Being made redundant but am I still technically on mat leave?

(4 Posts)
pompoochie Mon 14-Jan-13 20:26:34

Hi, I got a call today saying that I'm being made redundant (consultations etc... about to start).

I was about to start back at work next week and am currently being paid full salary for my accrued holidays.

I went on mat leave 01 Dec 2011. I had given notice to the boss that I wanted to start back working on 01 Dec 2012 but he didn't speak to HR, so they have considered that I was away 01 Dec 11 - 01 Dec 12, and since then I have been on my year's worth of holidays.

So, does anyone know if I am technically still on mat leave? It is now over a year, plus I am being paid as though I'm just on my holidays. I just want to know if I'm covered by the maternity redundancy rules or not.

Thanks

flowery Mon 14-Jan-13 20:28:41

No, your maternity leave ended on 30 November, you are on annual leave.

pompoochie Mon 14-Jan-13 20:37:14

Thanks flowery.

muffymiffy Wed 23-Jan-13 22:26:14

I think you should seek legal advice as it looks like your employer waited until your mat leave technically finished to make you redundant. Making someone redundant while pregnant or on maternity leave is automatically unlawful. I suspect you'd have a case...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now