Right. I have two practical Archers questions that are really bothering me...

(80 Posts)
seeker Mon 27-May-13 08:12:56

1. Why do Pat and Helen never do the milking at Bridge Farm? Never? Even when it was a real problem after Tony's heart attack?

2. How on earth can Hayley and Mike's egg business be worth £4000? What is Josh actually buying?

Abra1d Wed 29-May-13 16:19:24

Yes that was David Archer, PareyMortas. Looking a bit old these days.

seeker Wed 29-May-13 19:13:28

Bloody hell, Paul's going to top Matt, isn't he? Didn't think of that!

Ponders Wed 29-May-13 20:25:58

new Clarrie is actually the original (I think) Clarrie!

iirc

Clarrie 1 (ie this one) was sacked for taking time off to attend another cast member's funeral

Clarrie 2 committed suicide sad

Clarrie 3 (whose voice also took some getting used to after Clarrie 2) recently retired

then Clarrie 1 came back as Clarrie 4

we will get used to her soon enough!

Ponders Wed 29-May-13 20:28:30

I love falling over Debbie in things like Black Books & Episodes!

& it's great that she still manages to make time for an occasional Archers appearance smile

PareyMortas Wed 29-May-13 21:25:01

Ponders - why didn't I know that I've been listening daily all my life and thought there was just one Clarrie until recently.

Ponders Wed 29-May-13 21:28:42

I've been listening (as an adult) for 30 years near enough, Parey - plus used to subscribe to Mustardland until it died this year - the Clarrie inf just kind of filtered through smile

lottiegarbanzo Wed 29-May-13 21:32:22

I remember the transition from Clarrie 2 to 3, 3 had a much harsher voice and I didn't really accept her for years!

Didn't know about Clarrie 1/4.

Mirage Wed 29-May-13 21:44:32

I can confirm that you don't need any kind of certificate to milk cows [blows dust off Guides Dairymaid badge].

grants1000 Thu 30-May-13 12:53:14

Eddie is Tesco vege as club card points voice advert at the moment, I gleefully shot up from e sofa saying this, dh had no idea who u was excited about!

Ponders Thu 30-May-13 13:29:13

Just noticed that Olivia has had seeker's misplaced apostrophe removed

How nice to have friends in high places wink

Abra1d Thu 30-May-13 15:44:06

Seeker must be sending in chocolate or gin or something.

GrendelsMum Thu 30-May-13 22:10:15

I thought it was a Freddo Frog.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 30-May-13 22:17:24

'Charlotte Connor, when not playing Susan Carter (credited as Charlotte Martin), works full-time as a senior research psychologist at the Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation; her office is a short walk from BBC Birmingham thus she is able to fit her work around recordings' (from wiki)

shock indeed Ponders.

I am strangely amazed by this, though WHY I don't know. It's just that Susan sounds so convincingly stupid. She is my favourite character.

seeker Thu 30-May-13 23:25:34

A small cone of ludicrously posh ice cream and they are mine to command........

seeker Thu 30-May-13 23:27:08

And maybe a glass or two of Lower Loxley Chardonnay......

savoirfaire Thu 30-May-13 23:42:23

Possibly my favourite MN thread ever.

TallGiraffe Fri 31-May-13 07:36:35

What I don't get about the chickens is that Josh said he wanted to put the huts on wheels so they could be labelled as grass fed. Which means they aren't free range shock So who buys non-free-range eggs at a farmers' market?!

seeker Fri 31-May-13 07:49:51

Must have missed that!

Curiouser and curiouser.....

pegwin Fri 31-May-13 07:56:30

i think they are free range but he is suggesting they do the rotating pastures thing like the brookfield cows.

you can have free range chicken s that are still fed grain, no?

TallGiraffe Fri 31-May-13 08:54:16

Well free range is not always what you think it is sad

Near us there is a barn that houses 15,000 chickens whose eggs are sold under a certain cheery chicken brand in the supermarket. They do open the doors every day so they can technically wander outside. But in reality only 5/6 are ever visible in the field. Chickens like to stay in a group, so stay inside even if they'd be happier outside. That's why eggs that you buy from farm gates taste so much better as they are genuinely free to roam <looks at ours sunbathing right now>

lottiegarbanzo Fri 31-May-13 08:58:17

That's why I buy organic eggs - much higher standards, smaller groups, so hens do go outside and scratch about. I pay £2 for half a dozen at the supermarket, at the bottom end of the organic price range. I think Josh is onto something with his speciality grass fed hens!

Abra1d Fri 31-May-13 16:08:00

Susan is so reliably awful that I love her too. I really enjoy Jennifer/Susan interactions as you know the crashing snobbery and social climbing of the respective characters will clash. Though quite why Jennifer is so hoity-toity defeats me. She was a bar-maid's daughter. Her parents ran the Bull and her father was an alcoholic. (I do like Peggy, though.) You'd think Jennifer was landed gentry sometimes.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 31-May-13 18:11:43

Right
SORRY what happened with Tom and a mugging in Felpersham pls?

TallGiraffe Fri 31-May-13 18:23:39

Matt sent a heavy to send a message to Paul. Tom intervened and the message wasn't fully delivered! Paul told Tom it was an attempted mugging.

snice Fri 31-May-13 18:27:11

While theres lots of Archers listeners here can I just ask: am I missing out on a lot by not listening to Ambridge Extra when its on? Because I wonder sometimes if stories get continued there and I'm losing bits of storylines.

<please say no, can't keep up with another programme>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now