Big Farma in Little Ambridge - come and talk The Archers talk

(995 Posts)
PseudoBadger Wed 02-Oct-13 23:01:17

New thread for the beginning of the pheasant season.

TheSilveryPussycat Thu 21-Nov-13 01:11:31

It involves Brian's manhood and him going confused blush. OTOH Jenny seems happy enough.

Gigondas Thu 21-Nov-13 08:41:30

I wondered that silverypussycat - is that also why local sex siren Annabel reappeared in show?

Was listening with dm and we were going over the life and loves of Brian ( she remembers loads more). How many of them did Jenny dahling know about? Did she know about ruaridhs mum before she died?

ppeatfruit Thu 21-Nov-13 10:01:57

Yes Silvery That could well happen\has happened to him but it would be difficult for the SWs to enunciate in delicate enough language for pre watershed (Though some of the effing afternoon plays are raunchy enough) shock.

ppeatfruit Thu 21-Nov-13 10:03:25

Am i right in thinking you're talking about impotence silvery? i could be very wrong of course grin

ErrolTheDragon Thu 21-Nov-13 10:23:52

BBC Editorial guidelines: 'Radio does not have a watershed. Our scheduling decisions should be based on the audience expectations of each radio service and informed by our knowledge of when children are particularly likely to be in our audience. We must take extra care when different generations may be listening together. This typically applies during the morning and afternoon school runs or during school holidays. Unexpected or challenging material should be clearly signposted to avoid causing unjustifiable offence. '

So if they're going to start a story about Brian's manhood, they'd better get on with it before xmas grin

We must take extra care when different generations may be listening together. This typically applies during the morning and afternoon school runs or during school holidays. Unexpected or challenging material should be clearly signposted to avoid causing unjustifiable offence.

Did any of you hear the bloke on Feedback justifying the horribly violent afternoon play series that was on during half-term? Basically he said a) there was a warning at the start & b) as there are school holidays for a quarter of the year it's hard to avoid them (or words to that effect) confused

summary here - too old for iplayer

I was moved to write in to say there are another 39 weeks you could have done it in, but only had iphone & got frustrated with tiny keys, so gave up

ppeatfruit Thu 21-Nov-13 11:10:55

That is an interesting policy but doesn' t take into account ill Dcs or HE ones! Or different holiday dates. !

OddFodd Thu 21-Nov-13 11:25:45

There was a play on the other week where the characters had sex about 5 times in one 45 minute drama. God knows why any sw thinks anyone wants to listen to people shagging - it's just embarrassing.

Ho hum at the eyesight thing. Do you think Jill's got macular degeneration and is going blind? As for not caring about Darryl, she's always put her family first and doesn't really give a stuff about anyone else.

I love the idea of a Hellin/Jess showdown at the panto grin

I can't be doing with most radio drama so change stations at 2.15 as a rule - unless I happen to hear the first couple of mins & it happens to grab me.

I caught the original version of the Harold Fry story that way - with Anton Lesser & Annette Crosbie iirc - I was totally gripped by that one but it was years ago, they don't seem to put on things like that any more sad

OddFodd Thu 21-Nov-13 11:44:21

Even if it's good (very rare) I have to go and collect DS so miss the end (although I have been known to listen to the end on my phone on the school run)

But the good dramas are about twice a year

going by Jill's comments watching Josh's film thing - everything looking dark & dim - it is cataracts, not macular degeneration

ErrolTheDragon Thu 21-Nov-13 11:53:46

I'm glad there's guidelines rather than a watershed - Woman's Hour wouldn't work too well nowadays otherwise! Talk radio is primarily meant for adults, if you've got it on while kids are around you need to monitor what's on.

The afternoon dramas are an eclectic mix to be sure - sometimes they're just annoying, mostly a bit meh, occasionally outstanding.

OddFodd Thu 21-Nov-13 12:50:58

Oh yes, good point NicestSmile. Fixable then I presume

BitOutOfPractice Thu 21-Nov-13 13:01:18

I'm surprised that Joe seems to be rallying. I had a bet on that he would've carked it by the new year

ppeatfruit Thu 21-Nov-13 13:11:18

BitOutOf LOL at <i had a bet on that he would've carked it by new year> grin

Some of the dramas are ok, some are shite aimed at the yoof (annoying when they're repeats that I've heard though) I agree with Theonewith grin

Panzee Thu 21-Nov-13 13:24:26

I get unnerved when the dramas have Archers actors in them.

David & Kate were on Pointless Celebrities recently. That was weird. (They did v well but she has some annoying mannerisms - that was reassuring wink)

ppeatfruit Thu 21-Nov-13 17:07:12

Oh yes I could swear that Shula's doing a voiceover for an advert ATM it's odd.

lljkk Thu 21-Nov-13 19:43:53

I know it doesn't suit the drama, but Joe's recovery is entirely not what you'd expect at his age. Should be more like Jack losing his marbles following his shooting.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 21-Nov-13 19:45:53

Forget whether it suits the drama or not lljkk! What about my bet!!

TheSilveryPussycat Thu 21-Nov-13 19:51:18

My DF is 94 and I can imagine him recovering as Joe is doing. (In fact atm he is making a good recovery from something)

SthingMustBeScaringThemAway Thu 21-Nov-13 19:55:53

BitOut Surely we've decided (because they listen to us...) that it's Darrell who won't make 2014. So Joe ought to be safe.

D'you think Rob wishes he could go back in time tardis (LOOK!) and not notice Helen? Kirsty was simply murdering him tonight.

RocknRollNerd Fri 22-Nov-13 15:55:48

So what is Eddie and Neil's plan for the stray in the manger Darrell, it sounded like all would be revealed tonight.

I have a love/hate relationship with the annual panto sorry a play written in couplets with songs storyline most years. Normally because it shows Lynda's 'bad' side and I think she's genuinely one of the nicest villagers (viz her enquiring about Emma and the situation with Ed). This year it has tipped me over into outright hate as the Rob/Kirstie stuff is just irritating me so much - is it supposed to go anywhere in terms of big showdown and them all finding out about Rob when Kirstie flips out. Helen is definitely eyeing up the village bunnies though so it could be interesting.

duckyfuzz Fri 22-Nov-13 15:57:51

Anyone else think Kirsty's going to end up doing the dirty on both Helen and Tom...????

guineapiglet Fri 22-Nov-13 16:03:49

ooh, I am loving the new Tardis Icon- tardis
<tries to make Tardis relevant to the Archers.....>

Yes, Rob sounded increasingly flattened by Kirsty and Linda last night, so time travel may well be on his mind, - in fact quite a few characters could do with 'bending the time and space continuum' to have a look at where they were this time last year - I don't remember Jill being quite so snipped and smug before, and so many characters have disappeared for the duration, or been irrevocably changed forever. Will we ever see Brenda again or has she disappeared into a black hole? Chris? Ifty?

Am missing Jazzer, I wouldn't mind snuggling up in tardis with him, he sounds like a lot of fun.

tardis

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now