Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Twitter/facebook I love you's?

(59 Posts)
donotsquandertime Mon 01-Oct-12 20:35:33

Just curious really, if any of you have twitter or facebook do you message your partner in the day with I love you's/make statements on twitter sort of " I am so lucky have best husband" type of thing, norm or not ?

missymoomoomee Wed 03-Oct-12 19:04:07

Oh yes, before I left FB there must have been at least 5 people every day posting something along the lines of - 'like this post if you want to find a cure for cancer'. Liking a bloody post isn't going to do anything about finding a cure for cancer, and just because I didn't click 'like' it doesn't mean I don't want a cure for it.

Soon the christmas tree pictures will be up, so glad I deactivated.

LemonDrizzled Wed 03-Oct-12 19:43:40

Are these FB communicators the same people who put messages to their dead relatives in the local paper? (Which presumably is avidly read in the next life)

They clearly feel very strongly and passionately about their loved ones, but lack a way to communicate so use FB or the paper to express themselves. I read them and feel sad/pitying/nauseated depending on my mood.

I'm with Ian Hiscock and prefer the Stiff Upper Lip myself!

flowerygirl Thu 04-Oct-12 22:14:15

I think if someone changes their relationship more than 5 times with the same person, it should automatically update to 'unstable'

AberdeenAnxious Thu 04-Oct-12 22:49:47

I also dislike the gushing 'I love you' statuses too. I have a couple of friends who do it on birthdays and anniversaries and such like.

My dh occasionally send me an 'I love you' private message, but that's only when he's working away and no one else can see it.

Mind you, I'd rather people gushed about their husbands than Mr fucking Grey... hmm

AberdeenAnxious Thu 04-Oct-12 22:50:58

Hmm, didn't need 'also' and 'too' in the same sentence!

dondon33 Fri 05-Oct-12 03:31:00

Hmm, didn't need 'also' and 'too' in the same sentence! smile smile
You're forgiven- it's just the sheer frustration of FB smile

Flowergirl PMSL, although it sounds like a very good FB "cause" or "petition"
I actually would like and click smile I would quite like a whogivesafuck button too.

Berniebennett Fri 05-Oct-12 05:46:37

I agree with all the above it's so infuriating! Even when my partner was on your of afghan we rarely had public displays of emotions (unless it was an accident) we always sent messages private, as I messages him every day!

Luckily I have a fab group of friends who would jump straight on the post saying something like,pass me the sick bucket, so it wouldn't have the desired effect of wanting approval from them, bless!

ChristineDaae Fri 05-Oct-12 06:17:55

Mrskaygee* I think we must share a FB friend! I had this recently too, down to posting a pic of the hospital chair they were sleeping in. WTF?!!
My worst FB friend for this is actually someone I'm close with in real life. Every week she does and excercise class and EVERY week we get an update in the class and how her amazing/gorgeous boyfriend had a bath waitin when she got home. Err actually I know he's a complete dick to you, he could never be seen as gorgeous. And the bath thing - we know he does it EVERY FUCKING WEEK!!!!angry

snuffaluffagus Fri 05-Oct-12 16:41:50

I usually just post "blurk" under such status updates. Fortunately only a couple of my friends do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now