Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Double buggy advice

(16 Posts)
CDrum Mon 28-Dec-15 20:16:58

My second child is due in around 8 weeks and my son will be 22 months. I've been looking at doubles, mainly the oyster max and the Phil & teds navigator. Does anyone have any experience of these for a newborn and a toddler? I'd like to use it as a single buggy after.
Any help would be much appreciated.

trilbydoll Mon 28-Dec-15 20:21:03

Does your dc1 still nap? If so a P&T might not be the best option. I've got an ancient Sport and now dd1 is 2.7 I'm finding it nearly impossible to push with both of them in it. It is very old and knackered though!

I've got a Babyjogger side by side, I love it. But no good if you don't have a single as well for days when you only have one.

poocatcherchampion Mon 28-Dec-15 20:22:43

I've had an oyster max for a newborn & toddler twice. I have also used it for a 2&3 yo a lot.

The only thing I don't do is use it as a single as I think it is a bit big for that and use a buggy.

Would highly recommend it.

CDrum Mon 28-Dec-15 20:50:00

My son always has a nap straight after his lunch in the house so rarely in the buggy. I'm trying to avoid the side by side as everywhere I go seems to have narrow door frames!
Was your toddler happy in the bottom of the oyster max?

westcountrywoman Mon 28-Dec-15 21:00:54

The Mountain Buggy Duet (side by side) is the same width as Phil and Teds so don't let narrow doorways put you off.

bananas4kate Mon 28-Dec-15 21:05:46

I had a 22 month gap between my 2 and have a Navigator. I thought I wouldn't like it but it has worked out well.
There are some compromises - when using with newborn lying flat there is no recline for your toddler. It can be difficult to get the baby into the lower seat at times too. The basket is practically unusable when used as a double.
On the whole I've been happy with it though and am still using it now they are one and nearly three. It's easy to push and there's no problem getting through doors.

MumCodes Mon 28-Dec-15 21:14:09

I had the Mountain Buggy Duet when DS2 was born (DS1 was 21 months). Love love love it! Still going strong nearly three years and another baby later. We got a carrycot for when the baby was tiny, then put them into the chair at 5/6 months.

Only fault is that you can't have parent facing chair, but your need to spend an absolute fortune Bugaboo Donkey to get that.

It's narrower than it looks (it's the position of the wheels), can get through standard doors easily and I liked the kids being next to each other.

poocatcherchampion Mon 28-Dec-15 21:15:50

Very happy they both were, and will be again when the new baby gets promoted out of the carry cot

knaffedoff Mon 28-Dec-15 21:20:34

Loved our p&t, best thing ever !

CDrum Mon 28-Dec-15 21:24:19

Thanks for all your help! The mountain duet looks really good but as I'm looking for a single pushchair to use after I think I'll go with the oyster max.

Artandco Mon 28-Dec-15 21:30:26

Can you just use a buggy board and sling? We had 15 month gap and eldest still napped but he napped at home most the time also or just on my lap if out all day so didn't actually need somewhere for him to sleep.

You could then just get a decent single with board and swap them over. I would get a bugaboo bee with board with seat. Then you can put bay in sling if really needed and toddler in seat. The bugaboo bee works well as parent facing so baby can be fully reclined without getting in the way of toddler on board

Like this m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/bugaboo-wheeled-pram-board/p1559078?sku=233749218&kpid=233749218&s_kenid=048f3b28-4d6c-4464-b81a-2186c7582173&s_kwcid=403x971085&tmad=c&tmcampid=73#page_loaded

At that age they can walk a lot also so knacker them out for nap and bedtime also! Just use the board or in seat in really tired

knaffedoff Mon 28-Dec-15 22:12:32

2yr gap, for the first 6m baby was in cocoon of p&t, from 6m we put the youngest on the top and the eldest climbed in and out of the bottom seat until we got rid of the bottom seat and used it as a single. Does this help?

ceeveebee Mon 28-Dec-15 22:27:29

We had icandy peach which was brilliant, so easy to push, easy to get on and off buses/trains/into shops as so narrow. We used it for my twins till about 3, then used as a single plus buggy board till nearly 4 if we were going for long walks (as DS is a bit of a lazy so and so). I think the oyster max is very similar but I've never pushed one. p&ts are a bit wide and heavy imo.

Shiskashaz Fri 01-Jan-16 22:23:41

Hello, sorry to hijack this thread but I've a quick question and quite new to mumsnet.
Can anyone tell me if a 4 year old could hop in and out of the back seat in a Phil and teds? Basically, should he fit? He's average height and weight.
I'm going on holidays with my 2yo and 4yo and i want somewhere for him to sit should he want (he is lazy) and if he doesn't want in then it's additional storage space.
So just looking to know if he's likely to fit?
Thanks so much

maisi3moo Mon 04-Jan-16 11:38:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Butterfliesprettybutterflies Mon 04-Jan-16 11:57:15

The navigator is very narrow - much better than the older phil and teds. I use mine for the school run daily and it's brilliant - v easy to push and now 2 and 3 year old still fit (school runs a bit far for them to walk both ways and I like them contained!) I'll be using it again with newborn and toddler soon and im sure it will be great again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now