Redundancy and relocation - staying a full-time mum?

(1 Post)
toomuchtooold Sun 26-Jan-14 20:35:36

Hi, I hope this the most appropriate topic to place this in - if not do please advise!

Right, let's try and give the whole story so as not to drip feed. I'm 37 years old, married to a Swiss and we have 21 month old twins who we had by IVF after 5 years of recurrent miscarriage/testing etc. OH is being made redundant by his firm here and is looking for new jobs but the situation seems pretty dire in the UK for him at the moment and he would like to look for jobs in Switzerland as well.

My dilemma is that I changed career not long before the girls came along - in 2009 - and I'm currently on unpaid leave following my maternity leave, due to go back in April. I don't have any qualifications in my current job and I'd only been doing it for three years when I went on maternity leave.

I've lived in Switzerland before and while I find the place nice enough, I couldn't get a permanent job while I was there (I was in a temporary junior academic position). I got a few interviews but there was a lot of questioning about whether I planned to have kids and questions about my OH and stuff, things I wasn't used to being asked in the UK. I also found that employers were very rigid about taking overqualified candidates - I applied for technician level jobs and just got refused without an interview because I was overqualified, something that doesn't happen in my industry in the UK.

Taking the whole thing together - I changed career recently, I don't have any qualifications in my new area, I've been on maternity leave, my German is quite rusty, I have two small children - I don't rate my chances of getting a good job (and fair play to him, my OH is facing up to this even though he reckons his home country is God's One True Land!) I guess what I'm asking (finally) is - have any of you been in a similar situation, and what did you do? What's it like being a permanent full time sort of expat (I've got Swiss citizenship) mum?

Any advice on any of it - expat living, relocation, deciding not to go back to work - would be very welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now