Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

double buggy for baby and toddler with additional needs/developmental delay

(23 Posts)
Cuppachaplz Tue 22-Dec-15 09:26:38

Not sure this is the right place, but hoping for double buggy recommendations.
There will be a 15m age gap and older baby has a developmental delay (not yet sitting/moving and poor neck/head control at 13m)
Thanks for reading

Physio criteria
Should be supportive
Needs to lie flat/fully recline due to poor head control and neck instability issues
Ideally high weight limit as he's likely to be in it a long time (so 25kg as a minimum)
Tummy bar if possible
SaLT would like rear facing as an option for signing whilst walking

Off road-ish, prefer pneumatic tyres
Suitable for newborn.

Heeeeeelp

Avebury Tue 22-Dec-15 10:56:52

What do you have as a single? Is there a double version? I would definitely go for pneumatic tyres as they are far easier to push once children get that bit heavier.

Cuppachaplz Tue 22-Dec-15 11:21:36

I have a city mini lite, which I hate (but DH loves). It gets stuck everywhere.
Mainly I just use a wrap or sling as I despise it so much, but bump is getting too big so staying home more and more.

We had a Pegasus atp before that but physio said it was inNot sure this is the right place, but hoping for double buggy recommendations.
There will be a 15m age gap and older baby has a developmental delay (not yet sitting/moving and poor neck/head control).
Thanks for reading

Physio criteria
Should be supportive
Needs to lie flat/fully recline due to poor head control and neck instability issues
Ideally high weight limit as he's likely to be in it a long time (so 25kg as a minimum)
Tummy bar if possible
SaLT would like rear facing as an option for signing whilst walking

Off road-ish, prefer pneumatic tyres
Suitable for newborn.

Heeeeeelp

Cuppachaplz Tue 22-Dec-15 11:24:13

Gaaa.
Phone failure.
Loved Pegasus atp from ds1, but jo good for ds2.
We got the city mini to replace it, which us the reason I wanted pneumatic tyres-hate the ones on the baby jogger city hmm

Hufflepuffin Wed 23-Dec-15 19:46:05

Would your older child be ok in a bucket type seat or does it need to be fully lay flat?

DixieNormas Wed 23-Dec-15 19:49:16

I'm not sure if you need something that's parent facing but I would say definitely go for something with big pneumatic tyres like you said as it will be easier to push as they get older

Gungdjur Wed 23-Dec-15 20:04:00

I've an 18 month gap between my second and third children and my second has a disability. I don't need the neck support but I think my bugaboo donkey fits most of your other criteria?
Weight might be pushing it - my oldest must be nearly 20kg and she sits in and is fine to push although over the recommendations.
My child is also likely to be in a buggy for a long time and I was conscious of having one that would last for ages - but found it impossible to get one parent facing with high weight limit. Then I realised my youngest child will probably be able for a buggy board by the time my middle child is too heavy for the double.
I find the donkey really good and would really recommend it despite the high price tag - if the seats are suitable for your LO. They don't go flat but are supportive enough to be used in place of a wheelchair after a spinal operation my son will be having.

Good luck with everything. I was really stressed about managing a new baby with an 18 month old who couldn't even sit but I'm just over a year in and it's flown by. It has been stressful at times but much better than I expected x

Gungdjur Wed 23-Dec-15 20:06:12

Alternatively, what about wearing the baby and just having a single for your older child?

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Wed 23-Dec-15 20:16:51

Bugaboo donkey or if you can forgo the parent facing - nipper 360 or mountain buggy

poocatcherchampion Wed 23-Dec-15 20:22:26

I've got a feeling the mark 2 ouster max has 2 lie flat seats. I still have my 2yo parent facing, newborn currently in carrycot.

When I had 2 and 3 yo in it when they were younger I had one in the top and the other bloew and they both felt parent facing and I could sign to both..

Cuppachaplz Wed 23-Dec-15 21:16:52

Thanks everyone.
I think the consensus is lying fully flat is more important than parent facing (which would just be an added bonus) so will run with that.

Dixie , aside from ease of pushing, I can't even get up the drive around here with small tyres, let along go for a walk.

As far as I can see there are no buggies for>15kg which are parent facing, so moving on, looking at the TFK twin by twist, the bumbleride indie twin, the valco tri, or the mountain buggy duet. Any experiences anyone?

nannyplumislostinspace Wed 23-Dec-15 21:39:26

How about an I candy peach blossom?

Hufflepuffin Wed 23-Dec-15 22:05:38

The nipper double has a max weight of 22kg per seat www.outnabout.com/products/nipper-double.asp

Avebury Wed 23-Dec-15 22:09:56

Easy Walker Twin is a bit tank like looking but lovely to push

Hufflepuffin Wed 23-Dec-15 22:14:54

Baby jogger will be bringing out a double version of their vue reversible umbrella buggy in 2016 - not sure of the weight limits and I imagine the handling will be pretty unwieldy but will be a reversible lay flat double.

Or you could try and get a massive coach built pram and pop them both in it <wistful for the sort of house and life where that would be an option>

BabyTheCaveLion Wed 23-Dec-15 22:17:46

I had a mountain buggy duet and loved it. Lies flat but not parent facing. It's heavy to get in and out the boot of the car but ace to push around shops etc. I have a 16 month age gap

Want2bSupermum Wed 23-Dec-15 22:18:09

We have the citi select. For all its faults I love that I can have my son face me when he needs 1-1 time. It's clunky and heavy but it does tick your boxes. I think the donkey does too.

Artandco Mon 28-Dec-15 21:34:45

Emmalijunja viking double

www.emmaljunga.co.uk/stroller/double-viking/

captaincake Thu 31-Dec-15 20:48:58

baby jogger city mini gt double? Doesn't rear face though. Or the select but not sure if the tyres would be off road enough for you.

RandomMess Thu 31-Dec-15 20:55:02

Hmmm Bob Double will have the highest upper weight limits.

It may be a case of buying 2nd hand and changing to something non-rear facing as they both get older and heavier?

RandomMess Thu 31-Dec-15 20:57:40

Not sure if you can buy them new in the UK

but here it is

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITAX-BLACK-REVOLUTION-BOB-SPORT-DUALLIE-STROLLER-TWIN-JOGGER-DOUBLE-PUSHCHAIR-/262213601112?hash=item3d0d260758:g:mTYAAOSwCQNWgaT9

I am a former pushchair addict for very large heavy DC and this was the easiest thing in the world to push...

captaincake Thu 31-Dec-15 22:53:09

m.groupon.co.uk/deals/gg-groupon-goods-global-gmb-h-147-260 What about this?

WhirlwindHugs Thu 31-Dec-15 22:57:49

We have the mountain buggy duet, I have a 2yo and 4yo in it without issues. My 4yo has issues that mean he sleeps a lot so I expect him to be in it until he is nearly 5, which is fine weight wise for the duet.
It's fantastic to push! Ours has needed new tires as done more than 1k miles but still going strong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now