Has anyone had to ask to be made redundant?

(5 Posts)
MillyStar Mon 16-Dec-13 14:59:11

I've worked for my company for over ten years as a secretary

They're merging with another company and have basically said i'm not needed but they're not mentioned redundancy to me!

They know i am looking for work and i think they're just sat praying that i find a job

I've been looking since summer and i can't find anything with suitable hours and it's really stressing me out, i'm debating asking them for money to cover a year at my dd's nursery which is less than £3k so a hell of a lot less than what i could ask for after 10 years. i know she's secure for the year then and i can find work in my own time rather than feeling uncomfortable about it

I just find it really awkward that they've never mentioned it, the owners are notoriously tight aswell!!

How would you approach it should i just come out with it?

I need to find my contract aswell tonight and see what it says in there

MillyStar Mon 16-Dec-13 19:15:32

Oh god I've just been on citizens advice website and using my part time hours my statutory redundancy pay would be £1,130, what a joke after more than ten years ;(

merryxmasyafilthyanimal Mon 16-Dec-13 19:20:35

I think it's one week pay for each year over two years?

I would ask my manager what is happening with my job.

mariefab Thu 19-Dec-13 09:22:33

As they know that you're looking for work, you're probably right to think that they are praying that you find a job because if you do they won't have to make a redundancy payment.

Just telling you that you're not needed makes it a horribly uncertain situation for you. Until they make a decision and give you notice of redundancy you remain in this uncomfortable state.

One possible hope is that when they finally decide; they may want you to leave without working your notice. In that case they'd have to pay you for the 10 weeks (or more-depending on what your contract says about notice) in addition to the redundancy payment and any accrued untaken holiday pay due at that point.

HaPPy8 Thu 19-Dec-13 09:47:48

If you havent got another job i'm not sure what the advantage of being made redundant would be? Can you talk to them about changing your role or finding a new role in the new organisation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now