How to help Refugees, Links to Organisations

(23 Posts)
emilybohemia Fri 04-Mar-16 23:30:46

I thought I would start a general thread for links to organisations that are helping refugees. If you would like to add an organisation, please do.

emilybohemia Sat 05-Mar-16 18:09:53

Help Refugees have suggested that people purchase a sleeping bag for a refugee as a mother's day gift.

www.leisurefayre.com/section.php/86100/1/help_refugees

UnmentionedElephantDildo Sat 05-Mar-16 18:23:06

www.actionafricahelp.org

Don't let all the other parts of the world dealing with displaced people be overlooked.

VertigoNun Sat 05-Mar-16 18:31:51

www.womenforwomen.org/what-we-do

emilybohemia Sun 06-Mar-16 11:58:31

Those supporting refugees in Greece are largely volountary organisations of ordinary individuals, not large organisations. Therefore, they need support. Kos kindness is one of the groups needing support.

www.facebook.com/Kos-Kindness-159755314181314/

emilybohemia Mon 07-Mar-16 10:55:55

The European Union is planning to criminalise charities, volunteers and holidaymakers who help refugees arriving on the Greek islands. The refugees include many children and babies who are fleeing from violent wars only to face the high risk of drowning during the dangerous crossi ng.
I've just signed this petition to demand that the EU do not punish people for providing compassion and aid to refugees who are struggling to survive.

www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/720/632/808/

VertigoNun Mon 07-Mar-16 10:56:53

Where is your evidence this is policy?

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Mon 07-Mar-16 14:14:56

Vertigo that was answered on the other thread.

Could we please keep this thread for those who would like to share links to organisations who help refugees?

If you want to start a discussion - great, this is a discussion site after all! But please let's do it somewhere else - chat or "in the news" maybe, and keep this one for sharing info on how to help refugees.

If we start discussing it all again it'll be derailed in no time!

Thanks smile

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Mon 07-Mar-16 14:16:17

Emily thanks for this thread, it could be a really useful resource.

I'm not at my computer right now but will post some links when I am.

emilybohemia Mon 07-Mar-16 14:35:46

Thanks Tangerine. I was trying to find out if Erik Kempson has a site people can support, will have a look later.

PausingFlatly Mon 07-Mar-16 14:48:34

Thanks for this thread.

Yes, please do add those links, tangerine.

emilybohemia Sun 20-Mar-16 21:51:10

Jim Kroft is trying to raise money for a boat for sea rescue of refugees. He has spent a lot of time at Eidomeni documenting wat as been happening there.

gogetfunding.com/boat-for-sara/

emilybohemia Mon 21-Mar-16 00:06:25

Link to group helping Calais,

m.facebook.com/groups/882751941799554

PausingFlatly Mon 21-Mar-16 07:03:47

UN High Commissioner for Refugees Syria appeal, for those who prefer large organisations.

lifeisunjust Mon 21-Mar-16 11:23:38

IF anyone wants to help migrants in Calais jungle, here is where would be best to help. The removal of the southern section has gone well, the containers are almost full, the tents full, Vie Active are the charity providing the biggest organised relief and you can go and volunteer there.

julesferry.vieactive.fr/

emilybohemia Wed 23-Mar-16 14:12:40

CalAid are looking for more volounteers to help with packing at their warehouses if anyone is interested.

www.facebook.com/JoinCalAid/?fref=ts

Tholeonagain Sun 03-Apr-16 20:06:20

www.refugeeaid.net

PausingFlatly Sun 03-Apr-16 20:18:56

Donations to Red Cross Europe Refugee Crisis Appeal can be GiftAided.

One can also donate to Red Cross Syria Crisis Appeal to help those inside Syria.

Or to the Red Cross General Fund or Disasters Fund so the RC can choose where best to apply the money.

PausingFlatly Sun 03-Apr-16 20:30:16

Can you say anything about Refugee Aid, Tholeonagain?

That website is singularly uninformative and I can't even work out which countries they are supposed to be working in. In fact, can't tell if that site is just a fraud.

Sorry, don't want to be a downer, just to keep a weather eye out.

simonettavespucci Sun 03-Apr-16 20:33:17

bootvluchteling.nl/en/volunteer-registration/

Tholeonagain Sun 03-Apr-16 21:35:12

Hi I know the people at RefuAid, they are a small NGO, and have very low running costs/admin so nearly all cash raised goes to help. They try to react very quickly to the ever changing situation but also be sustainable. At the moment they are focussing on emergency relief at the Greek border and providing medical equipment to a Greek hospital to enable them to treat more refugees: they were coming under a lot of pressure but helping them means they can continue to help their own communities as well as the refugees, and reduces tension. I have done a lot of - volunteer - fundraising for RefuAid and donate to them myself.

PausingFlatly Mon 04-Apr-16 11:37:54

Thanks, Thole, that's helpful.

user1476096674 Mon 10-Oct-16 12:03:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now