Meet David Sedaris

(16 Posts)

My new favourite radio programme - it's on after the Archers on Sunday evenings but you can get a couple in I-player at the moment.

Sedaris is a middle-aged, gay, Jewish, New Yorker who doesn't tell jokes so much as stories about family life, travel, living in the modern world. Very wry, dry, funny.

I'd love to know if the tales about his sister Tiffany are true. She reminds me of my sister! smile

Have you read the books? So worth a look, very very funny.

Ooh no I didn't realise he'd been published as well! Thanks, I'm on to it x

Enjoy!

Just ordered 'Dress Your Family In Corduroy And Denim' from Amazon - can't wait! Thanks juno x

R4 Mon 29-Oct-12 11:16:25

He is very funny and very naughty. He starts off with a plausible-enough story and then crosses a line and you can hear his audience thinking "did he really say that !!!!shockshockshock I feel very uncomfortable" and then he lets on that he was making it up and the relief in the room is palpable.

Anne Frank last night was v funny.

SoggyMoggy Mon 29-Oct-12 11:34:28

I love David Sedaris! His Easter story about learning French and 6-8 Black Men for Christmas are pretty much traditional in our house.

Davros England Tue 30-Oct-12 20:54:54

Glad I've seen this as it has reminded me if DS. I must iplayer him and gets my hands in some stuff on amazon

KermitRuffinsTrumpet Fri 23-Nov-12 22:02:50

He's from North Carolina actually, not New York. wink

He's truly amazing but I've missed almost all of this series.

I especially love the one about the neighbours who didn't have a telly.

More of him please.

openerofjars Mon 26-Nov-12 21:48:23

Is he the one who did the one about drowning a mouse at night on the porch of a farmhouse and being asked for directions? It was hilarious! I was driving and nearly had to pull over.

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Mon 26-Nov-12 22:30:10

That's him! He's excellent. Wouldn't you love to take him for a beer? In fact that one was my introduction to him. I love the one about the skeleton his partner bought, (or did he buy it for his partner?) Anyway it really freaked him out....

parno Sun 02-Dec-12 00:40:03

I love, love, love David sedaris. I say him at a festival a couple me months ago in north Wales. He was great and I was so giddy at seeing him in person. Must admit I prefer to hear him read as his tone, accent and intonation really make the stories.

Just read "6-8 Black Men" in 'Dress Your Family ...' (it's Christmas themed) and even at 630am I was nearly weeping with laughter. He is a genius. grin

oh I love him - thew books are fab but I love listening to him- it's the dry delivery- gve my dad Holidays on Ice for Christmas...

GrendelsMum Fri 28-Dec-12 13:44:49

What happens in 6-8 Black Men?

I liked the one where he was learning French in Paris.

FellatioNelson Wed 02-Jan-13 19:50:02

And he's Greek-American, not Jewish!

He is fantastic. I bloody love him. It would be my dream to write like him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now