At risk of redundancy – 5 weeks after return from maternity....

(2 Posts)
cheapskatemama Thu 01-Aug-13 15:58:58

Returned to work 5 weeks ago. Have been told my job is at risk of redundancy- through a generic reduction.

Since being back, I’ve been given significantly lower graded work than would be expected of my position. I’ve questioned this and have been told that they want to ease me in gently.

At the meeting yesterday, it was implied that these projects would be given to a more junior member of staff post restructure.

I’ve been excluded from team meetings and left off all team/ department emails. Again I’ve questioned and been told that it’s an admin error and its been resolved –it may well be poor admin but its left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I feel ill equipped to do well at interview and feel that I’ve been set up to be unsuccessful.

What can I do?

Should I just take the redundancy pay and run?

Should I question why the restructure has taken place so soon after I’ve returned? (I had been told that it would take place whilst I was off and that I would be protected).

I’m meeting with my boss and my union rep (separately) so any questions that you think I should ask would be gratefully received.

BrownSauceSandwich Sat 31-Aug-13 21:05:58

Any particular reason why you're meeting your boss without your union rep? I'd recommend you have a witness for all meetings with management.

What can you do? You can start by telling your union rep everything you've just told us. Without knowing anything about our workplace, size and nature of workforce, scale of the redundancy exercise, there's no way we can guess whether you're being victimised. On the other hand, it does sound like you've been sidelined since return to work... There can't be any good reason for that, surely.

Should you take the redundancy pay? Well that depends how materially advantageous it is to take voluntary redundancy rather than compulsory. What are they offering you in return for your compliance? I'd want extra redundancy pay, a free rein to search for another job, extra flexibility on leaving date, and a bloody good reference. They'd save a lot of money if you went voluntarily, they can at least share it with you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now