Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Compact pushchair for the "I'm walking everywhere" child who also likes to nap?

(17 Posts)
shitebag Wed 29-Apr-15 07:44:44

We currently have a big pram and a City Mini but DD is at the stage she wants to walk more and more but also likes to jump in the pushchair if we're out too long.

Both pushchairs are quite big to be pushing around empty whilst holding her hand so I'm thinking of selling the City mini and getting something smaller but don't want to go down the material on poles stroller type because I really dislike umbrella folds.

Have been looking at Joie Aire and Graco Cities Sport so far, any other recommendations? Budget is only about £80.

Ihateparties Wed 29-Apr-15 17:08:00

We had a red kite zumi, it's cheap looking and a bit cheap feeling in certain areas but does a good job.

GoMommaItsaBargain Wed 29-Apr-15 21:03:21

I had a really good play with the mountain buggy nano in mothercare today, it was fab, I am in a similar situation with my nearly 18 month old, and it felt like a breath of fresh air compared to my Phil and teds , which is fab but getting heavy with his weight in Despite being new model so very maneouvreable, the nano is way easier though and has high weight limit for seat and under seat basket, nice leg support and reclines enough for naps, however it's 199 ..... My budget was 100 but I'm going to wait and save a bit extra cash and get it , then run that and the p n t until Im confident we really don't need the larger one anymore..... I was also consider the bjcm though , thought that may be handier than my Phil when toddler walking alongside......

shitebag Thu 30-Apr-15 14:08:49

Thank you smile

I had a look at the Zumi but I'm not sure it'd be any easier to handle than the City Mini we have and whether its anymore compact in general as I feel as though the BJCM is massive when trying to hold onto a 2 year old.

I hadn't actually looked at the Nano before as I don't normally do small pushchairs but it actually looks okay. I also like the look of the Armadillo City, Recaro Easy life and City Zip but can't decide if its worth paying so much for something that will be empty 75% of the time and probably only be in use for a year at most.

GoMommaItsaBargain Fri 01-May-15 13:29:35

Def try and play with the nano, i was very impressed with its sturdy feel despite lightweight, perfect for pushing empty! I hung a heavy change bag on it empty and it didn't tip over, the only other lightweight pram I've had that does that was a bugaboo bee, It may only be a years use of whatever you end up buying but prob well worth it, rather than daily use of something heavy and unwieldy, I also don't usually do small pushchairs, I did have a bugaboo bee for a bit which was excellent but seemed not robust enough for my school runs walks. The armadillo city looks ok but I imagine your bjcm is nicer quality? (Sorry to any armadillo fans) I've never had much luck with mamas and papas buggies although I did just look at the armadillo xt as alternative to my Phil and teds, which had a fab big seat and seemed quite good quality, it was heavy though and imagine would be tricky as time goes on and toddler gets bigger! Lightweight the way to go I think! Hope you get something sorted

JoyceDivision Fri 01-May-15 13:36:44

I had a maclaren, but the best thing was a discreet nylon strap that clipped across the back so when it was folded down i could carry on my shoulder. I di look a bit odd but better than chasing teh dc with an empty and uncotrollable pram :-)

Laquila Fri 01-May-15 13:37:43

Personally I think you'd regret getting rid of the BJCM but that's because I've just bought one as my solution to your same problem! (But compared to my Versa GT it's very dainty ;))

Laquila Fri 01-May-15 13:38:50

I have a cheapo Maclaren Quest too, which I bought before th BJCM, but the latter is so much nicer to push and comfiee for naps. The hood on the Quest is a bit rubbish.

Paddingtonthebear Fri 01-May-15 13:43:12

Quinny zapp xtra or Petite star Zia fold now pretty small and are lightweight. I had a zia for a holiday, it felt very flimsy but I was using an Uppababy vista in those days which is a far superior quality product. I had a Maclaren for a short time and hated it. I prefer one bar to two handles.

We have a babyzen yoyo now l, folds into a small square and you can carry on your shoulder, makes the City mini look big! but they are very expensive, ours was an ebay bargain.

Nano and Easylife look very good

MaraThonbar Fri 01-May-15 13:44:02

I also hate umbrella folds and bought a zumi on ihateparties' recommendation. It suits us very well and has a very easy one-handed push for when DD is walking and holding my hand.

RugBugs Fri 01-May-15 13:46:10

I got an armadillo a few months ago for a holiday and love it, so light I can pick it up with one hand and it fits in the footwell of the car.
The old version can be picked up quite cheaply online.

Paddingtonthebear Fri 01-May-15 13:52:01

The Yoyo is overly priced but so light, I can carry it easily with one hand and carry it up a flight of stairs with 2.5 yr old DD in it grin. It folds to nothing, it fitted in the basket of our old pram and went in the overhead locker on an aeroplane last year. It's ingenious. I believe the mountain buggy one is a very close copy and a much more reasonable price! I do love the BJCM but unfolded it felt the same height and weight as the Vista we had, but wasn't as nice to push

shitebag Fri 01-May-15 14:56:04

Bizarrely my BJCM feels just as awkward to push holding DD's hand as my main pushchair which is a fixed wheel Emmaljunga! I love my big pram but it ain't great for a one hand push spinning around trying to catch a 2yo lol

shitebag Fri 01-May-15 15:02:49

My other thinking is braving a bike and seat for her despite not being a particularly keen cyclist grin

OhTheDrama Fri 01-May-15 21:14:00

Just ordered the red kite push me (which is the zumi) off Asda's website for £52. They have it on offer in their baby event. It's just for holidays and plane journeys but hoping it's decent, couldn't pass it up at that price!

shitebag Sat 02-May-15 15:56:45

Had a look in our local pram store, and the only bar handle stroller in stock was the Recaro. I loved it BUT it wasn't actually much smaller than the city mini length wise which shocked me so think I'll just stick with what we have and secretly lust after the Recaro

MrsGiraffe12 Mon 18-May-15 16:30:10

Can I suggest a Graco evo mini. One hand fold, light to push one handed, has a huge basket but lies flat for naps x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now