Redundancy - what should I ask for?

(3 Posts)
clareabouts Sat 08-Feb-14 10:01:23

I've been told that I'm entering consultation for redundancy. There are two more stages to go, and at the next meeting I have to put forward my proposal for how we proceed. I could argue that my role should be retained, but to be honest I'm pretty sick of the politicking and bad faith in my workplace and I'd sooner just go. So at the meeting I want to ask for the best possible terms, to give me the greatest chance of finding something else before the money runs out. I have a three-month notice period and have been here fourteen months (they headhunted me, ironically). Any advice on what I should ask them for? It's a private company, family-owned, no shareholders but highly profitable and pretty vast, if any of that makes a difference. Any thoughts very much appreciated!

tb Fri 23-May-14 11:36:06

Services of an outplacement agency such as Chusid if they still exist and/or careers consultant like Career Analysts? Should cost them a few grand.

rallytog1 Thu 29-May-14 20:19:56

After only 14 months I'm not sure they need to give you anything other than your notice period. Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but a legal right to redundancy pay only kicks in after two years' continuous service.

What were you hoping to get? It's probably a good idea to find out your legal entitlements and then put together a case for anything on top of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now