Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Why do pushchairs only seem to go up to 15kg?

(7 Posts)
Zoeee88 Thu 19-May-16 20:18:21

My friend has a chunky 2 and half year old. As she doesn't drive, she needs a new buggy for him. However, pretty much all the buggies seem to have a max weight of 15kg, and he's now over that.
Why is this? It's not that uncommon for parents to need buggies for older toddlers surely?
I know five years ago my boy was in a buggy until past three, because we didn't drive and his legs wouldn't cope with walking everywhere.

moggle Thu 19-May-16 22:43:41

I have read that it's because that's the standard testing weight in the UK. Companies have to pay more to get them tested to a higher level. Have a look to see if the pushchair is sold in the US and if so see what they say on US websites about the weight limit as it's often higher. As a FYI, on the babyjogger.co.uk site it says that the city mini is tested up to 29.5kg.

SaveSomeSpendSome Thu 19-May-16 22:47:46

Silver cross pop is 25kg.

The silver cross reflex is also 25kg.

I ve no idea why they only go up to 15kg.

mrsmugoo Thu 19-May-16 22:50:14

What happens if you put a child over 15kg in one? Do they literally snap in half and break?

SaveSomeSpendSome Thu 19-May-16 22:51:18

They start to wear down on the back wheels and then the pram squeaks like mad when you push it

megletthesecond Thu 19-May-16 22:53:44

Mine were fine in three wheelers until well past 4yrs. They were well over the weight limit.

MelT1980 Fri 20-May-16 14:35:41

My iCandy Peach goes up to 25kg, you unzip the hood at the back to raise it up, although I don't think it could hold a 6 year old!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now