difference between voluntary or compulsory - what should i do?

(5 Posts)
sowhatshallido Mon 28-Mar-11 15:20:36

been told that the current possible offer by employer relates to my job role being lost. Apparently about 40 out of the total 180 in this job expressed an interest in voluntary redundancy (at an earlier stage before we knew which jobs were at risk).

If they do go down this route, then what is the difference between going for voluntary versus compulsory? I mean if the job role is going any way??

Do you lose any benefits or rights? Is the payout likely to be the same (probably statutory minimum).

mousesma Mon 28-Mar-11 15:28:43

If you take voluntary redundancy then you would be assessed to have made yourself jobless. I believe this would then disqualify you from claiming any benefits and any insurance you have taken out against your employment i.e. mortgage payment protection.

If it is a compulsory redundancy then you are assessed as becoming jobless through no fault of your own.

sowhatshallido Mon 28-Mar-11 15:35:00

okay, that is definitely an issue.

I am not sure if those taking voluntary might get more - but not sure!

TheFarSide Tue 05-Apr-11 00:13:16

I don't think the Job Centre differentiates between voluntary and compulsory redundancy for benefit purposes - you are just redundant.

Not sure about insurance issue.

Sometimes (but not always) people opting for voluntary redundancy get more money than those being made compulsorily redundant. Depends on the contract with your employer.

KatieMiddleton Tue 05-Apr-11 00:19:30

What mousema said.

There is usually little difference between voluntary and compulsary redundancy payments IME but not everyone applying for voluntary redundancy be offered it. Ideally with a redundancy situation you want to shed the dead wood and those performing below par and keep the best people.

Sometimes it can appear those taking voluntary get more, but that is likely to be because the pay-off is bigger the longer you've been there so you're more likely to apply in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now