Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

support for emotional eaters!!

(149 Posts)
DippyDoohdah Mon 06-Aug-12 20:22:42

Having had some really solid support on MN, I thought itwould be worth seeing if there are many other women who find themselves eating in order to occupy their minds, temporarily console themselves and to keep feelings pushed down!? Its got to the point where I have gone from voluptuous to matronly..not feeling my za za zing anymore! Really need to address weight for my health.its the evenings where I sit and pick, think, and also the evenings when I go on MN..so I thought, combine the two, and anyone else who sees something like this in themselves? Maybe we can support each other.smile

SoleSource Sat 11-Aug-12 13:28:01

Low carbing equals lower moods?

javotte Sat 11-Aug-12 14:11:58

Hi solesource
It's the opposite (at least for me). Low carb = more energy, more focus, more patience. And then I spoil everything...
I intend to go back to a (moderate) low-carb diet a few weeks after DC3's birth.

Sylvana Sat 11-Aug-12 14:16:00

Great idea about the fromage frais Javotte I'm going shopping today so will check out the different brands. I find you have to plan with low carbing, you have get the food in so you don't resort to the easy, high carb options.

Houseofplain Sat 11-Aug-12 15:25:34

No. Low carb. Means more energy, better moods, more settled sleeping patterns.

Due to the fact you are not eating all the refined stuff. You aren't bloated with all the water that comes with it. You don't have the huge sugar highs and lows which come with a heavy carb diet. Oh and the sluggish feeling...when you are bloated and your body is just turning it all to fat as you already have full glycogen stores.

I don't cut carbs out completely but I don't eat lots of them. Or the big ones which are the ultimate sinners. Such as bread, rice.

KnittingAnOlympicGold Sat 11-Aug-12 17:12:39

Hi all, can I join? Have read the thread and so much of it resonates with me sad.

Currently having counselling but it's slow going and I've put on 2 stone since I started blush.

Hope we can support each other to break the addiction.

DippyDoohdah Sat 11-Aug-12 20:50:41

There are lots of good tips on here.am feeling so rough at moment and no clothes fit...am going too have to reign this in now and take some inspiration..low carb here I come.if any of you have time, would you mind posting some typical days menus for low carb diet? Have tried it before but just end up eating meat and salad, am not a huge carnivore do what to do on days where do more want to eat loads of meat but still shift this dragging me right down weight?

DippyDoohdah Sat 11-Aug-12 20:52:03

I meant what to do on days where do not want to eat loads of meat...bah Swype!

KnittingAnOlympicGold Sat 11-Aug-12 21:00:27

Dippy, I'm in the same boat - have one pair of jeans that I have to wash an wear blush.

Would also appreciate tips on low carb as I'm not much cop in the kitchen and eats loads of carbs!

DippyDoohdah Sat 11-Aug-12 21:05:58

Knitting..snap! Refuse to buy any more have got loads of decent, smaller pairs to get back into.I had a reality check today when a friend was getting rid of some clothes and I came back with three denim skirts, hoping they would be ok on. could barely get them mid way past my thighs! Think I have had an over optimistic view of myself and I need to get real, and quick! Yes carbs tips please grin

Houseofplain Sat 11-Aug-12 21:10:12

I have a fridge full of yogurts. Beware of the "healthy" ones full of crap. One of the best I've found nutritionally is activia.

Obviously, nuts and seeds if that's your thing. Lean meats. Salad, fruit and veg. Although watch potatoes. The best potatoes for you are new potatoes. A jacket spud is one of the highest things for turning from carbs>sugar in the blood instantly.

Cheeses. Stuffed mushrooms, stuffed peppers. Tuna, fish, and QUORN. You can do lots with quorn. Eggs. Frozen grapes, like mini Bon bons.

Soups, make your own soups.

I don't completely cut out carbs. As veggies can have carbs in them etc. But it's the good stuff. I may have a tiny bit of rice/pasta/pots but I tend to avoid them really as I get so bloated even with a small amount of refined carbs.

If you want a carb filler then cous, cous is the best option. High in carbs, so I would only have a tiny bit, like rice, etc. But much better. Mix in some sweet chilli sauce.

Sylvana Sun 12-Aug-12 09:04:31

Houseofplain I have 2 more questions for you, if thats ok .....

What do you stuff your mushrooms & peppers with - cheese ?

Does it have to be low fat cheese or can you eat normal cheddar ???

Thanks so much. I'm getting all my food in so I can start tomorrow smile

Bishoplyn Sun 12-Aug-12 11:36:11

Hi all! Hope its ok to join in. I nearly cried with relief when I saw this thread. Such a relief to know I'm not the only 1 who struggles with this. Most of my rl friends look at me like I'm weird when i tell them I eat when i'm stressed :-(

I've done some reading on this recently but aside from making me more aware of it, my eating hasn't really changed. I'm waiting for an appointmnet with a nutritional therapist and I hope that will help me really look at my diet. I'm trying to do more exercise but that makes me tired. Guess i need to persevere....

I like this thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/feeling_depressed/1488502-has-anyone-overcome-overeating

A heavy read but fantastic insight into why we subconscously chose to be fat www.amazon.co.uk/Fat-Feminist-Issue-Susie-Orbach/dp/0099481936/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344767345&sr=1-1 and why

My favourite. Gives good advice on what to do when a 'fat-ugly' attack hits www.amazon.co.uk/When-You-Refrigerator-Pull-Chair/dp/0786885084/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344767505&sr=8-1

I found this on tinternet. Anybody any experince of it? thebodytransformation.com/

Keep posting.

Houseofplain Sun 12-Aug-12 11:59:14

I use all sorts of cheeses. There isn't a huge difference between high/low fat. So if you are eating lots of lean meats/fruit and veg. The fat from cheese isn't a biggie.

I have everything from soft cheeses, haloumi, Brie, cheddar. You can put bacon in with them. Or if you want texture a little bit of cous cous it gives the same effect of breadcrumbs when covered in strong flavours. Some tiny diced veg, so it's crispy. Olive oil. Should be the oil of choice. I later alternate between those or have all of them.

DippyDoohdah Sun 12-Aug-12 22:12:07

Thanks for this.I too did a different kind of shop and had to wrestle mum to get the potatoes off my plate at Sunday lunch! Funnily enough I don't feel hungry and have not picked at all tonight. Oh God how I would love to turn that un turntable corner! x

zookeeper Sun 12-Aug-12 22:21:52

so relieved to see this thread. Marking my place

Sylvana Mon 13-Aug-12 09:01:21

Thanks again Houseofoplain.

I love your ideas. I have done Atkins and Durkan before but found them too strict. Your plan sounds much more sensible and therefore achieveable. I put on half a stone over the summer and I'm desperate to lose it as none of work trousers fit anymore!

javotte Mon 13-Aug-12 12:18:56

Hi everyone. I kept my eyes closed while the consultant was checking my weight this morning. She told me my weight gain is rather moderate so far (phew!).
I hope my stress levels go down in the next few weeks. I have no idea how normal people cope - I've always turned to food. sad

zookeeper Mon 13-Aug-12 16:41:20

I've just ordered the "when you eat at the refrigerator book" - will keep you all posted

javotte Mon 13-Aug-12 20:53:56

There seem to be lots of books about emotional eating. Are they really good? I can tell if I eat because I'm hungry or for other reasons. I know why I became an emotional eater. I know quite a lot about nutrition. Could one of these books teach me to "reprogram" myself?

DippyDoohdah Mon 13-Aug-12 21:36:37

Javotte, what about a bit of hypnotherapy or just a guided meditation CD? Seems like you have some insight so that's a good starting place, think a book would certainly help rewrite those thoughts, especially if you actively participate in thought challenging.you might even be able to get six sessions of cbt from IAPT (via gp/self referral)

DippyDoohdah Mon 13-Aug-12 22:33:12

Am day two of no carbs and amazingly do not feel hungry! grin

javotte Tue 14-Aug-12 07:38:03

Congratulations Dippy!
As for CBT, I live in France and it doesn't work that way. Health professionals don't know anything about eating disorders apart from anorexia. To them I am just stupid / greedy / lazy (they tell me in a very slow voice that I should eat less hmm )

DippyDoohdah Tue 14-Aug-12 12:50:05

Thanks! Just a thought, google"mood gym" it's an online workshop and whilst is not about over eating it might address the root issues?

zookeeper Tue 14-Aug-12 16:18:54

are lentils high carb?

Houseofplain Tue 14-Aug-12 16:48:05

Well done dippy... Carbs naturally give you food cravings. As they give you a sugar high...then low. So it really does affect your appetite of you cut the, right down.

Lentils are ok. About 12g a portion. So not bad. It's not all about cutting out every carb as I think that's really bad. It's just watching them carefully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now