Dh can't get job seekers

(5 Posts)
Tommychoochoo Mon 22-Jul-13 19:46:38

Dh was made redundant recently. He didn't claimed job seekers allowance as was hoping to get another job. 4 weeks later not even an interview. I work 9:15-2:45 which works perfect for school, my salary is ok but not great. I told dh we are now struggling and he went to the job centre today, only to be told he can't get job seekers allowance because I work.

Dh has worked full time for 15 years, I worked full time until 7 years ago when I dropped to 27.5 a week. I can't believe that we are not entitled to anything. For the first time we need a bit of help and told we can't get it. Is this right, has anyone got any advise. Thank you.

Wiifitmama Mon 22-Jul-13 19:50:44

He is not entitled to income based job seekers allowance as your income will be too high with your work. But he should be entitled to contribution based job seekers allowance if he has paid NI. My husband had this recently when he was made redundant. It was the same amount as the income based one, but you did not get any of the other benefits like free prescriptions, free eye tests etc.

Silverfoxballs Mon 22-Jul-13 19:51:10

I thought you could get JSA linked to your insurance contributions but not if you had intentionally left your job. Did he make it clear he was made redundant? I think even if he could get it that it is only for six months because your working.

If he has paid enough Class 1 NI he would qualify for CONTRIBUTIONS BASED JSA. It is fixed, not means tested for savings, doesn't open doors to any other benefits, is very limited in time etc , and you have to comply with job seeking criteria. I am currently signing on under contributions based JSA. - I actually don't receive any money as my Class 1 NI record was not Ok for the last 2 years but I do it to access the "support" available (ie little to none!). However if you sign on this way it builds up your NI contributions record.

What about working tax credits for you? (Not sure about this as although I work it is less than the 16 hrs I need to claim this)

Tommychoochoo Tue 23-Jul-13 17:57:21

Thanks for all the replies.

Dh applied online and then went down to the job centre. When he applied online he ticked the box for income based JSA not the NI contribution one.

He's filled it out again and has another appointment on Fridaysmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now