Threatened with redundancy and pregnant

(7 Posts)
bunkygirl Fri 11-Oct-13 13:44:13

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and found out last week that my job is being made redundant but not til end of March. Baby due early May. My manager knows I'm pregnant but he is also being made redundant and won't tell anyone else. At my first consultation meeting this week we discussed redeployment and other options. They seem keen for me to stay and have suggested I apply for another role that will be a promotion so I will have to apply rather than be redeployed into it, but they are just advertising it internally and it's PT so good chance no-one else will want it but hours suit me. I was planning to tell them I'm pregnant after 12w scan but now I'm thinking I should wait until after the interview for this post just in case. I don't know the man who's managing the process very well and don't necessarily trust him but it feels a bit dishonest not to tell them and I'm already showing a bit so might become too obvious. Feel like ordinarily I wouldn't hide the pregnancy like this but feel that I have to given the redundancy. Any suggestions or comments?

Babylonmoo Fri 11-Oct-13 13:48:34

I think you should tell them ASAP. There is special protection for pregnant women and redundancy and so you are less likely to be made redundant.

bunkygirl Fri 11-Oct-13 14:32:21

Thanks for the reply. My understanding was that the added protection only comes into play one you're on ML and that won't apply for me. I know it's illegal for them to discriminate against me in theory but worried that in practice they might find a way..

Babylonmoo Sun 13-Oct-13 07:15:02

Sorry -I think you are right about the protection. You are also right about the discrimination. Only you can judge whether they are more or less likely to do the right thing knowing you are pregnant.

DontCallMeDaughter Sun 13-Oct-13 07:26:02

There isn't much in the way of special protection against redundancy, I know plenty of women made redundant at all stages of pregnancy and on mat leave. I think they can do it as long as it's part of a big reorganisation... So they can't just do it to you, but you can be swept up with a bunch of others. Ask Flowery on the Legal board, she'll know.

But I would definitely wait until you know your position... Wait until you have the promotion and it's all done. But there is a limit that you have to have told them by to qualify for mat leave, might be 15 weeks before baby is due, but I can't remember exactly....

bunkygirl Sun 13-Oct-13 19:05:40

Thanks for the replies. Really helpful. Think I'm going to sit tight for now and see how quickly they move on the other job. Thanks again

WorryWarm Wed 23-Oct-13 18:36:39

Definitely say nothing until you have been offered the other role, you have to look after yourself and no one else. Believe me, even if they knew you were pregnant that would not stop them making you redundant. I know, I am in the same position and have spoken to ACAS and Maternity Action.

If you have worked there for more then 2 years you have enhanced employment rights with regard to unfair dismissal etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now