Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What women want from a relationship: the definitive Mumsnet list?

(138 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 11-Jan-12 12:24:08

We're putting together some Relationships content based on issues that recur in this Talk topic. We thought a print-it-out-and-pin-it-on-the-fridge type list of what you want from a relationship would be useful and interesting - and possibly surprising for your other half!

So what do you need from your 'significant other' in order to feel content with your relationship? Please share...

Thank you.

Yama Netherlands Sat 14-Jan-12 11:08:36

Good post Pickgo. 'What women want ...' reminds me of that crap Mel Gibson film. 'What people want from a relationship' might not be such a step back in time.

MrsWembley Sat 14-Jan-12 11:50:30

What Malificence said!

<Blows raspberry>

HoudiniHissy Sat 14-Jan-12 16:46:07

Incidentally, on Dadsnet, is there a relationships topic that is full of gut-wrenchingly sad threads usually about either infidelity or domestic violence?

So many women here are accepting SUCH goddawful behaviour for the sake of a relationship, or for the kids or fear of being single etc.

IF just ONE person realises that they are supposed to hold out for more, they are supposed to be respected, treated with kindness and compassion, to be admired, to be loved... then this thread is worth doing.

So IF there are MNers that think this thread is a waste of time, then bully for them! Go them! Have a sodding banana!... hmm They clearly have FF all to worry about, and even less compassion for their fellow human beings go haunt chat or somewhere more fluffy

There are plenty MORE that DO see a point to a thread that raises awareness of a partner's entitlement to fairness, kindness and respect. EVERYONE should live happy in their relationships, or have the freedom to do something about it.

Youllbewaiting Sat 14-Jan-12 17:23:58

There isn't a topic on Dadsnet full of sad stories. Do you think men's lives are full of happiness and light?

I think women should be glad they've an outlet like MN, men do not have this.

But if MN was 50-50 male-female I'm sure they'd be just as many sad stories from men.

Alouisee Sat 14-Jan-12 19:10:58

As long as I'm treated like an absolute Goddess all is fine in my world.

MrsWembley Sat 14-Jan-12 19:20:57

Youllbe Your first paragraph in your last post is confusing me. Dadsnet has got a topic full of sad stories and their lives are not full of happiness and light or it hasn't and their lives are?

Sparks1 Sat 14-Jan-12 19:29:27

I don't wish to derail what seems to me is a great thread but i'm disgusted by the insinuation that males do not suffer DV or infidelity.

How ironic that such comments sit side by side with other threads where females complain there is a lack of decent males. wink

struwelpeter Sat 14-Jan-12 21:27:19

Haven't read the whole thread but and in this order:
Respect
Understanding and Compassion
Communication
Because respect is the basis of any good relationship between human beings; no one is perfect and can ever live up to another person's ideals whatever they are and the communication because when the respect stumbles, the understanding falters and the compassion gets eaten away then communication is the only way to get back to the other two or agree to part with as least harm as possible to each other and any children involved.

lovesadirtylie Sun 15-Jan-12 01:14:53

intellectual compatibility

drfayray Sun 15-Jan-12 10:34:05

Just out of a 25 year long marriage where DH left me and the kids for another woman...hmmmm

I would like

a handsome face
fit body
and abs I can trace my finger round.

Superficial?

You betcha.

PogueMahone Fri 24-Feb-12 14:19:38

WannabeMegMarch that was beautiful. I am destroyed.

hathorinareddress Fri 24-Feb-12 14:25:02

I want

Someone who appreciates me as I am and doesn't want to change me

Someone who pulls their weight and does their fair share

Someone who listens to me

Someone who makes me laugh

Someone who makes my knees weak every time he comes into the room and with whom I have mind blowing sex

Someone who values me

DP is all of those and he makes the brews and brings me chocolate.

What's not to love?

NewYearsDaysie Fri 24-Feb-12 14:44:41

Someone who helps me and supports me in achieving my goals. DH has expressed concern over my weight after I brought it up (health NOT looks before any of you step on the how dare he band wagon) and he has joined me on the eating pattern and exercise.
Trust, laughter and the ability to relax and ve yourself around eachother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now