Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

BJCMGT or Versa?

(19 Posts)
nbryant Thu 26-Jun-14 09:41:37

Slightly unrelated point about buying from amazon... When buying big stuff I always check out camelcamelcamel.com. You put in the amazon URL and it tells you all the prices it's sold for so you can see any trends / lowest priced etc. then you put in a price you'd be willing to pay and it emails you if the site drop their prices. I've got some great bargains that way! Just be careful to buy straight away as low prices aren't held for long!

nwilson12 Tue 24-Jun-14 22:03:19

I chose the GT over the city mini due to the tyres as i take the dog out lots and the adjustable handle as I'm short and the city mini was too high for me. I don't really notice the weight, I've had heavier pushchairs in the past

allduffedup Tue 24-Jun-14 21:49:34

Yeah I also finally managed to see the Versa this weekend - I did like it but still happy I chose the BJCMGT. I've gotten more used to the idea of not having the parent facing option now I think. I managed to get a deluxe carrycot on ebay, which is bigger than the compact ones, so hopefully we will get to 6 months or so with that.

Basically we chose the BJCMGT over the BJCM because of the better wheels and potential for off-road. We like to go for walks occasionally, so it will be good for that, and I think it will give a better ride on regular pavement too. I've also heard that the seat is bigger on the BJCMGT than the BJCM (although not sure that this matters), and that the handlebar is adjustable whereas it is fixed on the BJCM. I think it's totally a personal choice though because I can see that the lighter weight of the BJCM is an advantage too.

moggle Tue 24-Jun-14 20:08:34

Hiya, I've also now tried folding / unfolding the versa in John Lewis and was pretty put off by how bulky and heavy it seems, I kept getting my leg stuck between the wheels. I can't even imagine what other similar models (vista, etc) are like to fold and cart about! Then we tried the city mini and did indeed lurve it! I'm also going to be sad to give up parent facing after they're out of the carrycot (but still have 4 months to change my mind a billion times!).

Anyway the thing I was wondering was why you guys chose the GT over the standard? In the shop we just looked at the city mini although there was a GT there; it wasn't until we'd left the shop that I remembered that we are moving house and the best route into town will be along a canal path so the GT might be better. (although I don't know how 'groomed' the path is, so it may not be necessary).
The only thing I'm really concerned about is the extra 2kg when pushing and hoiking in and out of the car. All the other differences are definitely in our favour. Don't think I'll be able to persuade DH on another buggy recce for a few months yet to compare and contrast!!

allduffedup Wed 18-Jun-14 23:10:49

My BJCMGT arrived today! It's lovely :-) Glad to hear your LO is fine forward facing :-)

nwilson12 Tue 17-Jun-14 09:34:39

smile I used my bjcmgt for the first time yesterday and it was great. So glad I swapped the versa. My baby didn't mind at all that he wasn't parent facing - it was just me but with the 2 windows i could see what he was up to and when flat he could look up at me. He even had 2 long naps in it and liked being able to kick about as the seat is huge. I'm sure your baby will be fine too.

allduffedup Mon 16-Jun-14 22:52:45

Thanks for the thoughts. I ended up ordering a BJCMGT too (although not arrived yet). I the end I realised that was the one I really wanted, not the Versa - I was basically considering the Versa because I felt like I should have the parent facing option, despite not liking it as much as the BJCMGT overall. The only thing I don't know of course, is what the baby would prefer! But I figure it's a good bet that the BJCMGT will be good for at least the first few months (in carrycot), and later on after 12 months or so. What I don't know is what happens between 4-12 months-ish. If the baby wants to be parent facing, then I'll have to consider buying a cheap second hand travel system or renting one to get us through those months.

nwilson12 Mon 16-Jun-14 08:33:09

Sorry for the long thread - I'm a bit of a buggyholic and have had 8 prams in two years. I bought a secondhand versa to replace my bee last week as i wanted sturdy but it only lasted a few days before I sold it on. The versa is a really nice pushchair and ticked my boxes and lovely to push but I found it too heavy to lift in and out of the car as I have to do that a couple of times a day. Also my 7 month old didn't like the bucket seat even with a footmuff. My 2 year old liked it though. So I have just got a bjcmgt instead. I decided to keep the bee so I have a parent option. Ive bought them all "new" of ebay/gumtree and they had only been used a couple of times, the bjgmgt had only been used once. The other pushchair I used which I really liked was the oyster and is suitable from birth although the fold is not as compact. The other one that is getting good reviews is the icandy raspberry which is out july/august. Its hard as there as so many to choose from.

Flabagasted Sun 15-Jun-14 22:30:40

I think 'Very' are doing the Versa online for £279 at the mo!

It def ticks all my boxes (and there were quite a few!!) just want to see it in the flesh b4 I purchase.

blamber Thu 05-Jun-14 17:07:43

Thanks!

allduffedup Mon 02-Jun-14 22:32:42

There is buggy baby.co.uk and winstanleys pramworld. You have to request the price though as they don't post it online

blamber Mon 02-Jun-14 20:00:03

What shops are they? I can't seem to find it.

allduffedup Fri 30-May-14 22:53:50

Oh no that's just typical! I was holding out so I could try it too :-( There are a couple of online shops where you can get it for £400 including raincover, carrycot, footmuff and tray, which isn't far off the same deal overall.

voodoochimp Fri 30-May-14 21:07:22

I have my 4 month old in a versa with a mamas and papas sola city wedge and it's fine.

moggle Fri 30-May-14 08:13:34

Did you get the versa for £220- I assume that was on amazon for the silver, it was such a ridiculous bargain! I was going to snap it up but wanted to try it out in real life first (hopefully today) and then last night it went back to £399, gutted! Oh well am only 15 weeks...

Ihateparties Thu 29-May-14 09:56:33

Although annoying that's quite easily fixed if you're willing to ahem.. adapt it a little. Ie use a wedge to flatten the seat, silver cross surf nest, m&p sola city wedge, stokke wedge etc. They're a great middle ground for the too big/nosy for the carrycot but too young for the bucket seat stage.

allduffedup Thu 29-May-14 05:04:07

Thanks for the advice. Thinking again, and on the flip side the Versa seat isn't suitable until 6 months - so what if baby grows out of the carrycot sooner or hates it! I can't win!

Ihateparties Wed 28-May-14 23:41:45

You should be able to get a gt cheaper than that £320 although not quite as cheap as £220, the versa is an absolute bargain for that. smile

I don't know, I've used both and they're both very very good. Who can tell re your baby and the parent facing thing. I struggled with forward facing them at 5-6m more than any of the dc did but none were bothered about seeing me in any particular way, some babies are definitely more fussy on that score.

I found carting the folded versa around more difficult than the gt but for up and down out of the car boot (which wasn't what I was doing) I don't know how much difference the bit of extra weight really makes. The gt isn't floaty light iyswim so I would probably on balance take parent facing over the imo fairly minimal weight saving.

allduffedup Wed 28-May-14 23:22:14

Went to look at prams at John Lewis/Mothercare last weekend. I really loved the BJCMGT - so easy to fold and nice and compact when folded up. Would have liked to try the Versa too, but I can't find anywhere locally that stocks it.

The main advantage of the Versa seems to be the parent facing option, and the disadvantage is the extra weight. At first I wasn't worried that the BJCMGT has no parent facing option, as I would use a carrycot for the first few months anyway. But then I read some threads where people said their DC didn't like forward facing even at 10-12 months! Is this common? If so I guess I should play it safe and go for the Versa? The other big advantage is cost - I can get the Versa online for £220, which is a great price and £100 cheaper than BJCMGT.

Mainly I think I will be using it around town, perhaps with the odd country walk, and will be lifting it in and out of the car quite a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now