Question - can you still be made redundant if you are off sick?

(6 Posts)
Iamblossom Fri 08-Jul-16 10:27:05

My mil is due to be made redundant at the end of August which will coincide with her retiring. She has waited until that date as she then qualifies for a substantial pay out, otherwise would have retired before now, as she is 68.

She has had a bad fall and hurt her leg, in hospital at the moment and unlikely to return to work before the end of August. If you are signed off sick can you still be made redundant?

All help much appreciated.

Iamblossom Sun 10-Jul-16 17:27:55

Bump

DetestableHerytike Sun 10-Jul-16 17:31:17

Try reposting in employment issues which has more traffic.

I think that it's possible

clarka Sun 10-Jul-16 17:36:32

Yes it's possible. A fair redundancy process must be followed and appropriate adjustments must be made to that process to accommodate for your mil's illness/injury. I would recommend that your mil contacts ACAS for some specific advice and support.

larrygrylls Sun 10-Jul-16 17:39:39

It is the position that is redundant and not the person, so yes. However they have to follow due process and cannot just do it to avoid a payout.

DetestableHerytike Sun 10-Jul-16 18:07:48

I'm a bit confused by the "due to be made redundant" point and also her waiting for this. How did this come about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now