Brian Hayes

(10 Posts)
NetworkGuy Mon 02-Jul-12 20:40:37

Brian Hayes was on "Last Word" yesterday night ( > LINK < ) after 14m40 or so...

NetworkGuy Wed 26-Jan-11 06:56:54

LBC is on DAB here (about 200 miles from London) and with the internet, people without DAB can still listen to a wide variety of shows and some of my favourites include "As it Happens" from Canada, "Wait, Wait, Don't tell me" from USA, "West Coast Live" from San Francisco, but there have been plenty of others from all over Europe (however, all in English).

lsa2 Fri 21-Jan-11 20:25:49

Haha NetworkGuy, yes you're right that I could have used a better expression than acerbic wit! I was struggling to think of how to describe their style as at the time of writing I didn't think you had heard of either of them. I can't remember too much about Bryan Hayes now as it's been so long but I do remember being shocked at first at how confrontational he could be. Steve Allen is much milder but still makes interesting observations and says things that you were just thinking yourself, but wouldn't want to say! I can't bear listening to bland presenters.

lsa2 Fri 21-Jan-11 20:09:22

Thanks MollieO, I will see if I can track him down in Austrailia!

NetworkGuy Fri 21-Jan-11 08:28:52

He may well have done, perhaps to retire. After all, that comedy on Radio 4 which had him playing a 'washed up' radio presenter didn't get a second series, so perhaps he saw the writing on the wall, and wanted to go back to some sunshine, in the land where he was born.

I don't know whether he rubbed anyone up the wrong way at LBC or FiveLive, but even if he didn't, he, or perhaps they, may have felt it was a sensible time to end confrontational radio (my view on his FiveLive phone-in shows!) before he had a heart attack on air.

MollieO Thu 20-Jan-11 19:35:06

Didn't he go to Australia? Not sure but I thought it was something like that. Or of course I could be totally wrong.

NetworkGuy Thu 20-Jan-11 19:32:30

"acerbic wit" - one way of putting it...

I found him rather brusque on FiveLive but he was 1000% better than Richard Bacon and a few others who have been chattering on R5 in recent times.

lsa2 Thu 20-Jan-11 18:20:56

Thanks NetworkGuy, that's much appreciated. I was reminded of him yesterday when my favorite radio presenter (Steve Allen LBC) said in a Radio Times article that one of his own favouite presenters is Brian Hayes.
I remembered that I used to listen to him when I first came to live in London over 20 years ago and would like to listen to him again if I could find out if he's still broadcasting. They both have a similar kind of acerbic wit.
Thank you for researching that information for me.

NetworkGuy Thu 20-Jan-11 00:27:39

Had a quick look on MediaUK.com and can see no sign of him under radio presenters, surnames beginning with H

http://www.mediauk.com/radio/presenters/starting-w ith/h

Sorry, don't know if he is still in the UK, but at least (from this list posted on Digital Spy a few months ago [of all time great presenters]) someone doesn't list him as RIP:

Gerry Anderson
Billy Butler
Tony Capstick RIP
Mike Hurley RIP
Jeremy Beadle RIP
Max Rushden
Chris Morris
Andy Grahamme
John Sachs
George Ferguson
Jo Bunting
Peter Dickson
Bill Rennells
Ronnie Barbour
Michael Aspel
Dave Barratt
Brian Hayes
John Inverdale
Colin Berry
Chris Stuart
Pam Spriggs
Martin Stanford

Must admit I have only heard of 6 on that list, but then again, I have never lived in a big city and networked radio shows are something I have avoided over the years, so someone who made his/her name in Manchester or Leeds may never have been heard by me.

lsa2 Wed 19-Jan-11 16:45:16

Does anyone know whether Brian Hayes, who used to have a show on LBC, still broadcasts on any radio station?
I have looked on the internet but have not been able to find any up to date information on him so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now