Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Am I too hard?

(87 Posts)
springyhope Wed 03-Oct-12 23:36:17

A lodger arrived today and, how to say this - she was difficult from the off. I need the money, she needed the room and I thought ah well, see how it goes (didn't expect it to last long). We bashed out payment terms and, as the intro had been short notice (both of us recommended to the other by a friend last night), she said she would go to the bank to get the money. Then she decided she would transfer it on the internet ("I don't want to go out now") - by now her stuff was in the room [<< yy I'm an idiot]. There was a problem with transferring it on t'internet (...) and she put her boots on to go to the cashpoint, while I left to go out for the night. She said she would put the money on the table for when I got back - "A nice treat for you" (treat? er no, payment , love)

Got back, no money on the table. She's upstairs in her room, showered and cosy. I call up "where's the money?" and she mumbled about, dithering up there. "Can I have the money please? I expected it on the table when I got home". Waited. Waited. Eventually she comes downstairs (I was pretty pissed off by now), purse in hand. Purse stayed closed. Waited. She launches into a speech that she's had second thoughts (purse still closed) and I was quick to say she can't 'have second thoughts' when her feet are under the table and she's freshly showered and had spent the evening at my house (I had also given her a bit of supper); to which she retorted that she hadn't signed a contract....

to which I was short and deadly sharp. She tried various manipulations <yawn> but no joy for her on those. PUrse still closed. She said she was going to leave there and then, I said not without paying me. I thought for a bit, then said £30 for the night (for mucking me about, chiefly). Dear God, that purse creaked open very, very eventually, and she put the £30 on the table, folded up.

She cranked up to manipulate a bit more and I cut her off, saying I hoped she'd sleep well but I expected her to leave in the morning. I'm here logging on to MN and the door goes - she's gone, it's pouring with rain, she doesn't know where she is (new to the city), no buses running now, no taxis here. And I'm still sitting here....

too soft, more like. But she's a woman in a strange place who doesn't know where she is and has gone off in a flounce. yy I get mighty pissed off when people manipulate, heart turns to stone: absolute zero tolerance. But... should I go after her? She doesn't know where she is. She's obviously a vulnerable sort, in her way (iyswim). She's 41 and a royal pain in the arse

I expect she's sobbing up the road...

Opentooffers Thu 04-Oct-12 19:23:58

geegee a strangely aggressive way to express it, but I think the point is if one is not doing a legal let, then not much room to complain when it goes 'tits up'.

Opentooffers Thu 04-Oct-12 19:25:11

... and if you take the piss, be prepared to have i taken out of you too.

geegee888 Thu 04-Oct-12 19:31:57

What was illegal about it? I assume you mean in the civil sense? The OP offered a contract but it wasn't signed before the prospective tenant moved in. Hardly illegal or even that unusual.

And as far as I'm aware, renting a room in your home isn't going to join the traditional professions any time soon and attracts rather generous tax allowances.

I'm not really getting the vibe that the OP is some criminal landlord mastermind, somehow.

panicnotanymore Thu 04-Oct-12 19:38:05

Under the government 'rent a room' scheme you can let a furnished room in your house, and receive up to £4,250 gross p.a. tax free, without having to declare anything. This applies to owned or rented homes (although if rented you need to clear it with the landlord)

It is a bit much to bandy round accusations of illegal lets opentoffers

Opentooffers Thu 04-Oct-12 22:27:06

Ok, point well made without the snide sarcasm by panic. Thanks for clearing that up. I was questioning, not accusing. All seemed to occur fast for being above board but I concede that it may well of been.
In a nutshell, and more to the point, no she was not too hard but is obviously a nice person for considering her needs regardless of behaviour.

spookytoo Thu 04-Oct-12 23:19:57

I have a property which is let (now by an agent) and was too soft on someone who didn't pay on time, upshot she owes a packet and I have also had lawyers fees etc to try and recoup the money.

Learnt the hard way to 'be hard' and stick to the rules.

tzella Fri 05-Oct-12 07:43:25

Apropos of not much; my neighbour recently took in a colleague (seperated middle-aged man) as a lodger (she variously has lodgers) and he ended up hanging himself off her bannister. Seriously. She opened the front door and there he was sad In summer too sad She knew he wasn't doing that well but... sad

springyhope Fri 05-Oct-12 08:02:39

sad

chipsandmushypeas Fri 05-Oct-12 08:31:39

Screw her. She took the absolute piss and I would've done the same as you op. I thought you were talking about a 16 year old by her behaviour not a 40-something year old woman! Terrible behaviour.

izzyizin Fri 05-Oct-12 08:41:10

How awful for your neighbour, tzella sad I hope she's recovered from the shock and the subsequent trauma of the police investigation etc.

I also hope the poor man's family have found some way to come to terms with his decision to end his life.

tzella Fri 05-Oct-12 08:56:16

izzy We haven't spoken at length but she is being breezy. I can't imagine she's quite over it yet though. I wouldn't be.

izzyizin Fri 05-Oct-12 09:28:00

God, no, nor would I be, tzella. In time it's possible to reach some accomodation with such a dreadful occurence, but you never get completely 'over it'. I hope your neighbour is at least able to enter her home without 'seeing' the past, as it were [sad}

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now