Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

How long did you use your newborn travel system/pushchair for?

(51 Posts)
EssexGirlLottie Sat 07-Jun-14 20:29:38

Hi everyone. I'm currently 30+4 pg and am having a dilemma about travel systems/pushchairs (not to mention a battle with my DH!).

We can't decide whether some of the fashionable pushchairs, like Uppa baby vista, bugaboo bee are worth the money.

How long roughly did you use your pushchair that you bought for a newborn? Is it a case of using something they can lie flat in for 6 months to a year and then you end up buying a more lightweight stroller?

Help! (And thanks!)

gruber Sat 07-Jun-14 20:34:42

Still using mine at 16 months. Bought a huge pram. Used with separate carrycot from birth, swapped for the seat unit at 6 months. Still in use daily. Never used it with car seat on (although I did buy the adaptor) because I was so paranoid about baby being in car seat for any length of time.

We also bought a lightweight 3 wheel jogger- at same time- we use this when we need boot space, going for country walks etc or needing quick collapse.

Although, tbh, neither have been used as much as our slings....

Mumof3xox Sat 07-Jun-14 20:36:26

Still use mine 14 months in with dc3

However with dc1&2 I switched to a light stroller by 6/8 months!

I have a light stroller now as well but dislike it and don't use often

Clargo55 Sat 07-Jun-14 20:42:27

The fashionable prams seem to have a really good resale value on eBay so I would take that into account too. We are looking at an Icandy Peach £875 new, they sell for about £600 used on eBay. Quite good resale, if you can afford the initial outlay.

museumum Sat 07-Jun-14 20:45:08

I borrowed a lie-flat pram for about three months then bought a pushchair halfway between a lightweight stroller and a bugaboo type which I will probably use until ds is able to walk most of the time and just needs a cheap stroller for occasional use.

museumum Sat 07-Jun-14 20:46:05

Lightweight strollers almost always have small wheels, in a city with lots of cobbles they're pretty useless.

Forester Sat 07-Jun-14 20:52:56

I used the system while DD was in the original car seat that could be used with the system - so I think until she was about 1. I was very happy to change to a stroller at this stage as found the system awkward to collapse as it's not just in one piece and also my system wasn't very manouverable (sp?).

As a word of warning we bought our system from ebay (quinny) although it looked in very good condition I think the issues I had with manouverability was probably because it had already been very well used.

beccajoh Sat 07-Jun-14 20:54:46

Still using my Baby Jogger City Mini two years on. Love it and it's been great value. I'd probably get the GT version if I was buying now.

TheDudess Sat 07-Jun-14 21:02:51

BJCM GT is a fantastic option as it's about v £350 including the carrycot (which can be picked up even Cheaper on ebay) and you can also put a car seat on if you want. It is so easy to use and folds down very easily. We bought it precisely because we wanted something that would see us through and mean we didn't need to get a stroller. I believe it's becoming more and more popular now that people are realising that it works really well for older toddlers as well as babies.

littlegreengloworm Sat 07-Jun-14 21:04:54

Baby is 91 percentile so last in the carrycot part of pram for four months and I'm intending not to buy a stroller but use the buggy part for as long as I can.

I have to buy a double early next year as expecting again.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 07-Jun-14 21:08:01

Er, hang on - it's not just fashion! We have an Uppababy Vista. We got it because I walk a lot, on and off road, needed a big basket, and wanted something with good resale value and likely to last for a second and possibly third child. We also have a late height difference so needed the option to hangs the handle height.

I love it because it's a great pram, not because it's trendy.

Anyway, back to topic ... We still only use the pram (the toddler seat now) at 8 months. A lot of friends with babies the same age are switching to strollers now but I think lots of people use both for a long time.

jazzandh Sat 07-Jun-14 21:08:45

I bought a bugaboo frog (yes some years ago now) ...and Ds1 slept in carrycot from newborn. At about 3 months converted to pushchair and used daily thereafter.

I bought a maclaren to put in the car, but hardly ever used it as the Bugaboo was so much easier to push about.

years later Ds2 was the same.

In retrospect didn't need the stroller.....

Tommy Sat 07-Jun-14 21:08:45

if you get a decent one, it should last for years! The one I had went completely flat, could sit up and face either direction and had a car seat attachment. It lasted me through 3 DSs and finally went to the tip when it fell to pieces after constant use for about 7 years.

It was a Britax BTW

stargirl1701 Sat 07-Jun-14 21:10:09

Still using ours at 21 months. Stokke Xplory V3. We used the carrycot for 6 months then the seat.

We haven't seen or pushed anything we think is as good.

MyNameIsSuz Sat 07-Jun-14 21:11:51

We're still using ours at 20 months, though it's occasional these days as he likes to walk mostly. We also have a stroller, bought for a holiday as it took up less space in the car, and that's handy for just keeping in the boot and whipping out if needed but we hardly ever use it.

SqutterNutBaush Sat 07-Jun-14 21:12:24

I used a big pram with DS until he was 20 months.

Still using big pram with DD at 15 months and no intention of switching as we do a lot of walking and need good suspension and like to have rear facing.

We do have a smaller pushchair for use on public transport or chucking in the boot of the car though.

I think it depends if you like the one you buy - with dd1 we used it for a year then bought a lightweight stroller , with dd2 I'm still using hers at 22 months because I like that it faces me whereas our stroller doesn't so we only use that on holiday. Looking back though I probably could have used dd1's for longer - I think with the first you just enjoy buying new stuff wink

MrsAtticus Sat 07-Jun-14 21:17:40

I moved on to lightweight stroller at 6 months, and was very glad i hadn't spent too much on the lie flat parent facing one. Got one for 50 on ebay which converted from pram to pushchair. Didn't consider a travel system.
Personally I think money is better spent on a really good quality lightweight stroller that will last for years.

ShoeWhore Sat 07-Jun-14 21:17:51

I had a M&P Pliko Pramette and used it until they were walking, long after most of my friends had ditched their travel systems for a stroller type pushchair.

I think you need to think about your lifestyle : will you be folding/lifting it in and out of the car boot every day or getting on buses or mainly walking everywhere? You need the right pram for you.

Christelle2207 Sat 07-Jun-14 21:20:40

We have an uppababy vista still using loads at 10months. Great piece of kit. However it takes up the whole boot of the car so for travelling away we really needed something smaller and lighter.

FartyMcGhee Sat 07-Jun-14 21:20:47

I had a quinny and that was it. Stopped using it when he was about two.

Youhaveafriendinme Sat 07-Jun-14 21:22:57

DD is 20 months and we still use uppa baby vista all the time (good wheels, fantastic big basket) although I keep a smaller lighter buggy in the car now. I'll probably sell the vista when she's 2 - it has lasted well so I hope to get a decent price. I never regretted getting it.

MumOfTheMoos Sat 07-Jun-14 21:26:46

We use our silvercross surf to get to and from long dog walks and big trips into town with my DS 2.2 - we have a travel buggy that we keep in the car if we need it as well. We used the carry cot until 5 mths and even now, when we're on all day trips I can lie DS flat and he gets a good comfy sleep.

What with the resale value, it has been really worth it.

If you buy a really decent one you'll use it right through toddlerdom.

If you buy a crap one you'll buy a stroller in six months.

For good - keep an eye on what you see others pushing toddlers around in. Look for longevity in reviews (avoid if all the +ve ones are from people with babies only a few months old) check that it folds small enough to get in your boot with enough kit to go on holiday/a full supermarket shop etc. If you use public transport that it's reasonably narrow with a tight turning circle and decent brakes. (and that you can fold it while carrying baby if you have to)

Generically I would recommend bugaboo bees. I really think a decent pushchair that will do you hundreds of miles is worth spending money on.

Giraffeski Sat 07-Jun-14 21:33:47

We are still using our Uppababy Vista for Dd2 at 17 months, we will get a new one soon as I am due Dc3 in November and I want a double (planning Baby Jogger City Select).
We have a stroller that we keep at my mums house for when dd is there (one day a week) and have taken this on holiday once but it was a hand me down from someone, I don't know if we would have bothered buying it. Uppababy is adequate for most things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now