I'm glad I've been made redundant - anyone else????

(27 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Thu 12-Mar-09 07:05:53

Yes thats right, in fact I am VR. I can't be the only one right?????? blush

Jibberoo Mon 04-Mar-13 16:14:05

its coming up to my 1yr aniversary - but i got fired not made redundent as worked for company for less than 1 yr so they didnt need to do redundency. at 1st i was shocked, scared, angry. My DH was also going to be made redundent later in the year so pressure for job was big.
fate stepped in and everything came together to allow us to set up own business. now i get to spend much more time with DS and no longer have to commute 2hrs each way for work!!
loving it

PipkinsPal Mon 04-Mar-13 16:04:45

I was made redundant 5 years ago after being employed with the same company full-time for nearly 22 years. I was so glad as my role had changed so much from when I originally started and another 15 years in a complaints department made me break out in a cold sweat. I now work part-time in a job I love and would never work in an office again. No regrets.

meditrina Mon 04-Mar-13 15:57:22

It was horrible when it happened: I felt so unwanted and incompetent.

But I got over that, and as it coincided with the primary years (which I found easily the most hostile to maintaining a working life), I stopped looking for a new paid job once I was in a better place and we'd done our sums.

I may return to the paid workforce when youngest hits secondary and the after-school demands reduce. Until then, I'm doing voluntary work, helping on a cultural programme and considering an OU course (for fun and interest, not hard nosed employability).

madeindevon2 Mon 04-Mar-13 15:44:19

It's interesting to see this. Those of you who saw it as chance to do different Job. How did you decide what to do next?!

bridgit this thread is from 2009... Jus' sayin'

BridgetJonesPants Mon 19-Nov-12 22:04:27

I was made redundant having worked for the same company for 26 years. It wasn't a total surprise when our dept was told and at first I wanted to stay but after looking at my package & talking over with DP, I decided I wanted to go.

Best thing ever for me, we were able pay off our mortgage with my redundancy package (plus some of our savings) grin and I also have a good pension waiting for me when I hit 60.

I had 6 months of claiming JSA (cont based) and then found a wee part-time job which enables me to walk DD to school in the morning, walk a further 10 mins to work and then collect her again from school. My salary is a fraction of what I was earning, but I have less work stress, the hours are great and it's local so no need to wait for buses.

Wow really nice to hear others going through the same as me. I returned from maternity leave the second time round to be told I'm going to be made redundant in six months whereas my male maternity cover has been made permanent in my absence. It was a huge shock as I thought I was safe but now I'm beginning to think it isn't such a bad thing. Money will be very tight but I didn't want to return to work and this has given me the chance to stay at home with my babies. Hopefully I'll find some freelance work in the evenings that I'll enjoy much more. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone!

PinkWinged Tue 29-Mar-11 15:55:54

Oh yes - I finish this Thursday! Really looking forward to the change. Got loads of plans.

Ambi Wed 02-Mar-11 14:08:04

DH was very glad the company he worked for went tits up so he could set up his own company without being sued. He's still not earning as much as he did, but I have faith that he will and he's sooo much happier.

COCKadoodledooo Wed 02-Mar-11 14:01:30

Dh's 2nd redundancy (of 3), he saw as being paid to leave a job he hated, so yeah, v happy like you. Good package considering he'd been in the job only 6 months.

The first and last times were shit though - first one we found out about the day we also found out I was pregnant with dc1. Last one, I was 12 weeks pg with dc2, and the package was worth about 50p because the company had no money.

He's changed careers now so we're really hoping it never happens again!

Lauri22 Wed 02-Mar-11 13:53:48

It was a relief for me. I was totally bored but after 10 years couldn't afford to "walk out". Its still a big shock or a big decision, but the ££ was an attractive carrot. Now on the other side and much happier.

QOD Sat 05-Feb-11 09:51:46

I got made redundant on maternity leave 12yrs ago - I had managed to negotiate full maternity pay although she was surrogate baby - the whole company were offered relocation or redundancy.
I had been there 13yrs and loved my job, loved the people, was amazing place to work. However, I ended up with £20k, we were able to buy a house, putting our flat in my name, house mortgage in his, and get moved. I also had 2yrs at home with dd, and got to claiim job seekers allowance for 6 mths. First and last time I've ever been able (we've) to claim anything.
Timing wise was obviously brilliant, but still miss it.

bexstar1 Sat 05-Feb-11 09:47:02

i've just been made redundant and its the best thin that could have happened! i hated the job anyway but it was still a big shock, now i'm over that shock i'm searching for uni and college places to get my teacher training qualifiction and we ttc!

pippop1 Fri 04-Feb-11 23:49:50

I was told about redundancy on Wed. It was a bit shocking at first but I've already applied for a couple of really interesting sounding jobs which I probably would have ignored before.

I've just found out that my (current) company doesn't give written references. They only confirm the dates that you worked for them if anyone asks them. Hence, I don't feel very keen to order all the supplies and be helpful (for example leaving written instructions of what I do) in my last few weeks of work. This is not like me and I may give in and order stuff and leave a few instructions before I leave to be kind to the new person who will have shorter hours and different duties that I do when they recruit them.

Luckily my money is not absolutely essential to our welbeing so it's not the end of the world. Thinking what I can cut down on though. Hmmmm.

hatsybatsy Thu 20-Jan-11 18:52:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StellaBrillante Fri 07-Jan-11 15:04:17

just like Pineapplechunks's DP, I drive into work every single day praying that my employer will make me redundant. We had a round of redundancies in my department last summer and I was certain that I was going to go. Much to my disappointment, lots of people went including my boss who now lives in the South of France with her dh and dc. I've seen another whole team disappear in the last 3 months but I am still there and I absolutely hate my job. I took it for the money, because it was a promotion. Biggest mistake I've ever made and has taught me a lesson about priorities.
I've now decided that I just can't wait any longer or I will go mad. So I've applied for a uni place and will be starting my degree from September. I've also told my employer that I will need to reduce my hours considerably (although I claimed work-life balance and didn't mention uni) from August and have started to look for weekend work which relates to my studies, even if it's basic entry level. God knows how I am going to keep us afloat though which is where redundancy would have come in very handy. To add insult to injury, our redundancy package is still very good - poop! Maybe I shouldn't have said anything about going part-time until I absolutely had to...!!!

I'm happy too now that the shock has worn off

I was supposed to be going back on 4th Jan (after Mat Leave), but didn't really want to but couldn't afford to just quit. Spoke to the company about my return to work, who sent me a notice of poss redundancies and the opportunity to state my case.

I declined and have just accepted the redundancy. The money will pay off some of my debts and the rest can be just about covered, but it means more time with my lovely son and poss the chance of ttc again sooner than we originally planned

Yippee grin

potplant Fri 18-Dec-09 11:35:25

Its my 3 year redundancy anniversary on Monday next week. I was gutted at the time, it was 3 days before Xmas, I'd been there forever and had really flexible working arrangements to suit childcare. I thought I'd never work again.

Honestly it was the best thing that could have happened for my career. I got an OK amount of cash which paid for a nice holiday and I'm now working freelance which I wanted to do for years. If they hadn't made me redundant I would probably still be sitting there now moaning about office chairs or some such crap.

It was just the kick up the arse I needed.

steamedxmaspudding Fri 18-Dec-09 11:30:46

I love being made redundant - has happened to me three times in the last five years! I get bored in jobs very easily and always welcome an opportunity to move on.

Pineapplechunks Fri 18-Dec-09 11:27:42

My DP says a little prayer on his way to work every day that this day will be the redundancy day.

I doubt very much that they will ever make him redundant though but he keeps hoping.

ministryofsleep Fri 18-Dec-09 11:24:02

I was made redundant earlier this year, at first I was upset, but it has turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me, it made me realise that I had been bored and unfulfilled in my job for a long time and I am now in a better paid job, working less hours and in a much nicer working environment. Wish it had happened years ago grin Like ilovesushi I suspect I was chosen for redundancy as I worked part time (boss was always promising me more responsibility if I could up my hours) and was less cost effective than full timers in the same role as me as I had the same company benefits (car, fuel and phone).

Being made redundant also made me realise who my real friends were as I managed to drop a few throughout the process grin

fuzzypeach Fri 18-Dec-09 11:01:54

I am about to be made redundant, and althoug I will hardly get any money from the company, I am trying to see it as a positive thing, I was unhappy in my job, and I see it as an opportunity to finally get some qualifications and try to have a proper "career" the only trouble is I still need a part time job whilst I am studying, and have no experience/qualifications in anything else, and there are no jobs going I could do anywhere sad

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 17-Apr-09 07:09:16

Hi Ilovesushi sory youve lost your job but glad you can see the silver lining!!

Just one thing, did they follow the right process for your redundancy? If not it might be worth looking to see what you could do to get some more money off them!

ilovesushi Thu 16-Apr-09 12:13:42

I was made redundant last week and only given one week's notice. I was hopping mad to start with as I was given no explanations and had been doing an excellent job. My suspicion is they got rid of me because I was part time and a mum. After my anger cooled down, I realised I was actually delighted. A little bit sad I can't afford the bugaboo I had my eye one but sooooo happy to have more time with my little one.

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 13-Mar-09 08:04:08

I got a better package than I cold ahve got and family stuff means it best for me - DH was made redundant just after i had DD last year and again best thing that ever happened to him cause he's much happier in his cuurent job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now