I'm being made redundant... but not sure what happens with CTC/WTC if temping...

(3 Posts)
Silveryfox Mon 05-Dec-11 18:06:10

I'm being made redundant, and will temp while looking for a full time job. I'll be getting a large redundancy payout as I've been with my company for a long time (over 10 years) and I'm not sure how this will affect my working tax credit/child tax credit. I receive no other benefits. Obviously with temping its not secure, and its not reliable, so there will be periods when I'm not working in between. I have a 2 year old son who goes to nursery full time and I don't want to pull him out as I have no support (split with my husband in Feb) and obviously child care places have waiting lists, so I won't just be able to re-place him with no notice. I'm aware I can get JSA but worried about the whole benefits thing really (never been on benefits before DS came along) and wanted any advice before calling Tax Credits people. Any advice?

Putthatbookdown Sat 19-May-12 21:05:10

Wtc is paid if you work 16 hours or more Not sure about CTC: check out the Citizens advice wbsite. There may be a waiting period before you can claim JSa etc if you have payment in lieu etc but I would still sign on even if you have to wait for your benefit Nb JSA etc only c£70 a week so not exactly great. You say your son has a father alive: why not claim child support now?
You will need all you can for your child

Yogagirl17 Thu 09-Aug-12 21:05:26

Don't worry about phoning the tax credits helpline - you can ask them how much you would get under different circumstances without actually making your claim until you're sure you want to. I've done it several times in the last couple of months and they've been nothing but helpful. It shouldn't affect your child tax credit. It will affect your working tax credits but even with temp work if you can estimate how many hours a week you'll be working you can get the benefit based on that. You can also get something for your childcare costs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now