Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Do I really need a double buggy?

(36 Posts)
busyteachingmummy Fri 09-Sep-16 11:12:57

Hi,
I am pregnant with our second child and when they are born my eldest son will be 2 years and 4 months. Lots of people have mentioned that they had to get a double buggy with this age gap and I am just wondering if I should. We have a lovely Silvercross Wayfayrer, which I love and we bought in ender neutral colours as we didn't know the sex of the baby first time around. I don't really want a double buggy as I feel they are so large and will take up any room I do have. What do MN think?

soundsystem Fri 09-Sep-16 11:20:01

No real advice but I'm pondering the same thing. DD will be 2 and 2 months when number two arrives.

We had decided to just get a buggy board and have her on that with the baby in the buggy and the option of putting her in the buggy with the baby in the sling if needed but I'm having a wobble now and thinking maybe we do need a double.

So I don't know!

She's a good walker but my main concern is if we're out somewhere and she decides she's not getting on the buggy board to come back...

PacificDogwod Fri 09-Sep-16 11:23:28

I think it depends on how good/used to walking your 2 year old is and how much walking you are likely to do. Also how quickly you have to get to places.

We had good use out of buggy board for the 2 year aged gap between DS3 and DS4, although I already had a double buggy for DS1 and DS2 who were 1 year apart, so I had little choice grin. I bloody loved my double buggy though and found it far less trouble than I thought.
When doing the school run, I did sometimes use the double buggy for DS3 just to save time and to be able to get there on time. We'd then go shopping after wards, he'd walk and a huge amount of groceries would ride home on his vacated seat grin

What you do really depends very much on your circumstances.

PacificDogwod Fri 09-Sep-16 11:25:00

Oh, yes, and single buggy + sling works really well too - I forgot about that. I'm now having flashbacks about school runs with newborn strapped to my chest, pushing buggy with DS3, while DS1 and 2 run off in different directions and me unable to follow them because I am laden down like a mule with all their crap school stuff grin

chocoholic89 Fri 09-Sep-16 11:27:35

My son turned 2 a month after my second baby I had a double pram used it for say 4 months then got a new pram with a buggy board. He was climbing out and wanting to walk everywhere took about a month for him to get use to the idea of a board to stand on but he could also sit on it aswel. I still use it now he is 4.. ironically my 2 year old is now climbing out of pram but I'm not ready to give it up!

RiverTam Fri 09-Sep-16 11:28:40

Not everyone or every baby gets on with a sling though.

I don't have 2 DC but at that age DD was still in the buggy a lot, and I did a lot of walking.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 09-Sep-16 11:31:32

We had exactly 2 year age gap. Double buggy was a godsend! They both loved it and it was much easier to push than buggy plus buggy board. Personally I don't like slings as I like to be able to put the baby down. Our double buggy was slightly wider than a single one but very easy to push and lots of space for bags. We used it every day until they were at least 1 and 3. In fact we used it briefly when they were 2.5 and 4.5 and it was still comfortable. They loved it!

GoneClubbing Fri 09-Sep-16 11:33:05

I have the same age gap between mind and I did get a double buggy. When you need to go somewhere quickly, whizz round the shop for a few bits etc you can strap them both in and it's safe. No risk of eldest running off and if eldest throws a strop can carry on screaming but at least he's safe.

lornathewizzard Fri 09-Sep-16 11:35:51

We have a 2 year (and 2 weeks!) gap and have a double - a Phil and Teds navigator. DS is only 4 weeks and we've already used it a fair amount, not least because our car was unexpectedly off the road. Totally depends where you plan on going tho - I wouldn't want to shop or do a long walk without the option of having DD strapped in at least.
Another point to consider- I've had a bad back after pregnancy/ labour, I literally couldn't keep up with DD if she was walking (IE running!). So it was either only go out when someone else was with me or both in the process.

DollyBarton Fri 09-Sep-16 11:36:44

Depends solely on your lifestyle. Do you walk regularly along roads? To go for coffee or shopping or errands. Then I think you need a double buggy (for both safety and tiredness). Do you live in the countryside and drive everywhere? Then a single will do.

lornathewizzard Fri 09-Sep-16 11:37:41

*pram not process!

busyteachingmummy Fri 09-Sep-16 11:39:24

That all sounds good. I am not a fan off slings as I want to pop baby down. Our son doesn't like using the pushchair much he wants to get out and about so not sure whether he will stay on a buggy board.

Does anyone know of a good double buggy that takes a carrycot? Would really miss my Silvercross though.

KP86 Fri 09-Sep-16 11:41:10

City mini double will hold a carrycot. Look for a second hand pram if you think you might only be using it for 6-12 months.

Don't get rid of your silver cross, use it again when you don't need the double anymore.

busyteachingmummy Fri 09-Sep-16 11:41:42

We only have one car at the moment and my husband can take it for a whole week for work so would have to walk/get the bus to do anything. Do you have any space in the car boot with a double buggy?

barefootbird Fri 09-Sep-16 11:42:39

If you do get a double there are always loads of hardly used ones on e-bay, I found that buying one that could be pushed one handed was useful for when the older one wanted to walk.

I was a bit of a sling fan so most of the time I used the single buggy/sling combo but there were times when the double made life so much easier and gave me a rest from carrying.

busyteachingmummy Fri 09-Sep-16 11:44:10

Good idea KP86! Will look that one up. Any suggestions where to look for secondhand?

BarbarianMum Fri 09-Sep-16 11:45:09

We had a similar age gap and we really needed a double buggy but only for 9 months. I've know others manage with a single plus buggy board or a single plus sling but that would never have worked for our family/ children. I think you just have to wait and see.

PacificDogwod Fri 09-Sep-16 11:45:39

Oh, I never 'liked' the sling either, but needs must an'all that.

Loved my Doublenipper - v lightweight, easy to fold up or down and folded quite flat, went in the back of the car no bother. Had a gorgeous barely used one from eBay.

I looked at Mountain Buggies, but thought them too bulky/heavy although I am sure they were built like tanks.

BarbarianMum Fri 09-Sep-16 11:47:53

We used a "from birth"McLaren double (second hand from Ebay, resold there later). Folds and fits through doorways, in boots and on buses.

busyteachingmummy Fri 09-Sep-16 11:53:09

Just trying to have a look online and feel like I have no idea what I am looking at. Our mothercare has been a bit of a pain in the arse about things but don't think there is anywhere else that can give me advice near us.

lornathewizzard Fri 09-Sep-16 12:10:16

Oh definitely go and see them if you can, our tall 2 year old was too big for a lot of the tandems. But do try and get it second hand, we got our Phil and teds for about a third of the price in great condition.
I like ours, though it's heavy once folded, not ideal for our house with stairs so it lives in the car.

busyteachingmummy Fri 09-Sep-16 12:19:15

Thanks. I think that our son will dislike the tandem and being on the bottom, plus he is on the 91% for height so not sure how that will work lornathewizzard.

It will have to live in the car as the steps into ours would be awful to carry in and out.

barefootbird Fri 09-Sep-16 13:26:59

There are quite a few of these on ebay, search 'nipper 360'. For a side by side they are pretty narrow and they are easy to push with one hand, I seem to remember that you can have a carry cot on one side until your baby is big enough to go with out.

Baby jogger is also another one to search on ebay as is Mountain buggy.

KP86 Fri 09-Sep-16 13:47:50

Buying second hand - local FB groups, second hand baby and kids markets, gumtree, eBay...

I prefer gumtree over eBay because you aren't committing sight unseen and more room to negotiate.

If DC1 goes to nursery ask if they can put a wanted note up on the board.

Newquay Fri 09-Sep-16 13:56:07

Obviously it depends on where you walk how often but I thought I would be ok with a sling and pushchair (I was in same situation as you and had used s sling for number one for almost a year ) but after 3 months it was just too much: it's not good for your back to be pushing a pram and a baby in sling once they get a bit bulkier. Bear in mind your pelvic floor won't be as robust as after number 1. Anyway I kept my old buggy (bugaboo) and also bought a 360 out and about which goes through most doors. I love it! Eldest has just started reception and he still jumps in it. For the time where he was reluctant - around 3 - he sat on the front 'step' of it - which worked really well. I couldn't recommend getting a 360 double buggy more and just treat it as if you will resell it at the end. They keep their value. Good luck smile and no hurry hey - why not leave it until
3 months and sling it until then and look around a lot when you are mat leave with both of them. I really do think that side by side ones are better / now my 2 and almost 5 year old are relating to each other - I really like how they can chat together in transit. I hate the look of the Phil n ted tandem and don't see how they work once your youngest is 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now