Radio 5Live Drive. Does anyone else grind their teeth at Anna Foster?

(17 Posts)
PrincessFiorimonde Wed 20-Mar-13 17:24:29

She is seriously irritating me.

Please bring back Aasmah Mir!

nettie Wed 20-Mar-13 18:12:57

No, no, no please bring back Anita Anand. I love Peter Allen blush but all his co presenters since Anita left are annoying.

PrincessFiorimonde Fri 22-Mar-13 11:08:36

Oh dear, I don't like Anita Anand either. She drives me nuts on 'Any Answers?'.

But I know I'm just a grumpy old git.

NetworkGuy Sun 24-Mar-13 11:07:20

I've found Anita Anand quite a 'breath of fresh air' on "Any Answers" and less "full of herself" than Mr Know All smile {who interrupts the invited guests to interject and hector in Any Questions}

NetworkGuy Sun 24-Mar-13 11:10:58

Got bored with Peter Allen some years ago - Anita Anand made the show worth listening to. I'll give Anna Foster a listen, but had avoided Five Live once idiot Richard B got a slot in the afternoons... he was bad enough from 2200 to 0100 but his ego must have inflated with his Twit- ter followers and they moved him to afternoons, where it will burst one day while he's being "The Big I Am" when there's a guest who towers above him professionally...

NetworkGuy Sun 24-Mar-13 11:12:45

Sorry, yes it was Aasmah Mir... what a twit I am ! What's she up to? Now I remember seeing a piece about Anita Anand having been one of the young rising stars of news TV before going to the BBC...

Ruffello Wed 17-Apr-13 09:27:47

I'm increasing switching off 5 Live Drive as I find all the women presenters fairly irritating. Peter Allen and Asma Mir were a great team, but the new female presenters seem to alternate between BBC Breakfast TV and the drive time radio show. I'm hoping this is a temporary arrangement until a permanent replacement is found.

olgaga Wed 17-Apr-13 09:41:29

Jane Garvey was the best. It's never been quite the same since she left for Women's Hour.

I loved the way she used to slap Peter Allen down! Great sense of humour, really good interviewer too.

Aasmah Mir was good too, miss her. I've seen her occasionally doing freelance stuff for Sky, ITV, and also filling in on LBC.

I think she was one of the casualties of the BBC move to Manchester - she lives in London.

olgaga Wed 17-Apr-13 09:42:26

Anyway I would have the 5Live female presenters any day over that ghastly Stephen Nolan.

Ruffello Wed 17-Apr-13 10:18:15

I just don't understand why the BBC feels it necessary to use the same presenters on both TV and radio. I'm sure I've heard Louise Minchin and other Breakfast presenters doing both the early morning TV programme and the Drive show, even on the same day. With so much female talent out there, why can't they have a dedicated co-host for the drive show?

NetworkGuy Thu 18-Apr-13 14:31:48

Maybe none of them can stick "fuddy duddy" Peter Allen and won't take the Drive show as a permanent "partner" for him... smile

Ruffello Thu 18-Apr-13 18:28:38

I know what you mean about Anna Foster Princess. She probably can't help it, but she sounds like her nose needs a good clear out! Very nasal voices like hers sound awful on radio.

Spuderoonerism Sun 21-Apr-13 12:08:54

What NetworkGuy said. He is highly irritating with his 'I'm an old codger and I just don't get it' schtick about pretty much whatever is going on. If they need old git gravitas then they should go for Mickey the early morning Finance guy who sort of does the same thing sometimes but in a far less irritating way.

I have an absolute love/hate relationship with 5Live - in the space of 30 mins it can be incredibly good and incisive and then degenerate into the worst kind of dross. I particularly hate their insistance on 'the texts' I don't care what their listeners think, I want journalism that isn't entirely politically focussed (hence I prefer 5Live to R4) without the populist crap.

MintyyAeroEgg Sun 21-Apr-13 12:11:33

I loved the combination of Peter Allen and Jane Garvey. Very rarely listen to it now.

PrincessFiorimonde Mon 22-Apr-13 12:16:29

I think Aasmah Mir's on Woman's Hour from time to time?

Ruffello, it's not just Anna Foster's nasal tones. It's that (to me) she sounds a bit like she's trying to keep up with the grown ups. A bit too 'please, please like me', maybe.

I quite like Peter Allen, but Spud's right - it is 'old git gravitas', and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea! grin

bleedingheart Wed 05-Jun-13 07:31:14

I like Peter Allen but I miss Asmah and Jane.
Shelagh Fogerty is good but Victoria Derbyshire is immensely irritating with her 'devils advocate' approach.
However, if she's off and Stephen Nolan is on I switch off, he doesn't seem to realise he has a microphone and doesn't have to shout to be heard. Tony Livesley too; deep as a petri dish!

LJL69 Sun 14-Jul-13 16:56:25

Shelagh Fogarty is my "girl voice crush"! I so want to sound exactly like her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now