but my battery died and I lost it, your a super duper babe, I'm using an iPhone so I can only see last few comments and my memory is shit, all your wonderful comments are hugely appreciated (big giant squeeze the life outta ye hug) purple it's been your amazing example that let me believe at all that I could follow your amazing success and that's not changed, your wee blip is just that and you showing us your wobbles make us are we at not alone with ours. Everyone here is indispensable to me (nodding my head with great enthusiasm to confirm) x x x x x x x x x

LRDtheFeministDude Thu 13-Dec-12 20:36:34

shake - personally, I'd say just tell yourself you've stopped, you're not having any more, and pour yourself a glass of water/whatever your non-alc poison is.

If you work yourself up about it and start trying to second-guess whether it's a problem, it'll become one, if that makes sense? I find it's really easy to start thinking 'hmm, I managed to just have a couple and stop ... maybe I'm fine to have more' or 'hmm, I had two, I've failed, I might as well have some more'. And that is how I end up back on here!!

Practically, it will make you feel a bit more like having more now it's in your system but you can overcome that!

babyjane1 Thu 13-Dec-12 20:39:53

shake don't you worry your pretty head, you've done nothing that millions of other people aren't doing!! Don't over analyse or the wine witch will really pounce, you are vigilant and that's brilliant but absolutely no harm done x x

babyjane1 Thu 13-Dec-12 20:46:53

We are all fabulous, we care enough about ourselves and our families to want to stop/reduce drinking and that's a whole lot more than the selfish alki's out there. We are good people with a bad habit, lets put the whacking stick away and be kind to ourselves!!!!! X x

aliasjoey Thu 13-Dec-12 21:42:00

koti I know how you feel about being invisible, maybe it's because the Bus moves so fast? sometimes I write a post, and by the time I come back 2 pages have passed and everythings moved on...!

are you still feeling poorly?

babyjane1 Thu 13-Dec-12 21:43:24

kotinka are you there? You have helped me manage my night without wine, we need you!! X x x x

chocolateistheenemy Thu 13-Dec-12 22:03:17

Evening to you lovely Babes
I am tired and already in bed but just wanted to come on and say that I did manage to half-salvage my evening, in that I'm not lying here in a drunken, knackered stupor. It's tiny steps for me I think.
Already I feel the collective supportive arms of you all and hope I can reciprocate some time...
Night all.

babyjane1 Thu 13-Dec-12 22:10:12

Night and sweet dreams to all the lovely babes, I'm sober and victorious xxxx

greeneyed Thu 13-Dec-12 22:46:02

Well done babes x

LRDtheFeministDude Thu 13-Dec-12 23:14:37

Well done baby, and well done choc for whatever 'half-salvage' was. Tiny steps are a good way forward.

I'm also sober and so will say goodnight, and thanks to all the Brave Babes. smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.