Who the hell are Oliver and Caroline?!

(73 Posts)
Hiphopopotamus Sat 29-Jun-13 00:55:32

So I've recently got into the Archers, and I thought I had reached a point where I had everyone and their families sorted. I'm listening to this weeks catch ups, and bloody Oliver and Caroline pop up. Who the hell are they?!

Somethingyesterday Sat 20-Jul-13 00:47:56

Yes, that happened Olivia. It may have been Christmas or New Year or some other celebration.. He and Kathy got a bit carried away by jollity and kind of proposed to each other. When the drink wore off they each admitted that, given their past marital mistakes, they couldn't really be doing with any more old new borrowed blue.

Poor Kathy.

Hang on though re: Kenton
Didn't he half propose to Kathy at the same time as Tom and Brenda/Tom and Kirstie?
and then un do it all with much relief all round???

Oh, I've read the whole thread now. Betty of course. blush

I say this every time I come across a thread about the Archers, but enough was enough for me when the gorgeous John Archer was killed off beneath his beloved tractor. I live in the countryside, proper farming countryside and I was thinking only today of poor John, when I saw all the tractors.

But anyway, since I can see there are some other veteran Archers listeners here, does anyone remember who else Brian had an affair with, around the time of his affair with Caroline? I don't mean 'Ruuury's' mother. Wasn't it Susan?

harrietspy Fri 19-Jul-13 22:13:51

On radio acting, R4, there's a great bit in this 'Radio 4 in 4 minutes' about The Archers.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdOr5FpLKR8

R4 Fri 19-Jul-13 18:16:26

Is there some dreadful disease going round Ambridge ... or have they got a new acting coach. Or perhaps new microphones?
We had months of Brenda huffing and puffing and sighing.
Then Lillian started.
Now Caroline's doing it too.

Is 'much sighing' meant to convey deep emotion and distress or summat. It's doing my nut in. Grrr

Somethingyesterday Tue 16-Jul-13 21:29:59

Lomaamina I have to say, while eyeing up speculative hats for the double wedding at The Bull, an evil voice in my head was remembering how overflowing with love and happiness Nigel was just before New Year.....

But I'm sure Kenton is saved by the fact that they have only lately deprived Jolene of a husband.

Lomaamina Tue 16-Jul-13 21:00:47

Aha harrietspy I think you may be onto something. The lovable rogue is finally settling down/has grown up etc... (love your name by the way - adored the book!)

harrietspy Tue 16-Jul-13 20:50:42

I think Kenton is going to propose to Jolene.

Lomaamina Tue 16-Jul-13 20:41:14

Hang on but aren't they lining up Kenton for something to go wrong? All this out-of-character caring behaviour? Or is he going to join the circus or summat as he and joyleen (I have such a sexy voice even when I'm changing barrels) are having too much happiness together?

Somethingyesterday Mon 15-Jul-13 22:27:00

Caroline is deffo due some health scare.

I hope it is simply that the health scare is a cue for them to temporarily sail off into the sunset - while Grey Gables is turned over to new characters and / or purposes.

Would be rather sorry if it was anything worse...

R4 Mon 15-Jul-13 21:23:06

Caroline is deffo due some health scare. Oliver was hurrumphing the other day about his retirement not being what he had hoped: they were supposed to be off globetrotting which they can't do if Caroline has <insert illness of choice here>.

TallGiraffe Mon 15-Jul-13 19:03:47

I'm with curlew, cancer or a stroke.

snice Mon 15-Jul-13 17:30:36

yes, and anyone in the village who is dodgy eg. Jazzer has a character transformation and becomes a 'loveable rogue'!

Somethingyesterday Mon 15-Jul-13 16:54:58

Snice as Kiriwawa says they did foster a few children. With a few stereotypical problems. And they did seem to just abandon the story.

"Young people" are only ever allowed into the village as outsiders if they represent some issue. The Vicar has had some brushes with kids with homelessness / drugs issues, (gone.) Pip had a no-good lower class school friend (gone.) Jamie had no-good schoolfriends, (gone.) I'm trying to think of any others in the last few decades...

curlew Mon 15-Jul-13 16:42:21

Actually, no, not heart attack- cancer. We've had heart attacks, but only one cancer that I remember.

harrietspy Mon 15-Jul-13 16:40:17

I don't think we've had a major health-related storyline (human health, that is) for a while, have we? Caroline's number has come up in storyline bingo, I think.

Brian was being very supportive of Brenda the other day... wink Thank god she's off to Russia.

Kiriwawa Mon 15-Jul-13 16:38:56

They did foster a few children snice - there was an incident with one of them I think, typical 'troubled teen' stuff.

Is it really 2 years since Roy left GG as Oliver said? I'm shocked!

curlew Mon 15-Jul-13 16:37:18

Remember, Shula has Jesus to help her resist the advances of the ineffable.Brian.

curlew Mon 15-Jul-13 16:35:09

I want to know about Kathy too- where was she when her best friend Pat needed support? After all those hours Pat spent listening to her whine on.......

JessieMcJessie Mon 15-Jul-13 16:34:20

mummytime all the more ironic that Shules is about the only Ambridge woman that Brine hasn't had an affair with!

snice Mon 15-Jul-13 16:31:54

oh and while I'm here-where the hell is Kathy?

snice Mon 15-Jul-13 16:31:02

I have asked this before so apologies but can anyone explain what happened to the long storyline about Oliver and Caroline fostering children-they talked about it and trained then nothing happened did it?

Did the SWs decide they were just too posh?

mummytime Mon 15-Jul-13 16:24:30

I always found it amusing that the actors playing Brian and Shula are married in RL.

Theas18 Mon 15-Jul-13 16:07:24

I think she turned " nice" so they can have nasty things happen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now