Does the DSS pay your mortgage if out of work?

(15 Posts)
carocaro Sat 10-Oct-09 16:38:06

To cut a long story short, me and DH are jobless, he is signing on and I am not as SAHM.

He has just started the signing on process and we have had one letter telling him he is getting £100 job seekers allowance and they may want to interview me regarding work.

What if anything, do they pay of your mortgage? We have got the mortgage down by half for three months. DH got no redundancy pay, so we literally are living off a few hundred pounds we had saved which is due ti disappear very soon.

Just panicing and worried.

carocaro Sat 10-Oct-09 16:39:16

Sorry, I am a SAHM, and looking for something
but DS2 is 2.5 and only at pre-school 2 mornings a week, so any job I take may entail a huge change on the childcare front

hercules1 Sat 10-Oct-09 16:43:09

Surely though if you get a job your dh would then become the sahp so no change needed on teh childcare front.

carocaro Sat 10-Oct-09 16:49:57

Ideally he wants to be the worker of the family and he could earn way more than me.

But I appreciate that I might have too if nothing works out for him. I could get a job, but then what happens when DH does get a job, do I just jack it in? Not very fair on employers.

I don't want to get into a BIG DEBATE on who should work and why, I just want to know if they pay the mortgage or not.

hercules1 Sat 10-Oct-09 16:52:14

Errm, I wasn't starting a BIG DEBATE. I was simply suggesting your dh could look after your child if you got a job......

bigchris Sat 10-Oct-09 16:54:52

no they dont

nickelbabe Sat 10-Oct-09 16:55:26

no the benefits agency will not pay your mortgage.
they pay rent if you rent, but not mortgages.
it's a bit unfair, but i suppose it's the risk you take.
does your mortgage not have payment protection insurance?

FABIsInTraining Sat 10-Oct-09 16:57:22

You don't get your mortgage paid. Seriously, why would you? Everyone would be doing it!

You could get a job in a shop or cleaning work with family friendly hours, your H could work, and if a job comes up for him you would give notice or carry on working and use childcare.

carocaro Sat 10-Oct-09 17:13:37

RE: big debate, I was just making it clear, that I don't want my personal situation picked over, just a simple answer to a simple question, to warn of some MN's who lurk on the boards and can't resist a nasty snipe or two.

RE: "Serioiusly, why would you?"

Because you've been made redundant with no pay and you are looking for another job and you have no income at all at present. And having worked for 23 years no stop and paid all taxes and NI. As opposed to being a lazy arse and doing fuck all year after year.

RE: payment protection

We swtiched our mortgage a year ago and found that hardly any lenders offered payment protection any more due to the ecomonic climate.

What's all the stuff about mortgage help in the papers then? Or am I hallucinating?

3littlefrogs Sat 10-Oct-09 17:16:59

No. Even if you are seriously ill and cannot work you will not get any help from the state until you have been ill for 6 months. You will not get any help with mortgage payments unless you have taken out specific insurance.

Some banks/building societies will let you take a mortgage holiday or reduce your payments, but you need to contact them straight away.

carocaro Sat 10-Oct-09 17:17:47

FYI - I have looked for full or part time jobs in

Sains
Tesco
John Lewis
M&S
Boots
Local Shops/companies to me

And NOTHING at present in my area.

I am on a wait list for interview for Boots Christmas staff.

3littlefrogs Sat 10-Oct-09 17:20:03

Could you take in a lodger to help with the bills? I understand this idea is gaining in popularity. I suppose it depends if you have any room.

sorry - I have just realised you have already reduced the payments. I am sorry you are in this awful situation.

Have you tried citizens' advice?

lou031205 Sat 10-Oct-09 17:23:35

That information is outdated. DWP now help with interest payments only after a qualifying period www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/identify_problem/mortgage_arrears.php. I hope it helps smile

lou031205 Sat 10-Oct-09 17:25:39

Actually, even that is out of date. The wait time is now 13 weeks www.whitehallpages.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=159394

carocaro Sat 10-Oct-09 17:55:08

Thanks - no room for a lodger, unless a tent in the garden is ok!

Thanks for the information all - will have a look at the site and see what's what.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now