I've been made redundant after taking 54 weeks maternity- without any consultation period

(7 Posts)
Dejo Thu 21-Mar-13 19:18:43

I was asked into my office for a catch up before I return to work- which I was told wasn't a formal meeting. When I arrived I was sat down with director and an operations manager- who made me redundant from that meeting, they sent me my redundancy letter and have paid me one months notice( I had been with the company less than two years). I have written to them explaining I'm not happy about the redundancy and that I'd like to appeal. I've been invited to an appeal meeting- do I have to go its a very small company and there will be three directors and a hr outsourced independent advisor present. I will feel intimidated and awkward do I have to go? Or can i send my views to be read out? They have selected half term to hold the meeting and I'm not sure i can find sitters

Cornwall73 Thu 21-Mar-13 19:23:53

Sorry to hear this. Are you still officially on maternity leave? If so they do not seem to have kept to the law regarding redundancy. Call the ACAS help line to discuss your case and also have a read of the Maternity Matters website, they have helpful leaflets. Ask for your employers redundancy policy before your meeting too.

Good luck?

Dejo Thu 21-Mar-13 19:27:45

Hi thank you, I've contacted ACAS and a solicitor who have said I have a strong case for unfair dismissal, the first step was to say I wanted to appeal the redundancy. I've now been invited to a meeting- however I don't really want to attend as firstly I'm not sure if I can get a sitter, second,y it's a small office/ company and I will feel awkward. They've planned to have 3 directors present I don't understand why so many?! I just want to know if I have to attend or if I can email my grievances for them to discuss in my absence!?

takeaway2 Thu 21-Mar-13 19:31:53

I'm sorry to hear this. I believe you are allowed to bring someone to that meeting. Not as a baby sitter but as your support. Good luck.

CharminglyOdd Thu 21-Mar-13 19:37:44

If I were you I'd repost in the 'Employment Issues' section with the same title and look out for a poster named Flowery as she's very knowledgeable on these matters.

I am sorry this has happened to you.

TattyCatty Thu 21-Mar-13 19:42:44

Unfortunately, as you have been employed by the company for less than 2 years, you are not entitled to any redundancy payment. Whilst it is good practice to meet with you formally to discuss the situation, there is also no legal requirement to consult with you. Sorry I can't be the bearer of any better news!

Dejo Thu 21-Mar-13 19:48:15

Hi no I'm not entitled to redundancy pay, however I am entitled to a redundancy procedure which never took place( i was made redundant at an informal chat with notice or warning, I'm also entitled to be offered any other jobs in the company that became available even if I'm not qualified.( they had a maternity cover role that they have used a temp)
The company also wrote a letter for a mortgage company, I've not had any warning and no procedure and they have waited until I'm two weeks before I'm due to return to make me redundant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now