It's a travesty!!!! Charles Paris related

(14 Posts)
Toooldtobearsed Mon 02-Nov-15 09:15:57

I love Bill Nighy as Charles Paris, so imagine my horror when tuning into @Cast in order if disappearance' only to find Francis Matthews playing Charles....... I am unreasonably distraught.

Spoilt my whole morning that has angry

Breadandginger Mon 02-Nov-15 10:55:01

I think they are rerunning the original versions. Not sure when they were made but they are much closer to the books which date from the 1970s and early 80s.

Toooldtobearsed Mon 02-Nov-15 11:26:23

I know - I actually read the books then grin

But Bill Nighy IS Charles Paris.......sob

RomanMum Mon 02-Nov-15 21:40:17

Bill Nighy is Charles Paris I agree, but the radio series, fab though they are, are far enough away from the original books that this wouldn't bother me. When is CIOOD on?

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 02-Nov-15 22:15:38

Oh thank you thank you thank you!
<rushes off to set up recording of EVERY episode>

And then I will compare to my CD of Billy Nighy's version.
<preens>

But I cannot imagine anyone but Nighy as Charles.

Toooldtobearsed Tue 03-Nov-15 05:22:24

Roman, I don't listen live, but the latest episode is there at 7am(ish) every morning.

Atenco Tue 03-Nov-15 05:35:04

I agree OP. I try to be broadminded but Bill Nighy is just so right, this one sounds pompous and unloveable.

Toooldtobearsed Tue 03-Nov-15 06:51:21

Proper Charles Paris is also on, once a week (An Amateur Corpse), so still getting my fix grin

Gozogozo Tue 03-Nov-15 12:33:55

Where you left it, how do you record radio programmes? I used to use radio downloader till the bbc squashed it, & the radioplayer app downloads can only be listened to for 30 days.

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 03-Nov-15 12:41:33

Gozogozo I record radio shows on my TV. I have a Freeview PVR, it sees no difference between a TV channel e.g. 001 for BBC1, and a radio channel e.g. 704 for Radio 4.

I was gutted when the removed the radio stations from BBC iPlayer, so now I have to set up recordings in advance. (And missing shows I didn't know were on. sad)

Eastpoint Wed 04-Nov-15 10:20:35

I use the BBC iplayer radio app on my phone, it's very useful.

ElviraCondomine Sat 12-Mar-16 08:12:23

Anybody listening to the new series? Thank goodness it's Bill Nighy back again.

crossparsley Sat 12-Mar-16 19:55:24

I hate it. Sorry. I especially hate the Bill Nighy ones. Would take a blog to explain why, but it's like the worst extreme of R4 posh-educated, well-spoken but deeply dim and sheltered, bemused by the world reassuring shit. Or maybe that's 'No Commitments'.

Eastpoint Wed 16-Mar-16 07:02:57

I think one if the reasons 'No Commitments' seems so out of sync with modern life is that it is old, the current series was made in 2002.

Some of the comedies on 4 extra are almost of historical interest, their attitudes towards women are fascinating. They explain to me how far life has moved since my childhood, there's a Richard Briers comedy in which he is a young barrister which couldn't be made nowadays. After Henry is another programme which reflects a very sheltered way of life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now