Oh no! R4: Charlotte Green is retiring

(16 Posts)
NetworkGuy Sun 20-Jan-13 19:40:03

bringonyourwreckingball - R4 Six O'Clock News with Charlotte Green will be online for a year.

NetworkGuy Sun 20-Jan-13 19:35:45

Oh, it wasn't DID but "Saturday Live" - I thought I heard her on Thursday reading the news, but it was clearly Friday (and therefore the news clip was the same day - somehow I thought that Friday was 17th and she ended on 16th).

bringonyourwreckingball Sun 20-Jan-13 19:32:12

It wasn't desert island discs, it was inheritance tracks on Saturday live - which I did hear and it was lovely

WhataBoringNameChange Sun 20-Jan-13 19:31:27

Ooh, she doesn't look a bit like I imagined. I think I'd always though of her physically being a bit more of Charlotte Rampling I clearly only know two Charlottes and just amalgamated them). V. sweet person. It's incredibly funny when the News Quiz people get her to read something slightly dubious.

bringonyourwreckingball Sun 20-Jan-13 19:30:11

So cross I missed her last time reading the news. Charlotte Green is the voice of calm. I will really miss her on Radio 4.

NetworkGuy Sun 20-Jan-13 19:26:24

Alistair McGowan was interviewed (by Shaun Ley on WatO) back in September when the news was announced.

NetworkGuy Sun 20-Jan-13 19:25:01

Recent interview for BBC News. Looks like they found her at her desk a little after 11 in the morning... and only put it online 2 days later.

There was mention of her having been on Desert Island Discs, (by the continuity announcer) after she ended the news on Thursday on R4.

BanghamTheDirtyScone Sun 20-Jan-13 19:00:09

No! sad

Tallgiraffe Sun 20-Jan-13 18:52:44

So sad, I had a real moment when they said 'and for the last time here's Charlotte Green with the news'. I loved her giggles at the recording of the singing that sounded like a bee.

NetworkGuy Sun 20-Jan-13 18:45:50

The news coverage months ago (I might have linked to it in The Grauniad or Telegraph) said Charlotte Green (56) and Harriet Cass (60) had chosen to go.

There's an across the board requirement in the BBC for departments to downsize (odd, if they downsized 'talent' fees by 10% it would save much more than the cost of a couple of well liked staff like Charlotte and Harriet, I'm sure!).

My guess is that they if they want to (and Harriet might just decide to be a lady of leisure) they will be able to get voiceover work, and with Charlotte having very clear RP, her voice will be in much demand, whether she likes it or not!

Wallison Fri 18-Jan-13 13:53:24

I loved Brian Perkins as well!

(Also loved the skits they did of him on Dead Ringers...)

Pancakeflipper Fri 18-Jan-13 13:41:23

I heard this and thought is she actually old enough to retire? Or is she just off to have fun while all youthful and have gorgeous vocal chords.

edam Fri 18-Jan-13 13:39:24

Very sad news. Hate it when funny people with gorgeous voices retire - do you when she cracked up live on air because someone was making her laugh? Still miss Brian Perkins.

She looks like the stereotype of a librarian, very neat straight hair and sensible clothes (saw her at a recording of the News Quiz or something years ago). Doesn't match her rich, rolling voice at all. But no matter, she's great at her job and seems to be a lovely woman who is very popular with her colleagues, she can wear what the hell she likes!

OmgATalkingOnion Fri 18-Jan-13 13:37:26

She was on the tv news just now but they said it'd taken quite a bit of persauding to film her.

I love her voice. No matter how bad the news is she's calm and controlled. (Except that time she got the gigglesgrin)

Wallison Fri 18-Jan-13 13:33:44

She was interviewed on Newsnight last night. You still didn't get to see her!

OmgATalkingOnion Fri 18-Jan-13 13:31:56

sad I'll miss her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now