Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Toddler pushchair - help me narrow it down!

(21 Posts)
Yeeyeelovesraaraa Wed 05-Oct-16 22:18:26

I'm really not liking using my maclaren quest sport umbrella fold stroller for dd (22 months) so am looking for an alternative that ticks all the boxes:

1.Single piece fold (pref not umbrella)
2.Decent sized/accessible shopping basket
3.One handed steering
4.Relatively light (for easy in/out car boot)
5.Light/easy to push
6.Large seat/weight limit (to last til end of pushchair days)
7.Easy for DD to climb in/out herself
8.Doesn't tip up the moment dd gets out (if changing bag hanging on back)
9. Folds relatively small (needs to fit in my Audi A1 boot ideally without having to faff removing wheels etc)
10.Lay flat seat for naps (preferable but not essential)
11.Cope with a little bit of off roading (think bumpy grass/woods) - bigger wheels are better!

Wow thats a longer list than I thought! I've beeb looking & the following seem like they may fit the bill:

BJCM or BJCM GT
Out & About Nipper (too big for car boot?)
Cybex Eternis M3
Britax B Motion 3

Can anyone help me narrow it down? Any reviews, pros/cons or recommendations much appreciated. Thankyou!

skyyequake Wed 05-Oct-16 22:25:00

I don't have a suggestion but if you want to stop whichever pushchair you buy tipping then you can buy counterweights to put in the shopping basket that are fairly unobtrusive...

SellFridges Wed 05-Oct-16 22:27:19

We have a Baby Jogger City Lite which I really like. DS is 18months and only uses it at weekends really (we both work full time). He likes it though. Climbs into it when he wants to go out!

AmyInTheBoonies Wed 05-Oct-16 22:32:11

Baby jogger gt is fab. I've been through I few pushchairs and it is the best. Easy to fold, easy to push, v big and roomy seat so will last too.

TheHubblesWindscreenWipers Thu 06-Oct-16 18:52:20

Easy walker mosey is what we have but looking at your list I'd go for Babyjogger city mini. Mosey is very stable, doesn't tip and easy to climb in. Fold on the Babyjogger is better though.

cerealnamechangers Thu 06-Oct-16 18:53:49

Maclaren techno xlr?

Yeeyeelovesraaraa Thu 06-Oct-16 23:05:43

cereal I have a maclaren already & don't want another!

Thanks for the suggestions sounds like bjcm/gt gets all the votes! Anyone with experience of the others?

skye counterweights great idea - where to buy?!

ShelaghTurner Thu 06-Oct-16 23:08:46

GT is the perfect pushchair. There's a Babyjogger selling group on FB if you're after second hand. I'm a bit past the pushchair stage now so not up to date with best places for new bargains alas.

Sunnydaysrock Thu 06-Oct-16 23:30:28

Out N About Nipper is sooo great to push. Used it as much as we cld for DS (after an awful Britax travel system with DD), now my DSis has it and has used for her 2 youngest DDs. It's a little bulky in the boot (depending on your car obviously) but perfect in all other ways.

Mol1628 Fri 07-Oct-16 14:18:08

Out n about is great. It looks quite bulky but I don't find it too bad putting in the car. It's just so lovely and easy to push.

Yeeyeelovesraaraa Fri 07-Oct-16 14:55:31

I've been out & measured the car boot & dimensions are: 93cm wide x 55cm high x 56cm deep (if I want to leave wheels on, due to the slope of the back seats - wheels off I'd maybe gain an extra couple of cm).

I've tried my friends bjcm in the boot & need to remove a wheel in order for it to lay flat. The gt would be the same, as would the nipper. In fact I've got a feeling they all might confused unless they will go in freestanding/on their side minus the parcel shelf.

I can't decide if this is a deal breaker for me. I have to do this with my vista & its a pain - hence why I use the maclaren in the car now. But it doesn't fit properly either & I hate it! Arrgghh!!

M&P armadillo might fit.... just not sure its what I'm after.

New car?!!!

Solasum Fri 07-Oct-16 14:57:29

Put the pushchair in the backseat next to child? My BJCM fits in my mum's small car like this

Tiggywunkle Tue 11-Oct-16 11:05:49

I have had all of these except I had the 4 wheel versions of the Cybex and Britax.
The Cybex has a large basket, but its restricted so you wouldn't get a large bag in there, although you can get lots of small bags in there. The Britax is similar but not as bad.
4 wheels will definitely give more stability for clambering in and out.
The Nipper has a low handle, is a dream to push, has a very restricted basket, but has good rear pockets. I think this will give you most grief with folding especially if you do need to remove a wheel.
The least problematic is the BJCMGT but I would probably run with the B-Motion as my second choice based on your child's age.

LightTripper Tue 11-Oct-16 12:56:02

Might be worth trying the Graco Evo Mini - it's very similar to the BJCM but a bit narrower and lighter I think, so it may just fit where the BJCM doesn't... I've had it for 2.5 years since my DD was born and have been very happy with it.

skyyequake Wed 12-Oct-16 10:42:54

I've had the Graco Evo Mini since DD was born and it does fold up quite easily/flat. It fits in my friends boot quite easily along with her DDs wheelchair and she's only got a little car...

StetsonsAreCool Sat 15-Oct-16 21:55:42

I've just resurrected my old Britax B agile out of the loft for DS. I've changed my car since DD stopped using it but it used to fit in the boot of my Punto, with shopping. I've got the 4 wheel version, I think it's personal preference, but I just found our previous 3 wheeler felt a bit 'tippy' with a older/heavier passenger.

The B motion wasn't available when I bought that for DD though, and I love that it's freestanding - I'd probably choose that if I was choosing again now. The Agile has really lasted well - I bought it 4 years ago, it had a 2 year rest in the loft, and it still feels like it did when I put I away.

dontpokethebear Sat 15-Oct-16 22:02:34

Mountain buggy swift! It's super dinky and really light!

groovystyle.co.uk/pushchairs/all-terrain/mountain-buggy-all-terrain/swift/mountain-buggy-swift-silver.html

greenlizard Wed 19-Oct-16 11:30:35

I fit my BJCM GT in the boot of my vauxhall corsa with the wheels on but I do have to remove the parcel shelf. I just fold and put it on its side.

Its a great pushair.

karmi2010 Tue 25-Oct-16 11:15:27

I am after the same, except that I also need either very long/extendable handle or no bar between the back wheels (I am tall and keep kicking them so had to sell the BJCM unfortunately) - I was recommended Micralite Fastfold Superlite which seems to fit all your requirements except number 8. Still looking into the reviews on it though - anyone has experience with it?

KP86 Tue 25-Oct-16 11:23:48

BJCM but def get the GT for the more robust wheels and adjustable handle. The basket isn't perfect (can be hard to access when seat is reclined) but the seat is big and the 4 wheel version is tested up to 30kg.

We took DS2.6 on holiday and took our old umbrella style stroller which was only meant for 15kg (his current t weight) and he looked way too big for it and he has plenty of room in the CM including for sleeping.

It's a true one hand fold as well.

user1476714330 Fri 28-Oct-16 09:21:54

my strawberry, thats icandy has been good, folds with one hand alos, not sure if that was on your list, not the smallest when folded but fits in our ford focus boot ok, we walk a lot of country trails and it copes OK as long as I avoid anything really muddy, not sure it ant of this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now