Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Best double buggy for running?

(13 Posts)
micmacaroo Tue 21-Oct-14 03:39:29

Hi, I'm about to have my second baby and already have a two year old. I am quite a keen runner and thinking about getting a jogging buggy but finding it difficult tofind a double that is recommended for running. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

micmacaroo Tue 21-Oct-14 11:33:14

Bumping

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Tue 21-Oct-14 12:05:12

I use the Out n about nipper double - it's not perfect but it does ths job (I actually couldn't find a dedicated jogging double buggy)

laraeo Tue 21-Oct-14 12:18:58

If you're a serious runner, I'd look at the BOB brand. It's American and has been around for some time. I had the Ironman single and it was great. I'm on the iPad but here's a link (maybe) www.bobgear.co.uk/product-page?id=3195&cat=strollers&name=IRONMAN-Duallie. Not sure about price but probably $$$. They're not small and you won't want to use it as your only stroller but if you're going to run, they're fantastic.

The BOB Revolution is very common here in the US. It's a bit more versatile because of the smaller front wheel that can lock for running or swivel when out and about but it's still not compact and I think that if you're using it solely to run, I'd go for the larger front wheel.

The BOB strollers are easy to fold and have quick release wheels in back. They just don't fold super small.

DS was always very comfortable in it and it had a decent storage basket. I also got the BOB brand rain/wind shield which was very effective and easy to put on. We also had the parent console.

I really can't say enough good things about them.

Tiggywunkle Wed 22-Oct-14 16:25:56

It has to be a BOB Duallie if you want a serious running pushchair. They are excellent. There are several double choices if you have a look at the BOB website.

The TFK Twinner Twist Duo has a handbrake but I don't actually think it is certified for running with in the UK, but it is worth looking up about. It may have been certified since I had it.

micmacaroo Thu 23-Oct-14 20:55:56

Thanks, this is really helpful. I've heard a lot of good things about BOB so will definitely check that out. Degusti.. (sorry on mobile so your full name . isn't coming up!) I had a look at the nipper but what I don't understand about buggies that aren't dedicated joggers is whether that's to do with things like the baby's position and posture (which would worry me) or whether it's just that they are not guaranteeing that the buggy would standup to the strain (not much in my case, a keen, but extremely slow, runner). Thanks!grin

Tiggywunkle Thu 23-Oct-14 21:25:33

Just to add, you probably know, but you aren't supposed to run until the baby reaches 6 months. Bugaboo are saying 9 months for their new Runner pushchair.

laraeo Fri 24-Oct-14 05:05:36

With running/jogging strollers, it's all about wheel size. The larger the wheels, the easier it is to run with it. So while you might get away with jogging with the Nipper, it looks like it's only got 12" wheels and you're going to have to exert/push that much harder.

If you get something with all 18" wheels, your rolling resistance decreases dramatically and your running/jogging will be that much easier.

A compromise is having the 18" wheels in back and a 12" wheel in front. Just make sure you have the ability to lock the front wheel in place. You want the stroller to track a straight line. Otherwise you'll spend a good deal of energy keeping it going where you want it.

With all jogging strollers, as Tiggy mentioned, the baby needs to be 6 months minimum - able to sit up unaided.

Here's an article on selecting a jogging stroller. I didn't read it to closely since DS's stroller days are over but it should give you some ideas.

www.babygearlab.com/Jogging-Stroller-Reviews

laraeo Fri 24-Oct-14 05:08:07

Sorry, that should be 16" wheels, not 18".

micmacaroo Fri 24-Oct-14 14:09:22

Thanks! This is great- I'll let you know how I get on!

baa85sss Tue 28-Jul-15 21:07:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

crazytyke Tue 28-Jul-15 21:32:43

I have the double nipper and when fully loaded with a toddler and baby it's a workout just walking up a hill never mind running! I'm a runner without a pram, never managed it with. Where would you go? I don't think I am brave enough and surely the constant kerbs etc would halt any kind of momentum?

museumum Tue 28-Jul-15 21:37:22

I have a chariot cougar bike trailer with front wheel for running. It's great where there's space, but doesn't turn well and needs locked up outside shops or cafes. It has an infant insert we've used from about 6months. It's light as a feather and has fantastic rolling momentum. On the flat smooth prom I can take my hands off the handlebar and just push it with alternate hands every few strides (it has a safety wrist strap)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now