Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

A Sex Question......

(400 Posts)
moonblushtomato Fri 23-Nov-12 22:18:40

DH has a bee in his bonnet (or underpants) that we are not having enough sex. Just wondered what the going rate is these days?
We are in on our early 40s, have been married for nearly 8 years and have 3DCs aged 15, 6 and 4.
btw we are averaging about once a week which I'm quite happy with.

AuntLucyInTransylvania Fri 23-Nov-12 22:22:03

That would be fine for me..

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 23-Nov-12 22:23:01

How much housework does he do?

Research shows that men who do more housework, have more sex.

Just sayin'

Also how good is it when you have it?

It doesn't matter what the going rate is, it's how often you want to do it and how you want to do it that matters.

ledkr Fri 23-Nov-12 22:27:46

What is it with these blokes who coldly announce this? If you want sex then seduce your woman with the same stuff that you did when you first did it. Personality,humour,nights out or in and basic bloody techniques.

AlreadyScone Fri 23-Nov-12 22:29:50

I agree with ledkr.

AnyFucker Fri 23-Nov-12 22:34:09

Men who make pronouncements like this think that once they are married the woman is there to service them sexually.

It's that mindset that needs acknowledging...not asking strangers on t'internet how often they have sex.

AuntLucyInTransylvania Fri 23-Nov-12 22:40:01

Humm. Some good points above..

TisILeclerc Fri 23-Nov-12 22:41:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ledkr Fri 23-Nov-12 22:45:40

If feel very turned off if dh discussed our lack of sex like choosing a school for the kids.
I'd be quite turned on if he arranged a night out or in, scrubbed up nicely and chatted easily to me showing interest in my life and paying me complements, reminiscing and making me laugh.

moonblushtomato Fri 23-Nov-12 22:50:02

Hmm, I agree with ledkr too! Feel a lot more up for it after a nice meal/evening together.
fastidia it is very good when we have it but most of the time I feel so tired when it gets to bedtime!
anyf interesting point about DH's mindset and I never think of you as strangers! More, supportive virtual friends smile

Tommy Fri 23-Nov-12 22:53:22

once a week?
blimey - what a lucky chap grin

ClippedPhoenix Fri 23-Nov-12 23:02:39

What has he done lately to make you "feel" loved and appreciated?

I tell you what OP if a man started moaning he wasn't getting enough like it should be "on tap" I wouldn't like to repeat what I'd say.

moonblushtomato Fri 23-Nov-12 23:08:53

Think I know what my response will be next time I'm knackered and he 's all frisky!
He does make me feel loved and appreciated, I just don't want sex as much as I did pre DC! I now prefer sleep and/or cuddles.

AmandaCooper Fri 23-Nov-12 23:14:34

Surely someone can tell their partner that they would like to have more sex without it meaning that they think their partner is only there to service them sexually?

FastidiaBlueberry Fri 23-Nov-12 23:18:01

So you're tired but he isn't?

Why isn't he tired?

If you're doing the same amount of work, you should be equally tired. So maybe he needs to do more so he's a bit more tired and you need to do less so you're not quite as tired.

And also agree with ledkr and AF re not expecting sex to be another domestic service.

SolidGoldYESBROKEMYSPACEBAR Fri 23-Nov-12 23:22:33

OK, some people have higher libidos than others. It's not necessarily true that a man who would like to have more sex is a lazy, entitled, sexist tosspot though it usually is.

Once a week is pretty reasonable, though. Do you enjoy it when you do it? Or does it feel like 'Oh, saturday night, better open my legs so he doesn't sulk'?

ClippedPhoenix Fri 23-Nov-12 23:22:56

If your libido has altered then it has, tell him to stop pressurising you.

cronullansw Sat 24-Nov-12 02:35:23

Quote; AF Men who make pronouncements like this think that once they are married the woman is there to service them sexually.

Are you really making such a sweeping, sexist generalisation AF?

ClippedPhoenix Sat 24-Nov-12 02:40:27

are you really such a wanker cron?

AmandaCooper Sat 24-Nov-12 07:09:09

I think people are assuming there's some backstory to this on the basis that OP is sufficiently concerned by it to start a Relationships thread - which is probably correct - but I don't agree that there's anything fundamentally sinister about a man, or woman, attempting an honest dialogue with their partner about their sex life.

SolidGoldYESBROKEMYSPACEBAR Sat 24-Nov-12 08:53:52

I agree, Amanda. Even though most of the time a woman wants less sex than her partner it's because he's not doing his share of domestic work - and this has the effect of turning sex into what feels to the woman like another chore she's expected to perform for his benefit - sometimes it's a case of hormonal issues, health, or something else.

And it isn't wrong to talk to your partner if you are unhappy, as long as 'talking' isn't 'bullying and blaming'.

ledkr Sat 24-Nov-12 08:54:05

Not sinister but a bit clinical and IMO going about tackling it practically would be more effective.

Xenia Sat 24-Nov-12 09:21:55

Yes, why are you tired and he isn't? Also sex does not have to be carved out of sleep time. It could be 3 hours on Sunday afternoon when he's taken the children to his mother's or whatever and given you a long lie in to 11am.

AnyFucker Sat 24-Nov-12 10:25:40

"men who" (behave in a certain way) and "all men" does not convey the same meaning, cronulla

AmandaCooper Sat 24-Nov-12 11:32:32

I have said to DH before now that I would like us to have more sex; he has said he's too tired. Does this imply I think he's some kind of domestic sex appliance who's there to serve me sexually and/or that I don't pull my weight in the partnership?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now