Role made redundant on mat leave & alternative role offer

(4 Posts)
jumperooo Thu 25-Apr-13 10:23:45

I've had a quick look but can't find any previous posts with the same issue so would any HR law experts be able to help me?

My job role was made redundant in December, two months into my mat leave. I was given the option of statutory redundancy or offered an alternative role at the same salary. I accepted the alternative role and am due to return to work in September, depending on what hours can be negotiated as I won't be able to return full time. There is a 28 day trial period available when I return to work from mat leave in which I can decide whether the alternative role is suitable for me.

It is now looking likely that I am going to be a SAHM and not return to work for another year or so. I'm not bothered about returning to the industry I'm in. I am wondering if the option of redundancy is still available to me, although I have signed a letter accepting the other job? Or if I would need to go back for 28 days to get the redundancy payout, othwerwise if I'm not going back at all I will need to resign and forget about any redundancy pay?

I've not asked my HR rep yet as don't want to to arouse suspicion just yet if someone here can give me a heads up first?

jumperooo Thu 25-Apr-13 18:47:24

Bump, anyone around?

mylittlemonkey Sun 28-Apr-13 22:22:00

Have a look on the ACAS website but I think that if they offer you a suitable alternative role then if you decline it you are not entitled to redundancy pay. However, if you take the role and then then notify them before the end of the trial period that it is not suitable e.g. skills required/ knowledge/ hours etc not suitable then you would still be able to refuse the alternative role, on basis it was not suitable, and then be entitled to redundancy pay.

That is just my understanding so do check the ACAS website.

jumperooo Tue 30-Apr-13 10:06:18

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now