Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Pushchair for very big 2 year old ?

(38 Posts)

Hi, i'm looking for a pushchair for my 2 year old boy, he's not tall (only 34inches) but he weighs 49/50lbs! as you can imagine he is incredibly chubby/plump which makes it hard to find him a pushchair, I can find ones which have a high enough weight limit but he's too large to fit in most of them and on others the harness doesn't fit around him. Anyone who knows of any pushchairs that would be available for him will be very much appreciated. Thanks x

Tiggywunkle Wed 03-Sep-14 21:10:43

I would have a look at the Baby Joggers and the TFK pushchairs. Also the Easywalker Mini stroller and Mosey.

TwelveGrimmauldPlace Wed 03-Sep-14 21:12:22

Mamas and papas armadillo - the seat unit is huge and it's a small pushchair

RandomMess Wed 03-Sep-14 21:15:31

Look at 3 wheelers - with tall backs and deep seats, XTS twister & easylife sport are good ones if you can find them. With the harness you could use baby reins with the anchor straps attached to the D rings - that is why they are there.

SolomanDaisy Wed 03-Sep-14 21:17:45

Baby Jogger City Mini is rated to 50 pounds. I don't think you'll find anything that is rated for higher weights.

I've looked at the baby jogger before but it's harness is too tight on him.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 03-Sep-14 22:18:00

Maclaren XLR. Its wider and taller than the average Maclaren umbrella fold and very robust.

googietheegg Wed 03-Sep-14 22:20:19

Unmm, sorry if this sounds awful but might it helped if he walked more rather than getting a pushchair for a 2 year old? Please ignore me if you have reasons for needing one.

The Maclaren XLR is was his current pushchair but he has outgrown it. Thanks for the recommendation though smile

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 03-Sep-14 22:27:43

Gosh he musy be quite large. Sorry. I jave a three year old who due to her height wears age 4 clothes and she fits the XLR no problem at all.

Is his heavy weight down to a medical issue?

Waggamamma Wed 03-Sep-14 22:28:13

Maclaren does a special needs pushchair for older/larger children.

If he doesn't have any special needs I'd be getting him to walk more to shed some of those pounds! My 91st centile 4 year old doesn't weigh that much. We stopped using a pushchair shortly after he turned two.

googietheegg- He broke his leg just after his 1st birthday. As you can imagine, this held him back a lot in terms of learning to walk and stopped him from being mobile. this is one of the reasons why he is so overweight. I can still understand what you were suggesting smile

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 03-Sep-14 22:29:44

What sort of carseat is he in? id imagine it has been challenging finding one to suit a short uet heavy two year old.

Waggamamma Wed 03-Sep-14 22:30:30
googietheegg Wed 03-Sep-14 22:34:56

Oh crikey Elaine, that sounds hard. Sorry to be insensitive.

ThinkIveBeenHacked- I am currently using a Britax King 2 carseat but its a rather tight squeeze to get him in it and fastened in

Waggamamma Wed 03-Sep-14 22:39:12

He is well over the weight limit for that carseat. It's not safe to have him in it. The harness is only tested to 18kg (around 40lbs).

googietheegg- Its ok, I couldnt expect you to know x

Thanks Waggamamma- It's a good job you told me about that smile I'll have to get a new one for him

Fairylea Wed 03-Sep-14 22:42:21

Nipper 360 from out n about. Light and sturdy at the same time and takes huge toddlers!

He's just within the weight limit for that one, i could use it if he doesnt gain any more weight.

MademoiselleG Wed 03-Sep-14 22:45:57

I hope you find a suitable pushchair for your son.
I'm mostly surprised that people seem to suggest a 2yo doesn't need a pushchair - surely they still do?

DD didn't use one after 18 months. Depends on the child.

I would assume that most 2yo's would need a pushchair too

RandomMess Wed 03-Sep-14 22:49:57

Remember the weight limit is what they have been tested/approved to, often they will take heavier weights.

i've just remembered BOB - the most brilliant 3 wheeler, they are now available in the UK I think imported by Britax?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now