Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Twitter/facebook I love you's?

(59 Posts)
donotsquandertime Mon 01-Oct-12 20:35:33

Just curious really, if any of you have twitter or facebook do you message your partner in the day with I love you's/make statements on twitter sort of " I am so lucky have best husband" type of thing, norm or not ?

snuffaluffagus Fri 05-Oct-12 16:41:50

I usually just post "blurk" under such status updates. Fortunately only a couple of my friends do it.

ChristineDaae Fri 05-Oct-12 06:17:55

Mrskaygee* I think we must share a FB friend! I had this recently too, down to posting a pic of the hospital chair they were sleeping in. WTF?!!
My worst FB friend for this is actually someone I'm close with in real life. Every week she does and excercise class and EVERY week we get an update in the class and how her amazing/gorgeous boyfriend had a bath waitin when she got home. Err actually I know he's a complete dick to you, he could never be seen as gorgeous. And the bath thing - we know he does it EVERY FUCKING WEEK!!!!angry

Berniebennett Fri 05-Oct-12 05:46:37

I agree with all the above it's so infuriating! Even when my partner was on your of afghan we rarely had public displays of emotions (unless it was an accident) we always sent messages private, as I messages him every day!

Luckily I have a fab group of friends who would jump straight on the post saying something like,pass me the sick bucket, so it wouldn't have the desired effect of wanting approval from them, bless!

dondon33 Fri 05-Oct-12 03:31:00

Hmm, didn't need 'also' and 'too' in the same sentence! smile smile
You're forgiven- it's just the sheer frustration of FB smile

Flowergirl PMSL, although it sounds like a very good FB "cause" or "petition"
I actually would like and click smile I would quite like a whogivesafuck button too.

AberdeenAnxious Thu 04-Oct-12 22:50:58

Hmm, didn't need 'also' and 'too' in the same sentence!

AberdeenAnxious Thu 04-Oct-12 22:49:47

I also dislike the gushing 'I love you' statuses too. I have a couple of friends who do it on birthdays and anniversaries and such like.

My dh occasionally send me an 'I love you' private message, but that's only when he's working away and no one else can see it.

Mind you, I'd rather people gushed about their husbands than Mr fucking Grey... hmm

flowerygirl Thu 04-Oct-12 22:14:15

I think if someone changes their relationship more than 5 times with the same person, it should automatically update to 'unstable'

LemonDrizzled Wed 03-Oct-12 19:43:40

Are these FB communicators the same people who put messages to their dead relatives in the local paper? (Which presumably is avidly read in the next life)

They clearly feel very strongly and passionately about their loved ones, but lack a way to communicate so use FB or the paper to express themselves. I read them and feel sad/pitying/nauseated depending on my mood.

I'm with Ian Hiscock and prefer the Stiff Upper Lip myself!

missymoomoomee Wed 03-Oct-12 19:04:07

Oh yes, before I left FB there must have been at least 5 people every day posting something along the lines of - 'like this post if you want to find a cure for cancer'. Liking a bloody post isn't going to do anything about finding a cure for cancer, and just because I didn't click 'like' it doesn't mean I don't want a cure for it.

Soon the christmas tree pictures will be up, so glad I deactivated.

greeneyed Wed 03-Oct-12 18:56:35

Yeah detest the 90 % of my friends won't repost this posts no you're right we won't! Also hate pictures of home improvements, I.e here's a picture of my new bathroom, fireplace etc, I get loads of these at the moment. Nothing could be more dull!

Tigresswoods Wed 03-Oct-12 18:28:12

Ha I am friends on FB with a bloke I used to be at school with. He was always posting on there how much he loved his wife. They separated a few months ago.

I have never yet looked at DH FB.

Why would I, he's here in front of me.

madonnawhore Wed 03-Oct-12 17:57:49

I unfriended someone the other day who kept posting pics of her children when they were ill. I found it very odd. Poor little Johnny* tucked up in bed with vomiting and a fever. Spotty Jenny* covered in calamine and feeling terrible with the chicken pox.

Weird. She did it so often it started to seem like a 'thing'.

*Not their real names obviously.

dondon33 Wed 03-Oct-12 17:53:52

Oh thought of another that boils my piss....Childish 20/30 some things that update relationship statuses after EVERY minor frigging argument.
I had a FB friend who done it almost on a weekly basis - she is 34 FFS not 14.

dondon33 Wed 03-Oct-12 17:48:47

smile smile I'm pissing myself at most of your posts. A lot are my own particular irritants on FB

Both me and DP have accounts on FB, not used very often but occasionally when DP has been on he'll post an "I luv u" but in his native language so no one understands it anyway smile but we don't do "gushing" "what's been eaten at dinner" or check ins.

I particularly detest the ones, usually about suffering an illness, that say I know my friends won't repost this even just for 1 minute...... If you know then why fecking tag it to my wall and expect people to then??

newmum001 Wed 03-Oct-12 08:18:03

No, a woman i used to work with and her boyfriend do it several times a day.

"who lus ya bubs"
"luv ya right back sugartits
"we are mint yeah, FACT!"

Vom!!!!

stifnstav Wed 03-Oct-12 08:00:28

"Like this photo if you love your kids". Er, no. Don't think that really counts as love/parenting/anything your kid will give a shiny shit about.

greeneyed Tue 02-Oct-12 08:28:15

Mskay - agree with all of the above!!!

MsKayGee Mon 01-Oct-12 23:15:08

My favourite status updates are...

"On my way to A&E with my poorly baby."
They can't be that ill and it's not exactly an emergency if you've got the time/inclination to update your status.

"I'm so upset/pissed off/angry/depressed"
Cue 20 people responding "Awww Hun what's up".
"I can't say on here/I'll pm you"
ATTENTION WHORE grin

"Sick of bitchy people. If you've got something to say, say it to my face".
Really? How about you practice what you preach.

greeneyed Mon 01-Oct-12 22:38:46

Yes the attention seeking vague comments about something disastrous then no follow up, why?

Heleninahandcart Mon 01-Oct-12 22:32:37

"Had the best curry tonight, eva"
"Fank ooo"
"Aww, fank ooo babes" <boak>
Now I know these two are in the same room, lounging on the same bed.

LilPud Mon 01-Oct-12 22:29:40

I have one friend who is guilty of all of the above - everyday it's love you husband', 'here's my lunch', 'my son is soo clever', I'm making tea, I'm at the gym ...... And then the vague stuff 'omg' 'bad stuff coming' and no response to all the 'hope you're ok' stuff. Does my head in.

I hope none of you are talking about me! I thought you'd be interested in the nice meal I cooked my hubby on our anniversary, and I do love him. grin

Don't do check ins though.

flowerygirl Mon 01-Oct-12 22:25:11

Another annoying one is those 'countdown to our wedding' apps. I had a few friends from school getting married over the summer and everyday I would get 5 postings saying 'it's 5 days, 3 hours, 4 mins and 20 secs until I marry my best friend'

AWFUL!

missymoomoomee Mon 01-Oct-12 22:21:57

She is mylittle they split for a while and she played the whole thing out over fb, even regarding the kids, she would tell everyone when he gave/didn't give money, did/didn't show up, if he was out, if she was out, even things like 'Ooooh cosy night in with wine, a takeaway and a male friend for company'. Then after slagging him off for 4 months solid announced they were back together and had a go at anyone who said anything against him. Thankfully she is one of those 'friend of a friend' type people, and one of the many reasons I deactivated my FB and became addicted to mumsnet instead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now