how is the decision made as to which staff are made redundant

(3 Posts)
theftb Wed 20-Nov-13 15:06:13

My company making 200 redundancies over next year, says is across all levels, ie management to shop floor, how is the decision as to who goes made, do they take into account things like no sick leave, work ethic, wether they like you, or is it more objective than this.

AuntieStella Thu 21-Nov-13 08:40:02

There should be a consultation period, during which the criteria are laid out - and perhaps a call for volunteers.

Criteria are meant to be objective - by job function or location (eg if a whole activity or branch is being cut). Or if it is a more general reduction in head count, with various teams all losing a few staff, then it should look at things that are measurable, such as performance and attendance. Attitude/work ethic, as an inherently subjective issue, shouldn't be part of the procedure (nor indeed anything about personal circumstances outside the workplace) but human nature being what it is, the pleasant colleague is likely to be more highly rated than the grumpy one - whether in redundancy consultation or promotion/progression or whatever.

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 29-Nov-13 15:18:14

I just went through a general head count reduction redundancy. My own experience of it is that it's highly subjective to the manager involved. There seems to be a disproportionate number of female staff being laid off. I have consistently very good performance reviews. But I don't feel my manager appreciated my efforts. I was told there isn't going to be many promotion going, and I just heard after I've been laid off that a colleague got a promotion.

However since no one in my team member are obviously useless. No one takes anymore leave then the allowable annual leave. Then it becomes a case of your word vs their word.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now