If I like Cabin Pressure, what other radio comedy should I check out?

(93 Posts)

Sort of a radio spin-off question -- have greatly enjoyed having the Cabin Pressure CDs in the car because they are great for long journeys and everyone who tends to be awake in the car (me, DH and 9yo DS) finds them very funny (and even younger DCs appreciate some of the broader jokes).

But there are only four series (pending this Christmas's final special) and I wondered what other series I've missed and we'd enjoy. Somewhere around here I have a CD set of the first series of Old Harry's game but I wasn't sure how child-friendly that would be. Any other suggestions?

AllMimsyWereTheBorogroves Thu 01-May-14 22:13:16

Did anyone else hear CP tonight? Xinzhou. Fizz buzz 'ave a banana. Here I am don't tread on me. Baby chicken, baby lamb. Martin's shirt smelled of bacon because Douglas used his travel iron to cook some bacon in his hotel room. I was in seventh heaven.

FrankelandFilly Thu 01-May-14 22:29:39

I work in horse racibg, when not on maternity leave! Last year a horse called Here I Am was running and everytime the commentator said his name I found myself saying "dont tread on me" grin

IndridCold Fri 02-May-14 13:25:43

A man who can imitate a Spanish squirrel helping 28 men mow a meadow is capable of anything!

So true...

BigW Fri 02-May-14 22:20:44

Hilarious! I just popped on here to see if anyone else had listened to it. It was absolutely brilliant.

I love Cabin Pressure, currently working my way through series 3.

Le Bear Polar, anyone? smile

Also, is it wrong I really want to play the Travelling Lemon game on an actual flight...?

DS was nearly literally wetting himself over the Bear Polar sequence.

How to Play Yellow Car

I absolutely did not say "yellow car" to myself, when I saw one on the bus home, today. Oh no, I certainly didn't.

Cooroo Tue 06-May-14 07:09:20

I second Martin Jarvis reading Just William. Has anyone else heard North by Northamptonshire? I caught one episode and thought it was amazing. Keep meaning to hunt it down.

FourForksAche Tue 06-May-14 07:16:26

just wanted to wave at all the other CP fans!

Cooroo Tue 06-May-14 07:21:40

No one has mentioned The Horn Section. It's that because it's dire and completely unfunny?

KnappShappeyShipwright Mon 12-May-14 17:06:22

Another house full of Cabin Pressure obsessives fans here. I love Hut 33, The Castle and Deep Trouble, the rest of the family tolerate them and sometimes request them in the car when we've overdosed on CP. Also enjoy ISIHAC (most of the innuendo goes over the pre-teens' heads, teenager laughs and is then embarrassed) and Unbelievable Truth. We've just discovered Double Science on R4 extra which is entertaining.

DD1's form tutor is a CP fan, glad we're not the only ones in town!

mswibble Mon 12-May-14 17:19:10

I love Cabin Pressure!
I have R4 or extra on constantly and other shows I really like are Count Arthur Strong, Clare in the Community and Tom Wrigglesworths Open Letters. We saw his live show last month and it was ace.

mswibble Mon 12-May-14 17:20:30

Ooh and I really wish they would play the Linda Smith series again. Cant remember what it was called but it was v funny.

KnappShappeyShipwright Mon 12-May-14 17:23:47

A Brief History of Timewasting. An absolute gem, it must be due a repeat soon, R4 extra played it a lot a couple of years ago.

elspethmcgillicuddy Mon 12-May-14 17:28:54

My 2year old truly lives by the motto 'you are always playing yellow car'.

Cherrypi Tue 20-May-14 09:00:36

About Zurich. Surely Herc has got to take Martin's job and Martin goes off with the princess.

ComposHat Tue 27-May-14 17:34:13

Has anyone mentioned Fags, Mags & Bags yet? It may be a Scottish thing, but I love it beyond all reason. It is set in a cornershop in Lenzie.

This promo video gives you a bit of flavour:

Fags Mags and Bags

ComposHat Tue 03-Jun-14 06:19:23

Oh and he may be too old (or conversely too young) for Ivor Cutler's brand of surrealism, gentle subversion and silliness.

Anyway 'Jelly Mountain' is being repeated on 4 Extra at present and King Cutler is on fairly regularly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now