Can I PLEASE just have 13 minutes? 13 measly minutes to myself to listen to The Archers?

(980 Posts)
PseudoBadger Tue 11-Mar-14 20:16:12

Come and enjoy awkward dinner parties galore!

NearTheWindymill Tue 11-Mar-14 21:27:45

Well Ian picked up on plenty of other stuff about rotten Rob but he didn't pick up on him telling her to leave Henry. I was waiting with bated breath for that. Haven't caught up with the Archers for a long long time. Used to listen on Sunday mornings and then had children!

PseudoBadger Tue 11-Mar-14 21:32:51

My mind often returns to Jess confronting Helen. She said "you've got no idea what you're getting yourself into" or similar. Was that a warning? However I don't think that Rob was as abusive to Jess as he could be to Helen, something about the way she threw the party regardless of his views, and she often took the piss out of him - she was apprehensive of him but not scared. So Rob is escalating.

Panzee Tue 11-Mar-14 21:37:22

Wow, new thread already!

Minimammoth Tue 11-Mar-14 21:39:33

Last thread seemed to have kicked me off, it stopped appearing on 'I'm on' I have missed at least a week of TA. So thanks for keeping me clued up. Personally I can't bear a long drawn out agony theme, I find it really winds me up, so I do hope H sees the light soon, myself.

TallGiraffe Tue 11-Mar-14 21:41:43

That was one of the most disturbing episodes I've ever heard. So well written!

ButterscotchClouds Tue 11-Mar-14 21:49:34

The line that really raised my blood pressure was when Rob was commenting on Hellin having had enough to drink and he said something like "little Miss Giggly" - what a total arse.

woollyjo Tue 11-Mar-14 21:50:31

The kids got thrown into bed and the briefest of stories tonight so I could listen. I really need a reality check, use the iPlayer and be a better mum!

Icimoi Tue 11-Mar-14 22:06:33

So glad Ian and Adam have seen Titchy for what he is. Now they need to get together with Krusty and plot something subtle to make Titchy show himself up for what he is. Or maybe they can go and talk to Jess and discover that she has no intention whatsoever of giving him a divorce.

JollyGolightly Tue 11-Mar-14 22:13:34

woolly my children think it's a massive treat to listen to the archers at bedtime! Bedtime story happens after.

CuttedUpPear Tue 11-Mar-14 22:21:27

I do like the imagery of everyone ignoring/dismissing their DCs so they can sit down and listen to Titchy Nob telling Hellin to ignore/dismiss Henry... and then coming on here to judge him! grin

Rob DID get hold of those steaks quickly didn't he?
We haven't heard from Jess in a while have we?
Mmm yum yum......

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Tue 11-Mar-14 22:24:45

I'm quite worried for Helen and Henry now sad Don't like her and feel very iffy about Henry (for arriving so quickly when my own dc was taking a loooong time to get cooking...). However, I get absolute shivers about RobNob and wouldn't wish him on anyone.

How cheeky was Jennydahling mentioning Jess to him?!! Good on her!

stilllearnin Tue 11-Mar-14 22:33:21

Well! On A Tuesday I fly out the door to yoga in a most un-om way so that I can listen to the Archers in the car (and sit and wait til the class starts!). I mistimed it tonight and caught the end! Woe! But how completely satisfying that Ian and Adam sussed Rob. Can't see Ian keeping that to himself for long.

What's your take on Helen's confidence in her parenting? I think that although she is a bit wishy washy at most things - she hasn't been with Henry so far. You git, Rob - is there anything she does right?

PseudoBadger Tue 11-Mar-14 22:38:44

Helen is feeling insecure in her parenting as she is without her parents' guidance for the first time. With Pat and Tony she would have said "I'll go to him" (or ideally they'd go for her!!) and they would have agreed.
She wants Rob to agree with her and when he doesn't 1) she doesn't want to piss him off 2) she doesn't want Henry to ruin their evening 3) it must mean that he knows more about parenting than she does so he must be right.

Selks Tue 11-Mar-14 22:39:08

marking place smile

poor Henry tonight sad

ErrolTheDragon Tue 11-Mar-14 22:41:20

>How cheeky was Jennydahling mentioning Jess to him?!! Good on her!

I missed that.

I predict the next thing will be that Henry, who up till now has enjoyed Wob the daddy figure will rightfully resent the cuckoo in the nest and start behaving like a real 3 yo .... poor lad.sad

OddFodd Tue 11-Mar-14 22:44:16

Urgh - DS was doing some very noisy water play in the room and mouthing questions/comments at me with A VERY BIG MOUTH rather than just leaving me in peace. But I got the gist and I'm too freaked out by it to listen again before bed.

Poor Henry sad I want Ian to get together with Kirsty and stage an intervention

stilllearnin Tue 11-Mar-14 22:46:33

Just listened to the rest of it - wow the menu thing was really awful and very well done. Pseudo as usual, you have it!! Although I'm not sure Ian and Adam have quite called it by its name yet - just a bit ' caveman' hmmm. I think it'll be Kirsty that really susses Rob, based on info from the others. Although I am consistently wrong it seems!

PseudoBadger Tue 11-Mar-14 22:54:42

Personally I think that there is a danger that Kirsty will write Rob off as unlikeable and stop listening when Helen talks about him. She'll miss subtle things that Helen says.
Ian - he'll confront Helen and this will drive her away. Result - she is alone.

twojumpingbeans Wed 12-Mar-14 06:31:56

Am a lurker and very occasional poster on these threads.. I get up at FIVE AM every day (apart from Sundays of course..) so I can listen on I player in the bath. 13 measly minutes to myself a day..

Little Miss Giggly?!? What a dick.

northender Wed 12-Mar-14 06:36:36

Agreed, was a horrible episode, brilliant but v creepy. Glad Ian has seen the dark side, probably realistic how easily Adam dismissed it.
My dd insists on listening too which is good in one way but then last night I was constantly interrupted with questions about EA. As I tutted or sighed she'd ask "why was that bad mum?". She's 9!

AboveTheOxbow Wed 12-Mar-14 07:20:56

Couldn't wait for the omnibus and just listened on iplayer. I am now pretty perturbed (not helped by also watching Shetland last night!)

What a horrible man, really wished Ian had smacked him one. Not sure I have the mettel to keep listening- it's turning into a sort of bucolic Sleeping with the Enemy.

All credit to the writers through, brilliantly written and gripping stuff!

GrendelsMum Wed 12-Mar-14 08:08:21

Ooh, that was a cracker - I was thinking of you all. I wondered whether there was going to be some homophobia over the steaks and stir-fry as well ('real men don't eat stir-fry') but Rob seems to have avoided that bit.

Normally Pat would have gone up to Henry, I think.

he's started on her hair, wonder whether rob will drop in a jokey little 'looking a bit chubby' comment at some point (following up with a 'more of you to love' or similar just to confuse her)

guineapiglet Wed 12-Mar-14 08:39:27

I hated the bit about the top knot......ok for a Yorkshire terrier but not the future Mrs Rob Tichener....... I think I would have thrown the semi prepared stir fry over him......well done to Ian for sticking up for said stir fry......

Yes I noticed the comment about Jess' fish kettle....brilliantly passed over by Rob....where is Jess????

...and the comment about the kitchen in The Lodge.....boy does Hellin pick ' em...... the saga with Greg just went on and on and on.....maybe it is Hellin who will end up with PC Gorgeous when he comes to rescue her from Rob (and Jess') evil clutches......and all this for Rob to get on the property ladder via a dead Peggy of course..
...<muses and rubs beard thoughtfully>

OldBeanbagz Wed 12-Mar-14 08:49:16

DH (who's away) phoned after last night to admit that i was right about Rob being a 'bad one'.

It was cringing to listen to and i'm so glad that Ian & Adam saw right through him.

My guess for the celeb is Bradley Wiggins as Ian mentioned he liked cycling (and local football) and then changed his mind about entering Dan's event once he's had a text off Fallon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now