If I like Cabin Pressure, what other radio comedy should I check out?

(93 Posts)

Sort of a radio spin-off question -- have greatly enjoyed having the Cabin Pressure CDs in the car because they are great for long journeys and everyone who tends to be awake in the car (me, DH and 9yo DS) finds them very funny (and even younger DCs appreciate some of the broader jokes).

But there are only four series (pending this Christmas's final special) and I wondered what other series I've missed and we'd enjoy. Somewhere around here I have a CD set of the first series of Old Harry's game but I wasn't sure how child-friendly that would be. Any other suggestions?

tobiasfunke Fri 25-Apr-14 11:07:04

I'm addicted to BBC4 extra on the iplayer. I was listening to an episode of 'The Young Postmen' with Ben Miller in it last night. It tickled me muchly.

Fags, mags and bags is great. Ooft etc.

HanSolo Fri 25-Apr-14 11:29:27

I like Milton Jones... I'm such a sucker for puns blush
The Castle is funny too.

My favourite OSTTTOA is Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious to the tune of Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles grin (this was a very long time ago btw!)

It's actually v easy, and I always sing those words now blush

fidelineish Fri 25-Apr-14 11:31:05

Me too Pauline. It took me a while though.

i liked the first series of the castle but not later series

My favourite OSTTTOA is 'Don't blame it on the boogie' to the tune of 'The Battle Hymn of the Republic' - but I also love Madonna's 'Hanky Panky' to the tune of Lili Marlene - sung in a deep, husky voice by Sandi Toksvig.

gnushoes Fri 25-Apr-14 11:56:26

Love Cabin Pressure. Word jokes, scary Carolyn and silliness -- what's not to like?

picnicbasketcase Fri 25-Apr-14 11:59:47

I listened to all the CP episodes in a row recently. My favourite is St.Petersburg - it's Gordon's gin because his name's on it grin

AllMimsyWereTheBorogroves Fri 25-Apr-14 12:03:30

My favourite OSTTTOA was sung by Willie Rushton aeons ago - The Laughing Policeman to the tune of As Time Goes By.

Also Arthur's total conviction that Douglas will come up with a clever idea to sort out their £250K problem and consequent refusal to be impressed when he does.

I do wonder where they are going to go with the final special. Season 4 left so many unanswered questions and I'm not sure whether they can be satisfyingly tied up (for example: I'm a soppy soul at heart and would like Martin to have a happy ending with a good job and the princess, but it's not really in character so I'm not sure they can make it happen but still ring true). Maybe Gordon will die and leave Arthur his fortune? That's not really in character for Gordon, though.

PaulinesPen Fri 25-Apr-14 12:08:40

I remember People Like Us was always good with Roy Mallard ('You're married..??'grin). Also the radio version of the League of Gentlemen. I'd love to listen to that again.

I do think that 'Cabin Pressure' is the finest thing Benedict Cumberbatch has ever done.

BarbaraPalmer Fri 25-Apr-14 12:20:00

7yo dd1 really enjoys The Unbelievable Truth - it's quite silly, and the humour less rude most . Also Milton Jones. She's started asking difficult questions about ISIHAC, especially The Uxbridge English Dictionary. We love I Tort I Taw a Puddy Tat to the tune of There's Always been an England though, and A Lighter Shade of Pale to the tune of The Muppets.

I love In and Out of the Kitchen, but not sure that it's one for the DC.

I also suspect that the early scene in Season 3 of Sherlock where BC masquerades as a French waiter was written specifically because of his performance in "Qikiqtarjuaq". But in RL I appear to be alone in this belief.

i loved uskerty. it was on recently and i listened to it 3 times on the iplayer

mistlethrush Fri 25-Apr-14 12:43:24

DS (just 9) has been enjoying cabin pressure for some time. He's just got into The Castle. He likes the Terry Pratchett series we have (Guards Guards, Mort, the Witches) but finds the children's one (with the rats and the cats) too frightening grin

If it was just adults I might suggest Legal Decent Honest and Truthful or Absolute Power.

DS is just starting to get some of the innuendos in The Castle, so you need to watch out for the exclamations at times!

gnushoes Fri 25-Apr-14 12:47:18

Ottery St Mary... the saint who was eaten by otters...

HercShipwright Fri 25-Apr-14 12:48:31

Bleak Expectations. It's genius.

(Yellow car).

mistlethrush Fri 25-Apr-14 12:51:22

Have a banana!

Bea Fri 25-Apr-14 16:20:17

... and if you want to go retro... classic "On The Hour" ...very very witty!

syllabubble Fri 25-Apr-14 19:02:48

Yes Gnu - Ottery is my absolute favourite - also have a soft spot for Boston?

Knackerelli Sun 27-Apr-14 08:32:32

I adore cabin pressure. Loved the conversation about how many otters you could fit into Gertie! Would The Inbelievable Truth be too old for them? Also I like Elvenquest but seems to have disappeared off 4 extra for a while.

ImAThrillseekerBunny Sun 27-Apr-14 08:45:53

I think People Like Us is perhaps a bit too grown up in its humour. The Milton Jones serieses are very funny and silly. Nebulous is fantastic - we used to say "Unlike you, Professor, I no longer have the luxury of feet" all the time. Elevenquest is OK I guess, but Alistair McGowan's character makes it worthwhile IMO.

Two old ones that haven't been mentioned are The Million Pound Radio Show and And Now In Colour.

I've just splashed out a tenner on a gadget which claims to be able to make my iphone talk to the elderly car radio. DH said in a resigned tone of voice "I suppose that means that car journeys will be wall to wall Cabin Pressure now".

HercShipwright Sun 27-Apr-14 10:06:35

While I'm delighted that so many people seem to like CP (although I don't see that in real life sad myself and my kids always seem to be the only ones yelling yellow car or muttering 'here I am don't tread on me' or pointing out that this is a time etc) I am saddened that I'm the only one who mentioned bleak here and it got no reaction. sad Bleak is definitely the way to go for anyone who likes CP. Honestly. It's just as quotable. In fact, together with CP it's the natural heir to Python in the sense that, just as all those strange boys at university used to conduct whol conversations in Python quotes, my kids can spend the whole day speaking in little but bleak and CP quotes. And using 'words with just one sound' grin

AllMimsyWereTheBorogroves Sun 27-Apr-14 14:30:05

Herc, your name cheers me up every time I see it! However, can I commit heresy and say I don't like Bleak Expectations that much? It's all right in very small doses, I suppose.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 27-Apr-14 14:36:41

On holiday last year we listened to the whole of Bleak Expectations. Kept the kids amused for hours. Harrumble!

I love Clare in the Community, but it's a bit old for my 10yo I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now