Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

relationships with Ex family...what feels right...

(5 Posts)
smileyforest Tue 13-Nov-12 23:11:46

Personally....when both my marriages ended (sounds bad but.... bad luck)...I distanced myself from nephews/nieces SIL MIL FIL BIL..etc...etc...I just felt they weren't 'blood' relatives......and it would just complicate my new relationship....My kids are grown so always left it to them who they wanted to keep in touch with...I have no desire to do so even though I was close to some...just felt it was all part of moving on....
How do others feel ???

smileyforest Tue 13-Nov-12 23:57:01

Any thoughts???

OpheliaPayneAgain Wed 14-Nov-12 06:16:15

Unless you have made friends with specific people there would be no need to maintain a close personal relationship

I on the other hand maintain a good relationship with my husband's ex-wife's mother! Very Jeremy Kyle (especially explaining who I am at parties to people who don't know the situation) but it works for us.

I think it's so variable, you can't impose 'normal' on these kind of relationships... Some work, maintain those. Others don't, let those drift once children are old enough to maintain contact themselves.

Lueji Wed 14-Nov-12 06:41:33

I have been trying to keep some relationship with nephews and nieces for DS's sake.
Only a far as it has been mutual.

But I have to be careful about personal information.
And have distanced from inlaws because ex lives with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now