Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

does a double for parent facing baby and a tall toddler exist?????

(20 Posts)
cherrylola Mon 28-Mar-16 22:01:50

I have an almost 4 month old and a tall toddler (will be 3 in June) and I need a pram of come sort for them both to fit in. The toddler walks a lot but cannot be trusted not to get too tired after a trip to the park or wherever so can't always make it home on foot. He is also a flight risk and I can't go shopping etc with him on the buggy board and expect him not to leg it (we are working on this). I also find the buggy board in general a massive PITA as I trip over it and find it difficult to steer. I would like to keep the baby facing me for as long as possible.

I bought an ancient Phil and Ted's sport second hand and Ds1 is too tall for the doubles kit when it's up on the front and the whole thing is REALLY heavy. I like the idea of an inline as we have a narrow Victorian terrace and very narrow pavements where we live (urban). However, I'm now questioning P&T as I don't like the thought of DS2 being so low down, also, he is too small to be in such an upright seat for a while.

I'm desperate for something I can use now and for the next year so I can stop having to drive everywhere now he weather is getting better.

I often use a sling which is fine but I need the option to be without it so the baby can sleep safely and I can properly play with my eldest.

Any thoughts?? Or is it a pipe dream that something suitable exists??

possum18 Mon 28-Mar-16 22:28:20

I was going to suggest the bugaboo donkey which has loads of different configurations which may be suitable but it's quite wide and you want narrow street suitability, so probably not?

cherrylola Mon 28-Mar-16 22:30:44

I've considered it but I think the seats may be too short for my eldest. I had a quick glance in mothercare the other day. Didn't manage to wrestle him into it as he'd had enough of trying prams by then!

LurkingQuietly Mon 28-Mar-16 22:35:17

No help, but following closely. I have the icandy peach double but my huge 2 year old has outgrown the seat really, and makes it sooooo heavy. The thought of buying another pram makes me a bit nauseous though.

Miz10 Mon 28-Mar-16 22:35:50

Baby jogger city mini with carry cot for the baby

Laquila Mon 28-Mar-16 22:36:53

Have you looked at the BJ City Select? It has loads of different configurations and from what I've seen the seats are pretty roomy.

I have a 5 wk old and a 2.5yr old in a (also second-hand!) P&T Explorer - I though it was the best of various not-great options, and it works OK but is admittedly heavy. To be honest though I think any double is going to be heavy with a nearly 3-yr old and a baby.

The Oyster 2 double is well-rated - have you seen that?

Another possible option is the BJCM double - it's very narrow, for a side-by-side, and easy to steer. Ahh it's not parent-facing though.

roalddahl Mon 28-Mar-16 22:39:40

We have a phil & teds navigator with a navigator 2 second seat. Doesn't solve your parent facing wish but the navigator 2 seat reclines making it more suitable for a smaller sibling and when in baby mode, the second seat up front fitted our average length 4.5 year old.

Artandco Mon 28-Mar-16 22:43:03

Maybe the mountain buggy + one

ThirtyNineWeeks Mon 28-Mar-16 22:43:15

I'm furious that my iCandy Peach 3 double is too small for my (just turned) two year-old angry

Gungdjur Mon 28-Mar-16 22:43:39

My eldest fits in the donkey seats - she's 5 in June. I would try it and see as it really is a great buggy - can't recommend it highly enough.

TheABC Mon 28-Mar-16 22:43:59

YY to the Baby jogger - already use the single. I have a 2.5 year old and a newborn on the way. Decided to try a baby trends sit n stand stroller (you can order from eBay or amazon). Will not have it until next week so I can't report on how practical it it, but you can fit a car seat and toddler in it together.

DevonLulu Tue 29-Mar-16 17:20:09

It would depend on the weight of your toddler, your nap requirements and the head control of your little one, but the Uppababy vista 2015 would work perfectly. Little one up top parent facing and the toddler back to back lower at the front.

cherrylola Tue 29-Mar-16 21:14:24

Thank you all for your help, I'm still so confused confused!!
The ones like the uppababy, which have the toddler outward facing but quite low down, I would be concerned wouldn't balance very well?? He is over 2 stone heavy. Presumably the children prefer being side by side so they can interact together but o don't know how I'd find something to fit DS1 whilst being able to why it through the front door etc. I was on the bus today and realised I wouldn't be able to get a bugaboo donkey on, however food they look.
DS1 legged it again today sigh

cherrylola Tue 29-Mar-16 21:15:40

Gosh, fat fingered typing

RatOnnaStick Tue 29-Mar-16 21:21:00

The city select is bastard heavy with a toddler and baby in there and, I would imagine, almost impossible to manoeuvre onto a bus. You would probably have issues with any double on a bus though.

Does the baby have to be parent facing? If you can get round that have a look at the Micralite Twofold. It's a genius bit of engineering and design if a bit quirky.

DevonLulu Wed 30-Mar-16 07:05:16

I have bought a side by side outnabout nipper double for all your reasons and it suits fine.

I have a vista 2015 but decided against the second seat due to weight worries and use it with s board for short trips, round shops etc. Usually have the sling in the bottom in case toddler is being naughty!

With my DS1, now 27 months, he still faces me when he's in his own! I love it. However, DS2 aged 4 months is fine not parent facing as his brother constantly chats to him! I just talk to myself!

I bought second hand and will probably only use for less than a year, so j think of it as hiring!

redcaryellowcar Wed 30-Mar-16 07:21:56

I had a similar age gap and. Very tall dc1, I found that the weight limit on most doubles was 15kg, which was roughly what dc1 was when I was around 6 months pregnant, so I thought he would be too heavy for it once baby arrived. The only one I could find which took children to 18kg was a mountain buggy but it was forward facing and side by side. Sorry I realise that's not all that helpful, suppose what I'm trying to say is check weight limits too.

Sundaysmumisfullofwine Wed 30-Mar-16 20:27:21

I've got an old oyster max with a 6 month old and a big 2 year old. With toddler in the bottom seat he fits but is a bit squashed.
What about the new mountain buggy duet? We had the old one and it's very narrow, but there was still plenty of space for the toddler, and I think the new one can be parent facing.

Mizzicles Wed 30-Mar-16 20:38:10

Would carrying your toddler in a sling work? I have a 3yo and 1yo, a baby jogger city mini, and 2 slings - connecta for baby and toddler-sized Tula. They can both fit the BJCM, so if baby needs a nap and 3yo needs a carry, I can pop her on my back in the sling.

KittyCatKittyCat Wed 30-Mar-16 21:11:30

Mountain buggy duet? As wide as a sing, goes through doors no problem, side by side. My 90cm toddler is happy in it, seats recline for her baby brother. 15kg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now