Redundancy in November, first baby due in December!

(3 Posts)
LittleLH Fri 03-Jun-11 13:25:21

Hi,
I've just been told today that our office is closing and we're on 90 days notice. My manager said that the office closure would begin after the summer but probably run up til the end of November.
By October I will hve worked there for 2 years and I probably would have gone on maternity leave in mid November.
Does anyone know where I stand on maternity pay? If I have to leave after the summer then I'm unlikely to get work when anyone sees my bump (against the law but this is the real world!). Does this mean I won't get any maternity allowance? Or if they keep me on until November will I only get SMP not my 90% wages for 6 weeks?
Any advice would be appreciated, I've never been in this position before and money is tight to begin with!
Thanks,
L

nilequeen Mon 08-Aug-11 13:12:09

So sorry to hear that - you must be stressing, which is all you need right now. My friend's in the same situation and I've been trying to find out her rights too - so far I've discovered that so long as you are still employed by the 15th week before your baby is due you're entitled to 6 weeks at 90% of your wage, then approx. £120 per week for the next 33 weeks.

Does anyone know who pays what? Does the employer pay the first 6 weeks, then the government the rest? My friend would appreciate any advice.

EmmaF83 Mon 05-Sep-11 22:56:20

Hi guys - I'm sorry to hear about you situation LittleLH and your friends nilequeen.
I just wanted to try and advice in regrad to Maternity pay. I am not certain in regards to what exactly you'dbe entilitled to, but as I am currently on Maternity leave (since Jan) I thought i'd try and help with what I know.

I got a small amount paid by my employer for the first 8 weeks (not much - just 8 weeks x my average working hours) I then went straight onto SMP. What I would advise is check your contract as every employer is different and some offer some packages above SMP rate and others don't.
If you don't get any extra pay etc SMP is 90% of your wages for 6 weeks, followed by 33 weeks at around £125 (sorry can't think of exact amount at the min!) It is paid by the government - your employer just pays any extra that is in line with their benefit packages/and your contract - if that makes sense?
If you go to the Direct Gov website it has all the information on there.

I hope this has been some help and I hope everything goes as well as possible for you and you don't have to leave your job too early :-) x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now